5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downsizing wheels and tires from 22" to 20"

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has the 22" wheel and tire set up which is not good for Alaska driving. So my plan is to downsize to a 20" rim and put some nice all terrain tires on. I already have a set of 20" Blizzaks for winter driving from my F-150.

I want to hear any feedback on all terrain tires that you have, or have had. I am considering the BF Goodrich KO2, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Duratracs, Toyo Open Country AT2, Bridgestone Revo 3, and Cooper Discoverer AT3.

fish mojo

Reaction score
Back country all Terrain, sold thru Les Schwab. I'm sure you can buy these and have them shipped and installed too. Mountain Snowflake rating, looks great, quiet riding, great warranty.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No tire feedback yet (still waiting on truck) but I'm 100% with you on the 22's. After popping a tire on my current ride on a Dallas highway overpass, I'm looking for a little more sidewall so I don't ever repeat that experience.
I've also driven some sketchy AK roads and wasn't sure the rental was going to make it!

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How good are the falken wild peak that come with the orp, are they any good?

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
I’m kinda surprised I haven’t seen more posts about this exact issue, and I’m right there with Edwards, I’m in the DFW metroplex and won’t trust my truck (or my driving skills) to a popped tire on a 22” rim - thus my ordered truck is coming in on factory 20”s. I think I read one post from Pennsylvania on this issue... sorry, didn’t mean to hi-jack the thread - back to all terrain tire for AK - I’m curious to see the responses- come on all Rebel owners chime in.

JXL118

Reaction score
Different truck (Nissan Titan) different size (265/70R18). OEM was Wrangler SRA's and tread life sucked. I think i needed new tires at 20,000 miles. There was some debate that non-oem SRA's were better but i wasn't willing to try. I think I've since had KO's, silent armor's, and 2 sets of KO2's. The silent armor's never seemed to have as good of handling and they weren't nearly as good in the wet and snow as the KO2's which i really liked. After the silent armor's i decided to stick with what worked. Never had any puncture or sidewall issues with anything other than a nail in the SRA's.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I love my tires, they held up good in heavy rains as well. I've taken them on some muddy trails too. BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain get the job done.

Last edited:

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can somebody with the stock 20" wheels confirm their tire size? Is it 275/60/20?

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have stock 20” wheels and the tire size is 275/55/20.

Great thanks! I am looking at the Bridgestone Revo 3s in 275/60/20. I wonder if there is an easy way to calibrate the speedo for the difference.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Great thanks! I am looking at the Bridgestone Revo 3s in 275/60/20. I wonder if there is an easy way to calibrate the speedo for the difference.
Mine is not even a full mph off according to GPS and what the vehicle tells me. Even on the Uconnect Nav it lights up the speeding sign notice correctly

*Note my Ram came with stock 18s

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Do 295/65/20 tires need lift kit or level kit?

not 100% sure at this point. i did order the off-road package- so 1" taller, all the way around. i will probably will just do a 2" front level kit and will work for sure. there are only a few levelled 4x4- off road package pictures out there. trying to find out what they used. ready lift etc.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dumb question. I have ordered new wheels and tires for my truck. My plan is to sell the 22s along with the wheels. My question is should I leave the tire sensors in, or remove? Also, since the 2019s have a 6 lug set up now, will these wheels fit any other trucks, or am I limited to the 2019 Rams??

csm41

Reaction score
I was thinking of having my factory 18's powdercoated black and going to a larger than stock tire. Anybody ever consider doing something along those lines?

csm41

Reaction score
Nice! That came out great. I was thinking of doing all black badging also with my Blue Streak paint as well.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I “downgraded” from my 22” wheels on my limited to a set of 20” Laramie sport wheels. I love them.
ca56814bc90e9d0e142c32db537a6466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread