5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at how dirty the cabin air filter is after 15,000 miles.

RamZone93

Reaction score
The owner's manual says to change the cabin air filter after 20,000 miles, but I would recommend 15,000 if you run your AC a lot, given how dirty I found mine was! I also replaced the engine air filter as well, and it was pretty dirty. I think every 15,000 miles for both is a good idea. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190921_162105.jpg
    20190921_162105.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 20190921_162109.jpg
    20190921_162109.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 411

clam

Reaction score
I did mine at 12k miles and it was just as dirty. It depends on how dusty or dirty the air is on your drive. Most of my miles involve highway but it’s through a lot of construction zones so the air is pretty dusty.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been changing all filters with the oil change schedule... until I checked my cabin filter recently (and it was intense) I've decided regardless I'm going to change them early spring and late fall... few extra bucks a year but worth it long term.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Wow. Surprising. My truck is only at 5k so haven’t done either air filter yet. How much are these filters? Are they pretty standard, or are they high priced, hard to find, one offs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamZone93

Reaction score
Wow. Surprising. My truck is only at 5k so haven’t done either air filter yet. How much are these filters? Are they pretty standard, or are they high priced, hard to find, one offs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My cabin air filter is a MOPAR air filter from the dealership for 20 dollars, the engine air filter is MOPAR and from the dealership for 30 dollars. Pretty easy to change, you just have to take the glove box out. It's kind of a pain at first because you're nervous that the plastic will snap, but once you get it down it's easy. I wish it were like my charger where it was in the engine bay and you just had to pull the cover off.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My cabin air filter is a MOPAR air filter from the dealership for 20 dollars, the engine air filter is MOPAR and from the dealership for 30 dollars. Pretty easy to change, you just have to take the dashboard out. It's kind of a pain at first because you're nervous that the plastic will snap, but once you get it down it's easy. I wish it were like my charger where it was in the engine bay and you just had to pull the cover off.
You mean glovebox, right?! Taking out the dashboard might be overkill :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Guys, here are the instructions on how to do this. Pretty straight forward.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning:Distribution:FILTER, Cabin Air:Removal and Installation REM...pdf
    304.9 KB · Views: 234

Rich

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to check the AC drains?

I went to my dealer to day and said the AC smells a bit musty, they showed me the filter with some small amount of black on it and they said it was mold and that could be the smell.

I smelled the filter and it didn't smell moldy, and I sometimes see condensation on my windshield when I first start the truck on a cool morning. It goes away pretty quickly.

I asked them to check the AC drain(s).

Their answer was "the AC drains are buried deep above the transmission, so they are not easily accessible to allow them to blow them out or clean them. Damn, I hate this dealer!

I asked about the tube that appears to be a drain on the firewall, and the service advisor told me not to touch that, it's not the drain!

So does anyone have a service document that shows where the AC drain(s) are located and how to check / clean them? With only 11,000 miles on my truck, it's hard to imagine they are clogged already, but I want to check them!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
We live in dirt central...2 miles of dirt grade road up to our front gate and even driving 10mph raises a cloud of dirt that hangs for 5 minutes after you pass. I wash the truck, wax in the garage and next day there’s a layer of dirt/dust from end to end. I’ve got 6k on the odometer in 3 months and fully expect to change all filters with the next oil change in the spring. Probably not the healthiest to breathe all that airborn dirt, but at least I don’t vape!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to check the AC drains?

I went to my dealer to day and said the AC smells a bit musty, they showed me the filter with some small amount of black on it and they said it was mold and that could be the smell.

I smelled the filter and it didn't smell moldy, and I sometimes see condensation on my windshield when I first start the truck on a cool morning. It goes away pretty quickly.

I asked them to check the AC drain(s).

Their answer was "the AC drains are buried deep above the transmission, so they are not easily accessible to allow them to blow them out or clean them. Damn, I hate this dealer!

I asked about the tube that appears to be a drain on the firewall, and the service advisor told me not to touch that, it's not the drain!

So does anyone have a service document that shows where the AC drain(s) are located and how to check / clean them? With only 11,000 miles on my truck, it's hard to imagine they are clogged already, but I want to check them!

