5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK sound system amp overheating

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Even with all the fuss about the HK sound system not being loud, I absolutely love the quality of the system and am very hopeful ram will come through for us and deliver an update to fix the sound level problem. In the meantime I decided to explore the system a little more and found the amp under the drivers seat, and noticed how little air ventilation could get to it. I played it at a moderate volume for about half an hour right before I found the amp, and I noticed that it was extremely hot. So in the name of preventative maintenance I decided to add some heat sinks to the top of the amp, they are attached with double sided thermal tape. Updates to follow on how this setup works. IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4101.JPG

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love it. Can you post what sinks you used?
Wonder what effect the ventilated seat fans have on moving air down there because I plan to use them all the time.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. $45? Don't want to cheap out but that seems high for a "maybe it needs it" mod.

On a separate note - I wonder if you'd get better cooling by removing the third one that runs perpendicular to the other two? I don't remember any fluid dynamics so just a thought.

RBRK

Reaction score
Wouldn't the foam tape take away from the heat disipation idea of the fins? If it was metal to metal the fins might help some.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
As far as heat dissipation the direction of the fins is irrelevant, the idea of a heat sink is to add a material that has a good heat conductivity. Basically it just gives the heat a larger area to dissipate to and not be trapped in the amplifier.

And the tape I used is a thermal conductivity tape made specifically for transferring heat. It’s not a foam tape, more of a white paste just in a tape form.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Did you take a before temp and after mod temp
I never took a before temp but it was very hot to the touch, but i haven't had it running long enough to see if its keeping it cooler (I only live 3 minutes from where I work, unfortunatley lol)

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
Great post and mod! I was wondering if this system includes thermal monitoring or throttling, curious to see if you noticed any improvement in sound? Long shot I know, but I read somewhere that the subwoofer has a cutout or throttling if I remember correctly.... need to see if I can find that again.

Separate item but related - did you notice how thick or what gage the power wires to this amp are? Waiting for my ordered truck otherwise I’d look at it myself... I see wiring in the background in what I believe is black conduit (or it’s a harness wrapped in tape) but it looks like it’s for the seat. I figure a 900 watt amp has 4 gage running to it (or it’s not a 900 watt rms amp....).

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Great post and mod! I was wondering if this system includes thermal monitoring or throttling, curious to see if you noticed any improvement in sound? Long shot I know, but I read somewhere that the subwoofer has a cutout or throttling if I remember correctly.... need to see if I can find that again.

Separate item but related - did you notice how thick or what gage the power wires to this amp are? Waiting for my ordered truck otherwise I’d look at it myself... I see wiring in the background in what I believe is black conduit (or it’s a harness wrapped in tape) but it looks like it’s for the seat. I figure a 900 watt amp has 4 gage running to it (or it’s not a 900 watt rms amp....).
That'd be cool if you could find that article again. And as far as the power wires goes I went out and checked and found that there are two plugs (about 10 wires each) that are plugged into the amp and each plug looks as if it has a power and ground wire that look to be 8-10 gauge, plenty for a sound system that most likely peaks at "900 watts"

Users who are viewing this thread