5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

HockeyDuck

Reaction score
That's the downside to exposed filter systems is that they can suck in the hot air. By having the cover on it only brings cold air into the intake. Can't hurt anything but it will not function as well without the cover.
I am new to the Ram/Truck world as this is my first one, but this has always been an interesting concept to me. With my BMW’s I had in the past I experimented with both a simple open intake that sucked air from the engine bay and a sealed unit somewhat similar to this intake. I honestly didn’t notice any difference in performance but just had more noise. Could be totally different on these trucks but would be interesting to see. I went with this intake for warranty reasons, and I assume leaving the cover off would void the warranty if they ever found out.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say this,
- IF you are looking for performance gains - I can say this CAI absolutely feeds more air to the Borla exhaust and definitely sounds better on the mid-high end (worth it alone)
- IF you are looking for MPG increase - this is not the part for you, atleast in my experience thus far (I do tend to drive fairly aggressive but I have seen a 1-2 mpg decrease).
- IF you are looking for a loud CAI sucking noise - if you have factory exhaust, I'm sure you will hear it, slightly. However aftermarket exhaust, you are likely popping the hood to hear.
- IF you are looking for performance gains - although I have not dyno'd (no plan to in near feature) I can say typically a CAI adds b/n 15-30hp so assuming it did to mine also.

I am curious though, would removing the plastic cover from the top of filter, would it cause any issues or create problems with the filter?
- If you remove the cover, I can guarantee you would be able to hear the sucking noise a lot better. The cover almost acts as a suppressor I feel...

My stock exhaust sounds a "bit" more "beefy" as well.
I, too, posted that I could hear a slight 'sucking' noise - nothing like the CAI I installed on my Silverado.
HP would be at the engine, generally (not at the rear wheels).

I will be trying to get some more 0-30 & 0-60 runs .. then remove the cover and redo them again - as soon as I can.

If you remove the cover, will that not allow all of the engine bay HEAT to enter the intake which defeats the purpose?????

Yes, but since it is only 26*F here, I'm not worried -- now in the summer, indeed! .. unless I can get a functioning hood that mates to the lower lip for RAM'd air.

I am new to the Ram/Truck world as this is my first one, but this has always been an interesting concept to me. With my BMW’s I had in the past I experimented with both a simple open intake that sucked air from the engine bay and a sealed unit somewhat similar to this intake. I honestly didn’t notice any difference in performance but just had more noise. Could be totally different on these trucks but would be interesting to see. I went with this intake for warranty reasons, and I assume leaving the cover off would void the warranty if they ever found out.

welcome aboard!

Just put the cover back on and take it in -- there will be more dirt of course, but if you live near the country, just say that driving on all those country roads with this "off road use only" item it what caused all that additional dust/dirt :)

Tim N

HockeyDuck

Reaction score
Thanks! That’s exactly what I was thinking. I don’t go off road too much and would just throw it back on if I did to prevent that much direct getting in there. I bet for street driving where I live it would be just fine, especially in the winter.

I’m gonna give it some time on the way it’s meant to work to see how I like it as is first. I want to check mileage but I also put on a Pulsar and Pedal Commander at the same time so it will be more of a combined change. Have a 300 mile drive in a couple weeks so that will be a good test.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so I did some more 'pulls' today.

and, as always, when trying to grab some 0-60's someone would always be doing 35-45 on the on-ramp to the 70 zone :(

Outside Temperature44.7°F
Wind Chill43.2°F
Heat Index44.7°F
Dewpoint28.7°F
Humidity53%
Barometer30.224 inHg
Barometer Trend (3 hours)-0.024 inHg

stock air box 0-30's : 2.61 (average)
RAM AIR 0-30's: 2.55 (consistent) - with Cover installed
RAM AIR 0-30's: 2.94 (consistent) - with Cover Removed

ENGINE: 900 miles
FUEL: 85 (without Ethanol) - 1/2 tank after running from previous fill-up.
2WD - TOW OFF - TRACTION OFF - ECO OFF

I'd like to get a Dyno done with a basic tune.

My Personal Thoughts:
FCA Engineers did their homework. I have stock exhaust and 3.21 rearend. Engine seems to run a bit smoother at idle. The exhaust has a "growlier" sound (like when you first start the vehicle) with the RAM AIR installed (not much, but my co-workers noticed it and asked if I changed it out). Throttle respond is a bit smoother/snappier as well (not like a Throttle Commander or whatever the aftermarket item is, but I, myself, notice it being easier).