Typical Chrysler practice is to drain condensate through the firewall. I've enclosed a picture of the HVAC assembly removed from the vehicle that's in the service manual. I'm unsure, but I would guess that the tube in the illustration is the drain since it is at the lowest point of the assembly. It appears to have a seal around it, indicating that it protrudes through the firewall or some other bulkhead.

Some vehicles have plenum drains (Dakotas) , usually two, and are part of the cab. They can be difficult on some models to get to, but are not the drain for the air conditioner.

I'm not sure you are talking to a well informed person.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024413 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies. Apparently the page will not accept a MSWord.doc.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024413 miles.

Rich

Reaction score
Typical Chrysler practice is to drain condensate through the firewall. I've enclosed a picture of the HVAC assembly removed from the vehicle that's in the service manual. I'm unsure, but I would guess that the tube in the illustration is the drain since it is at the lowest point of the assembly. It appears to have a seal around it, indicating that it protrudes through the firewall or some other bulkhead.

Some vehicles have plenum drains (Dakotas) , usually two, and are part of the cab. They can be difficult on some models to get to, but are not the drain for the air conditioner.

I'm not sure you are talking to a well informed person.

Best regards,
Dusty

Could you print it to a .PDF and include the document here? Or somehow send me a message with how to find it?

Thanks!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you print it to a .PDF and include the document here? Or somehow send me a message with how to find it?

Thanks!
Here's a .pdf.

Best regards,
Dusty

Attachments

• Ram DT HVAC Assembly.pdf
    125.8 KB · Views: 87

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a .pdf.

Best regards,
Dusty
I guess it won't open directly. Select "convert to .jpg" at the bottom left. It opened for me.

Regards,
Dusty

Rich

Reaction score
I was able to open it, thanks!

I assume the large 'port' on the bottom in the middle is the drain? It's hard to tell as there is no details with this, just one vague (to me) picture. Am I looking at the AC box from the firewall side towards the cab?

I was hoping for some sort of instructions on how to find the drain port, and then to check it or clear it.

I may have to crawl around under my passenger side of my dashboard with a flashlight to see if I can determine what goes through the firewall and where.

Or perhaps I'll try to visit a different dealer that seems to have more a competent service crew and ask them. :)

Rich

Reaction score
I took a look at my truck to see what I could find.

Looking under the glove box, above the passenger foot area, just behind the heat outlet vent, I can see what appears to be a port going through the firewall.

Looking from inside of the engine compartment, on the right side, about in this same area with some rough measurements, this port seems to match up with that looks like the open drain. This is the same drain I asked my dealer about and was told "it's not a drain, don't touch that".

After the truck is warmed up, if I go for a drive, then stop somewhere for 20 or 30 minutes, then come out and start the truck, I still see condensation start on the inside of the windshield for about 20 seconds, before it dissipates. I also have a faint odor of musty / mold. So there is moisture coming from somewhere, so I want to check the A condensate drain(s).

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a look at my truck to see what I could find.

Looking under the glove box, above the passenger foot area, just behind the heat outlet vent, I can see what appears to be a port going through the firewall.

Looking from inside of the engine compartment, on the right side, about in this same area with some rough measurements, this port seems to match up with that looks like the open drain. This is the same drain I asked my dealer about and was told "it's not a drain, don't touch that".

After the truck is warmed up, if I go for a drive, then stop somewhere for 20 or 30 minutes, then come out and start the truck, I still see condensation start on the inside of the windshield for about 20 seconds, before it dissipates. I also have a faint odor of musty / mold. So there is moisture coming from somewhere, so I want to check the A condensate drain(s).

Yes, I think that is what you are looking for. Back in the heat of the summer I experimented with it by putting a ~3/4" clear drain line on it to route the dripping water off of my frame. It is definitely the AC drain.

I attempted this since it was a large hole facing directly into the HVAC box and I also wanted a clear puddle of AC condensate for comparison to other vehicles. The way Ram drains it onto the frame, most of it evaporates or runs off who knows where so you never get that simple, large puddle that tells the back of your brain that your AC is working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread