5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

Wilsons19Ram

Reaction score
According to the Safelite glass tech today, I have a rain sensor but there is no setting for it. Does anyone know how to activate this feature?

downsjh

Reaction score
I added the menu to enable/disable rainsense wipers usin Alphaobd, but the wipers did not start while spraying water. Either more hardware is needed, or I missed a setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added the menu to enable/disable rainsense wipers usin Alphaobd, but the wipers did not start while spraying water. Either more hardware is needed, or I missed a setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't get mine to work either; I know on the other trucks, you basically leave it on wiper delay mode, and the 5 modes become the sensitivity. You'll notice, once you enable the option in alphaobd, the intermittent / delay modes no longer function.

Have you ever looked at this post ? Hardware aside, this post goes into the 3 settings that need enabled; at least on a 4th gen truck..

hulk181

Reaction score
Reviving the thread - my bighorn is the same way.

I'm currently working on enabling the option in the BCM with AlfaOBD and testing functions..suppose to rain tonight.
I was able to get the option to enable to show up in my radio, which I did.
I'm just waiting for physical rain to occur, so I can see if the wipers start working on there own!

How long did it take for the option to show up in the uConnect settings?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
took a day once you enable, but I never did get them to actually work :(

moparleo51

Reaction score
would love to add this to my bighorn, my 17 sport had it and loved it.

hulk181

Reaction score
took a day once you enable, but I never did get them to actually work :(
I just checked and the setting does appear in the uConnect. Now I just need to wait for it to rain to test it.

robber98

Reaction score
I would guess that the windshield has a sensor in it and the specific windshield is a component of the “system”.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would guess that the windshield has a sensor in it and the specific windshield is a component of the “system”.
The sensor is behind the rear mirror shroud, and it has a sticker that actually says rain sensor module on it

hulk181

Reaction score
Use the hose to see if it works!
I would but I believe I read in the manual that the truck needs to be in motion for the sensor to work. According to the manual:
When the ignition is first turned ON, the Rain Sensing system will not operate until the wiper switch is moved, vehicle speed is greater than 0 mph (0 km/h), or the outside temperature is greater than 32°F (0°C).

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would but I believe I read in the manual that the truck needs to be in motion for the sensor to work. According to the manual:
When the ignition is first turned ON, the Rain Sensing system will not operate until the wiper switch is moved, vehicle speed is greater than 0 mph (0 km/h), or the outside temperature is greater than 32°F (0°C).
This is not the case. I cleaned my windshield at the gas station after refueling with the truck running, and as soon as the squeegee passed over the rear view mirror sensor, the wipers activated.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Time to get nerdy. Those that have factory rain sensing wipers can check their PDC (interior fuse box for fuse 48 10 amp) It might be a 3 leg fuse.

I have AlfaOBD and enabled the two options for the rain sensing wipers. Message pops up in the instrument cluster saying "service rain sensing wipers" and a DTC U0231 "Lost communication with rain sensing module"

I bet since fuse 48 might be a 3 leg with a false 3rd leg, it is not supplying 12v to the Pink/Yellow wire therefore not communicating with the BCM and activating the wipers.

Edit: I went out and took a peek. There is a 10 amp micro 2 leg fuse in location 48 with room for a 3 leg micro.. I'll take another swing at it tuesday as I do see the Pink/Yellow wire coming out of the back of the interior PDC.

One thing I do have working at the moment is high beams with foglamps working. ;)

Added one more image taken from the dashcam thread and highlighted the fuse in question at the moment.

Attachments

• wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 273
  • InkedTxSzqku_LI.jpg
    InkedTxSzqku_LI.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

snj1013

Reaction score
Time to get nerdy. Those that have factory rain sensing wipers can check their PDC (interior fuse box for fuse 48 10 amp) It might be a 3 leg fuse.

I have AlfaOBD and enabled the two options for the rain sensing wipers. Message pops up in the instrument cluster saying "service rain sensing wipers" and a DTC U0231 "Lost communication with rain sensing module"

I bet since fuse 48 might be a 3 leg with a false 3rd leg, it is not supplying 12v to the Pink/Yellow wire therefore not communicating with the BCM and activating the wipers.

Edit: I went out and took a peek. There is a 10 amp micro 2 leg fuse in location 48 with room for a 3 leg micro.. I'll take another swing at it tuesday as I do see the Pink/Yellow wire coming out of the back of the interior PDC.

One thing I do have working at the moment is high beams with foglamps working. ;)

Added one more image taken from the dashcam thread and highlighted the fuse in question at the moment.
Did you check the wiring. I would love to get the rain sensing wipers to work. My previous vehicle (BMW 5 Series) had rain sensing wipers that worked well. The little things you miss after having them.....

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Haven't gotten to it just yet however the 5th generation has 3 different part numbers for the rain sensor. Wondering if that might be why it's not working. But yes I will be looking into this further. If I do make it work I'll do a write-up on how to do it.

Raydar

Reaction score
Good info about the rain sensor already being present. I'll have to give it a try.

FWIW... I believe the outside air temp sensor is in the driver's side outside mirror. (Think I read that elsewhere on this forum.)
If I park my truck in the summer sun, I will see absurdly high outside temp numbers until I've driven for a while.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
No progress yet. I might have to hook it up to a WiTech pod and see if the sensor needs to be calibrated or if its just a dummy sensor with only a working humidity sensor. Wiring is all there.

Lost my mode and preset channel buttons for the radio on the steering wheel. Trying to fix that right now.

hulk181

Reaction score
The Rain Sense Wipers option shows up in the uConnect settings and when I turn it on with the stalk the wipers do one swipe but nothing else. I drove it when it was raining but no response. If I turn the option off in uConnect then it goes back to being intermittent. My truck did come with the sensor installed.
Is there anybody that had Rain Sense Wipers come pre-equipped with their truck that could check if fuse 48 located on the driver's side fuse panel underneath is a 2 leg or 3 leg fuse?
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread