5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Rear Bumper options

drsubie

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Crew--which wife had backed up into a concrete stem wall that dented the rear bumper and dinged the tailgate :mad:; anyhow, I am thinking about replacing the rear bumper myself rather than having a body shop fix it (was quoted $3200 for them to order new rear bumper, rear tailgate, color match, then reuse the plastic bits).

Looked into options and there are a few, but was wondering if anyone else has gone aftermarket on bumpers (particularly the rear), and how they liked it... I'm not wanting to replace the front bumper (not unless that gets dented too)...

So far, I'm thinking of:

Iron Cross Hardline

Fab Fours Premium

Fab Fours Vengeance

Road Armor Stealth

Opinions or other options? I need to make sure it's got the cutouts for the rear sensors, and I kind of like the edge steps to make the bed more easily accessible... I don't need to mount rear back up lights or have winch rings...

Last edited:

nickplmr4

Reaction score

Glenn54

Reaction score
I like the way the Barricade bumpers look too. I wonder if they are really heavy duty?

drsubie

Reaction score
Hmm...got me thinking about Barricade... they look like the Fab Four Stealth Vengeance, as well as another brand Torxe

Definitely interested...

R

Rob5589

I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Crew--which wife had backed up into a concrete stem wall that dented the rear bumper and dinged the tailgate :mad:; anyhow, I am thinking about replacing the rear bumper myself rather than having a body shop fix it (was quoted $3200 for them to order new rear bumper, rear tailgate, color match, then reuse the plastic bits).

Looked into options and there are a few, but was wondering if anyone else has gone aftermarket on bumpers (particularly the rear), and how they liked it... I'm not wanting to replace the front bumper (not unless that gets dented too)...

So far, I'm thinking of:

Iron Cross Hardline

Fab Fours Premium

Fab Fours Vengeance

Road Armor Stealth

Opinions or other options? I need to make sure it's got the cutouts for the rear sensors, and I kind of like the edge steps to make the bed more easily accessible... I don't need to mount rear back up lights or have winch rings...
Of all those listed, the FF Premium looks pretty stout. The others are too "mad max" for my taste.
Barricade stuff is generally made in China and coming from the Jeep community, not a ton better than Smittybilt. The same stuff can be found on Amazon under the EAutogrilles name, often times cheaper.

drsubie

Reaction score
Ok, Barricade bumper ordered--I'll be the test guinea pig & update when I get it put on!

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Let us know how the Barricade is!
I've read good things and for the price and options, looks great!

drsubie

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the link--under $600 (more than half the price of these other bumpers), free 3 day shipping!

One thing that turned me off of some of the aftermarket bumpers was the fact that they weigh a ton (I think one of the Fab Fours is 175 lbs!). If I go down the rabbit hole of replacing the front bumper w/ an aftermarket one, I don't like the idea of adding something like 400 total lbs of dead weight to an already heavy truck!

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the link--under $600 (more than half the price of these other bumpers), free 3 day shipping!

One thing that turned me off of some of the aftermarket bumpers was the fact that they weigh a ton (I think one of the Fab Fours is 175 lbs!). If I go down the rabbit hole of replacing the front bumper w/ an aftermarket one, I don't like the idea of adding something like 400 total lbs of dead weight to an already heavy truck!
Can you please update us on how heavy it is?
Lucky you guys in the US. :cautious:

kittyjo

Reaction score
Anybody find a front bumper with sensors and 40 inch light bar? I know addictive desert design has one for 2k... anyone little cheaper?

kittyjo

Reaction score

drsubie

Reaction score
Apologies for the long delay, but I finally got the bumper on!

The Barricade bumper came in a big box that was absolutely thrashed by UPS. Despite this, the bumper didn't have a scratch or dent. Amazingly fast 3d shipment, must have cost a bundle!

It went onto my '19 Limited, and the hardest part of the install was getting the backup sensors attached securely--that's the only nitpick I have w/ the bumper, is the plastic 'clips' they give don't quite work with the OEM sensors... I'll have to probably jerry rig some zip ties to properly secure the sensors, but they seem to be staying put for now...

Pros:
--the bumper probably weighs ~65 to 85 lbs (because of the awkward shape, I didn't actually weigh it)
--not sure what gauge steel, but it was heavy duty enough I'm sure it can take a bit of abuse and hold up.
--textured powdercoating looked nice and uniform
--1/2 the price of other big-name brands
--nice blend of 'stealthy' look with just a touch of 'Urban assault' lol
--compatible with rear Mopar OEM fold down step, trailer hitch and attachment, and rear sensors (though see below)
--mounting option for 2 cube lights
--everything lined up and install was pretty straight forward; didn't have to touch exhaust tips or anything

Cons:
--the little 'notches' on the corners are kinda' tall and shallow, I'd still use the Mopar fold down step to step up into the bed if I needed to
--welds were kinda' messy, but as they are on the inside, they are not visible and are cosmetic
--attachment of OEM rear sensors using their plastic tabs didn't quite work, may need to jerry-rig zipties to properly secure them

--the OEM bumper is INCREDIBLY flimsy--probably weighs ~25lbs all told. Appears to be ultra thin stamped metal w/ a bunch of plastic parts attached to it. I'm surprised under the bumper there wasn't any kind of box beam metal reinforcement; definitely a 1 and done product. Maybe RAM designed the rear bed to fold like a pretzel to absorb impact, I don't know, but I was appalled at how thin the OEM bumper was!

Overall, would definitely buy again if I had to!

20191125_080327.jpg
20191125_080334.jpg
20191125_080348.jpg 20191203_150826.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up.
Curious. What happen to your tailgate?

drsubie

Reaction score
Another member asked me for some pics showing both front and back, to see how the rear black bumper looks in conjunction w/ OEM front. My front bumper is body-colored; the black rear bumper might stand out more/look odd if I had a chrome front bumper, YMMV...

nearly 1 yr into ownership, the rear bumper is still looking great (my truck is parked outside in Pacific NW). No noticeable rust, powdercoating looks great. So far, no one has dared to test out the sturdiness (including my wife...).

Would definitely buy again, much more sturdy and most importantly, cheaper, than going OEM route...

Attachments

• 20201112_104250.jpg
    20201112_104250.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 205
  • 20201112_104256.jpg
    20201112_104256.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20201112_104258.jpg
    20201112_104258.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 203

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Man I like it. Got me wanting something I don't need haha. Thanks for the write up and year review. Ever figure out the sensors?

Users who are viewing this thread