Is it worth the $750? That is for you to decide. Some would spend that on shoes/sneakers. Others would spend that on a new speaker system. Fuel MPG did drop in the 50 miles I drove it -- yes, I was getting on it, but no different than when I had the stock air box installed. I'm guessing the onboard computer would relearn over time, but a simple tune to tweak the fuel ratio would be best.

Tim N

Attachments

• 20191102_114929.jpg
    20191102_114929.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 154

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guys...just want to add my 2 cents again. The RAM AIR was designed as a sealed box...to run it without the cover is just plain idiotic. It is a VERY different design than the Vararam so you cannot compare the two in that manner. The Vararam was designed to seal against the hood of the vehicle using a rubber gasket to keep the hot engine air out. The RAM AIR was not designed this way and MUST have the cover on to perform properly and keep hot engine air out of the intake. Why spend all this money on a RAM AIR only to use it incorrectly???

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys...just want to add my 2 cents again. The RAM AIR was designed as a sealed box...to run it without the cover is just plain idiotic. It is a VERY different design than the Vararam so you cannot compare the two in that manner. The Vararam was designed to seal against the hood of the vehicle using a rubber gasket to keep the hot engine air out. The RAM AIR was not designed this way and MUST have the cover on to perform properly and keep hot engine air out of the intake. Why spend all this money on a RAM AIR only to use it incorrectly???

Indeed .. just wanted to give my numbers and information to those who were asking/questioning.

Tim N

HockeyDuck

Reaction score

That makes perfect sense. I didn’t think about the fact the vararam does seal against the hood. I wasn’t strongly considering it, but was just curious since I had run cars in the past with intakes that just sit in the engine bay and they performed just fine.

I’ll be keeping mine as designed.

cheers!

J4U

Reaction score
Too tired yesterday to install mine, but I opened it this morning. Probably install it after services, but did notice something.

The top cover has a seam around the top half and pressure tabs underneath. As if the top half was meant to be removed at some point. I wonder if that is there for some future possibilities? Hood scoop, Ram'd air, etc.

Why else would you mold it with a seam unless it's cheaper than molding it as a one piece cover.

Just a thought.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The top cover has a seam around the top half and pressure tabs underneath. As if the top half was meant to be removed at some point. I wonder if that is there for some future possibilities? Hood scoop, Ram'd air, etc.

Why else would you mold it with a seam unless it's cheaper than molding it as a one piece cover.

The top piece has to come off to change/clean the filter after installation ;) Maybe I am missing your question, but when I look at the pics of the RAM AIR, the top piece is one molded piece that then attaches to the base unit. Is your's different? RAM AIR.jpg

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
The top piece has to come off to change/clean the filter after installation ;) Maybe I am missing your question, but when I look at the pics of the RAM AIR, the top piece is one molded piece that then attaches to the base unit. Is your's different? View attachment 39216
The top cover
cf58046f5c8dd443e12968e69a4042d3.jpg
ff0288bf7a441a74a8b3135edcedccaf.jpg

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s the base. The top/cover does have a seam. View attachment 39217

That image looks familiar LOL

The top cover
cf58046f5c8dd443e12968e69a4042d3.jpg
ff0288bf7a441a74a8b3135edcedccaf.jpg

2 pieces cheaper than 1 ..
but, it leaves those of us creative types to be able to modify (and void the warranty) to create a seal to the RAM AIR HOOD if we get one. (Those melted/weld points would need to be drilled out of course)

Reactions: J4U

J4U

Reaction score
That image looks familiar LOL

2 pieces cheaper than 1 ..
but, it leaves those of us creative types to be able to modify (and void the warranty) to create a seal to the RAM AIR HOOD if we get one. (Those melted/weld points would need to be drilled out of course)
Figured that's what it was, but the mind started wondering.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a comment maid a while back that it would be compatible with the Ram air hood they have on one of their concept trucks at the moment. I can’t say for sure if that was mentioned by Ram or just some speculation from the community.

J4U

Reaction score
Easy peasy, but man you have to be 6' 5" to get into the huge cavern of an engine bay. Don't know how you guys do it with lifts. Even with step stools and bench it was interesting.

Felt like a kid trying to reach the monkey bars that are too high. Too old for this air balancing trapese crap.

Now to wait for all my tech to come back on the screen. Glad I knew disconnecting the negative would cause it...I might have jumped off the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread