5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carven exhaust

Blee2221

Reaction score
I really want this exhaust but it's probably too loud on cold start. But I leave for work at 4 am and don't want to have angry family and neighbors.

I’m in the same boat. That’s why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone else provide some input on how loud the carven is on cold start?

Maxram

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. That’s why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone else provide some input on how loud the carven is on cold start?

Without resonators it's as loud as it gets on cold starts imo. You could easily hear it from anywhere inside my house with all the doors and windows closed including from the basement. With resonators on it's not bad at all.

Blee2221

Reaction score
Without resonators it's as loud as it gets on cold starts imo. You could easily hear it from anywhere inside my house with all the doors and windows closed including from the basement. With resonators on it's not bad at all.

I wasn’t planning on removing the resonators. Was just going to do the cut and clamp muffler and debating on whether the 5” tips is worth it. Good to know. Thanks. Wonder if carven will have a black friday sale.

Maxram

Reaction score
I just bought the R muffler by itself and tips separate. Imo tips are definitely worth the money. Does change the sound for the better vs stock tips and they look far better too. Had my muffler shop put the muffler on, I put the tips on myself. It's the same exact thing as cut and clamp for less $. Total cost for me was around $350 ($90 muffler, $200 tips, $60 to put the muffler on). And no worries about exhaust leak as long as the guy at the shop knows how to weld.

csm41

Reaction score
Does anyone get drone with this setup? I ask because I pull a 31" camper trailer and I push higher RPM's when on hills, etc.

Maxram

Reaction score
Does anyone get drone with this setup? I ask because I pull a 31" camper trailer and I push higher RPM's when on hills, etc.
No drone imo very tolerable from inside the cab. The factory resonators definitely do their job.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is loud but it isn't terrible. I can hear it from anywhere in the house but it isn't a loud rumble that is going to wake you up. It also only takes about 5 seconds for it to calm down. I live in a pretty densely packed neighborhood and I start it at 4 am every morning. I've had it on since they released them last year (Carven said I may have been the first actual customer with an install they knew of) and have not had a complaint yet.

Maxram

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Carven TR series muffler installed or compared it to the R series?

Been looking for someone with it on a 5th gen with no luck. Based on all the videos I've seen on the 4th gen version and comparing that to my experience with the R (with and without Resonators) I personally think the TR without Resonators would sound perfect on these trucks. I'm considering testing one but I'm probably gonna wait a while, still need to do my CAI and lift.

LuvGun

Reaction score
I wasn’t planning on removing the resonators. Was just going to do the cut and clamp muffler and debating on whether the 5” tips is worth it. Good to know. Thanks. Wonder if carven will have a black friday sale.
I emailed them with that question and they say there will be a black Friday sale.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
Been looking for someone with it on a 5th gen with no luck. Based on all the videos I've seen on the 4th gen version and comparing that to my experience with the R (with and without Resonators) I personally think the TR without Resonators would sound perfect on these trucks. I'm considering testing one but I'm probably gonna wait a while, still need to do my CAI and lift.

Just placed my order for the Carven TR. Expected arrival is Tuesday so hopefully I can find some time too get it welded in soon. Ill post a video and review once done.

Mac

Maxram

Reaction score
Just placed my order for the Carven TR. Expected arrival is Tuesday so hopefully I can find some time too get it welded in soon. Ill post a video and review once done.

Mac
Awesome looking forward to hearing it!

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
A78FCE36-D5FA-4121-85D0-6FEEF3D2AD7C.jpeg
Mini water heater is out and Carven TR is in. Nice low rumble at idle and wakes up nicely during acceleration. Drone is almost non existent. iPhone videos came out barely audible so I’ll try the GoPro soon and work on getting a video up.

Maxram

Reaction score
View attachment 45956
Mini water heater is out and Carven TR is in. Nice low rumble at idle and wakes up nicely during acceleration. Drone is almost non existent. iPhone videos came out barely audible so I’ll try the GoPro soon and work on getting a video up.
Hope to hear it soon!

thatbluerebel

Reaction score
Here's videos of mine with and without the resonators.

Without Resonators

With Resonators
This sounds like an exhaust leak or the weep holes. There's 2 on the front and 2 on the back on each resonator. Plug them all and that paper bag sound will go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/