5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The sad part on my end lol is I’m doing all of this and my wife is the one that now has the Ram. Whatever idea she comes up with, I want to make happen for her.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
So I will be picking up the new system Friday morning, then on the 25th I will be going to a local shop to get a dyno of before and after.... just throwing that out there

I'm not sure if the Dyno is the most ideal test. As a Ram-Air intake - you actually need the air from the speed. (I think). I would think a strip would be better suited for pre/post testing.

ohiobh1500

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the Dyno is the most ideal test. As a Ram-Air intake - you actually need the air from the speed. (I think). I would think a strip would be better suited for pre/post testing.
If a change is registered on a dyno graph then there should be a change at the track.... I don't plan on taking the truck to the track. Plus there are so many factors to take in to consideration that can affect the time you get.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
If a change is registered on a dyno graph then there should be a change at the track.... I don't plan on taking the truck to the track. Plus there are so many factors to take in to consideration that can affect the time you get.

Agreed - but a change at the track may not reflect a change in the dyno. Back to back runs with different intakes with a similar 60 time would tell a good story. The Ram Air allows it swallow more air the faster it goes. The dyno is stationary, so you don't get this affect.

ohiobh1500

Reaction score
Agreed - but a change at the track may not reflect a change in the dyno. Back to back runs with different intakes with a similar 60 time would tell a good story. The Ram Air allows it swallow more air the faster it goes. The dyno is stationary, so you don't get this affect.
very true on that point... Ill do the dyno part someone else gets the track part :)

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the place it's getting dynod is any good, they should have a variable high speed fan to place in front of the grill during the dyno to simulate the air flow experience.
Exactly what I was going to comment. They should be able to simulate it.

jwiley386

Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Dealership couldn't find until I provided parts number (no surprise).

Delivers in 3-5 days, keep you posted.

Excited to see what sound difference is under hood and if it adds anything to the Borla S-Type, sound wise.

beta379

Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Dealership couldn't find until I provided parts number (no surprise).

Delivers in 3-5 days, keep you posted.

Excited to see what sound difference is under hood and if it adds anything to the Borla S-Type, sound wise.
How do you like the borla S type? I'm thinking of doing the same combination. Thought the attack was too loud and don't want to disturb the neighbors. Touring doesn't seem like enough growl.

Where is the part number?

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
People spend that much on exhaust all the time and get no gains.

Yup. The sad reality is that in 2019, new vehicles rarely gain anything from exhaust/intake and in the case of naturally aspirated vehicles, a tune. These computers are locked down. on the SRT Jeeps, guys would swear up and down how their tune, intake, and exhaust increased performance. At the end of the day, when they went to the track they never beat the best stock times put down. Exhaust and intake are for sound, and the tune is for throttle response. That's pretty much it. Now if you have an SC or even better a turbo car, that's a different story. There are exceptions to the rule but that's pretty much what it boils down to.

I had a true CAI (filter inside bumper air intake) and a $4500 GTHaus/Meisterschaft exhaust on my Jeep. It sounded amazing, but it didn't do a damn thing for performance.

beta379

Reaction score
Yup. The sad reality is that in 2019, new vehicles rarely gain anything from exhaust/intake and in the case of naturally aspirated vehicles, a tune. These computers are locked down. on the SRT Jeeps, guys would swear up and down how their tune, intake, and exhaust increased performance. At the end of the day, when they went to the track they never beat the best stock times put down. Exhaust and intake are for sound, and the tune is for throttle response. That's pretty much it. Now if you have an SC or even better a turbo car, that's a different story. There are exceptions to the rule but that's pretty much what it boils down to.

I had a true CAI (filter inside bumper air intake) and a $4500 GTHaus/Meisterschaft exhaust on my Jeep. It sounded amazing, but it didn't do a damn thing for performance.
I've of heard some decent gains on the Vararam intake which should be similar to the Ram Airflow.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

What would you say a stock hemi would put down to the wheels on a mustang dyno?

E.Hands

Reaction score

The Big Black Dyno doesn't lie!
We need to get some baseline times and sound clips before someone starts testing this set up tho.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Yes sir my dealership was surprised by the size. I told them what did you expect considering it sits from front to back lol.

jwiley386

Reaction score
How do you like the borla S type? I'm thinking of doing the same combination. Thought the attack was too loud and don't want to disturb the neighbors. Touring doesn't seem like enough growl.

Where is the part number?

Borla S-Type is perfect, imo. Cold starts can be aggressive at first but it's exactly what I was looking for and what a Hemi should sound like when you think of exhaust.

Parts number is in this thread somewhere, I had to go digging for it. If I get time i'll try and find again, otherwise feel free to look. Its closer to the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread