5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone actually tell the difference i power between the 5.7 and 5.7 with Etorque? Please post.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife has a 2019 Big Horn with non eTorque and 3.21 and I have a 19 Laramie with eTorque and 3.92.
Honestly, hers feels so smooth and light compared to mine. Although hers has almost 2000 miles already and mine is at 100. I’ll let it break in more and we will see.

Not too much of a fan of the regenerative braking. Makes the truck feel “heavy.”

How'd you wind up with two DTs in the family?

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did get on mine the other day and was surprised how quick and smooth it accelerates. I think the e-torque gives a bit of instant boost. I also have went from the 2010 5 speed to the 8 speed. I’m sure that’s a big part of it too.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did get on mine the other day and was surprised how quick and smooth it accelerates. I think the e-torque gives a bit of instant boost. I also have went from the 2010 5 speed to the 8 speed. I’m sure that’s a big part of it too.
In Auto 4WD, I may have scared the driver next to me this morning by launching off the line in a downpour. It was completely unintentional...I was worried about delaying the driver behind me due to my truck shutting off at the light, so I hit the throttle a bit too hard. This truck starts FAST.

768mph

Reaction score
How'd you wind up with two DTs in the family?

Suffered a house fire recently. My wife’s car caught fire within the garage. Got her a replacement.

Liked hers so much but got tired of borrowing it to get stuff for the new house. So I traded my 18 392 Charger for a 19 Laramie. I actually ordered back in May but didn’t think I’d get it due to recent events.

Dealer gave me more than I owed on the Charger and both trucks were over $10k off sticker.

All is well now.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Suffered a house fire recently. My wife’s car caught fire within the garage. Got her a replacement.

Liked hers so much but got tired of borrowing it to get stuff for the new house. So I traded my 18 392 Charger for a 19 Laramie. I actually ordered back in May but didn’t think I’d get it due to recent events.

Dealer gave me more than I owed on the Charger and both trucks were over $10k off sticker.

All is well now.

Sorry to hear about the fire,but glad you got the truck you wanted. Hope you and your family recover completely from the loss.

768mph

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the fire,but glad you got the truck you wanted. Hope you and your family recover completely from the loss.
Thank you kindly. I’ve always helped those in this position but never knew how they felt until now. Further solidified my position on helping those who need it by the help we received.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So just to be clear, eTourqe is an assist for the start/stop function ONLY. There are no HP or bottom end gains to be had, there are little economy benefits to cash in on either.

I find start/stop tech to be a silly way for people that like the power of a gasoline engine to feel like they're contributing to the ecological efforts of the granola crunching leftist tree huggers. Makes my head spin. F-you David Suzuki!

But I digress, it IS all about start/stop. Maybe you'll save a few pennies a year in fuel. But if saving money on fuel is your honest goal... wow, what a foolish way to waste $60k. You should've bought a Prius.
Wholeheartedly agree. I despise start/stop, thus the reason I ordered w/o eTorque.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
I drove both and noticed no real difference. I live in Virginia Beach where 6 months of the year I have the AC on in the truck. Running the AC disables the stop/start feature, which is the primary method for increasing fuel economy. I doubt I'd ever recoup the $1600 expense of the eTorque and I'd have to deal with any potential problems it may bring. I ordered my '19 Limited w/o eTorque.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and run the AC 99.99999% of the time. The stop/start feature DOES work with the AC on. If I'm at a really long light sometimes it starts the vehicle while we are stopped. However, this is pretty rare.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just to be clear, eTourqe is an assist for the start/stop function ONLY. There are no HP or bottom end gains to be had, there are little economy benefits to cash in on either.

I find start/stop tech to be a silly way for people that like the power of a gasoline engine to feel like they're contributing to the ecological efforts of the granola crunching leftist tree huggers. Makes my head spin. F-you David Suzuki!

But I digress, it IS all about start/stop. Maybe you'll save a few pennies a year in fuel. But if saving money on fuel is your honest goal... wow, what a foolish way to waste $60k. You should've bought a Prius.
A Prius won't fit my quad, three german shepherds and all our hiking and camping gear.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Phoenix, AZ and run the AC 99.99999% of the time. The stop/start feature DOES work with the AC on. If I'm at a really long light sometimes it starts the vehicle while we are stopped. However, this is pretty rare.
Exactly the same behavior here in Texas. And remember that "all conditions must be met" for the truck to stop. For example, I was on a slight incline at a traffic light this morning, and the truck wouldn't shut off. But it shuts off at most lights pretty quickly after coming to a stop.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score

I noticed (I have an etorque now and had a regular hemi before) that acceleration coming from a complete stop is a little bit better, regular acceleration not a drag race, when I say better I mean that the engine feels less exhausted

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I think this is a useful perk. I remember when I had my old hybrid it felt good not having to run the engine while waiting in the parking lot for someone with the radio and ac on while engine was off. ..

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I have not towed anything, but I thought that is where the etorque was best suited for, at least from when you start off from a stop light.

Ramjack

Reaction score
According to the Ram videos I've seen, Ram says the eTorque system is "good for up to half a revolution of the wheels" when getting the vehicle going. That may help with efficiency but won't help noticeably with towing capability. After all, the eTorque motor is attempting to turn an unstarted engine and move the entire vehicle (and whatever it is hauling/towing) via a rubber belt.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
For those with e-torque, can you override the stop/start function, and does that 'setting' stay in memory so you don't have to continually turn off stop/start? For example, you get in the truck, start it up, turn off 'start-stop'....when you shut it down and then start it back up, do you have to turn off the auto start-stop again if you don't want it?
not stock. you have to turn it off each time. But Tazer DT allows you to save all of these settings.. included tow/haul and bumper sensors.

Last edited:

Newtododge

Reaction score
You can turn it off permanently in the settings or temporarily with the button. I notice it a few ways let off the brake pedal at a light and your instantly moving with almost no lag during build up. Pulling a trailer with a load it shifts extremely smooth. I also notice it helps during breaking but as some stated above it pulls hard before shifts. The etorq actually does give more torq up to 190ft lbs through out the curve but is more noticed at hard starts from the line. Will it equate to faster speeds on the track no. It’s added weight will not help you there but getting up to speed with a load is definitely going to be easier. It doesn’t save you gas like advertised at all but the overall the trucks also don’t get the gas mileage they were advertised to get either. Very few actually get 20 mpg most get 15-16 ish both with and without etorq

TWRam

Reaction score
I did not originally want the etorque system due to the additional complexity and unknown durability, but found the truck I wanted at a killer price, but it had etorque. So I rolled the dice and got it. I have not seen it mentioned before, but the Etorque system has a factory 8 year, 80k mile warranty. So far, I am happy that I have it. Start/stop makes a significant difference with MPGs anytime you get into traffic or stuck at lights. If the AC would continue to cool with the engine off, I would never turn the start/stop off....got to have the AC on down here in hot, humid, sunny Florida. Once the cab is sufficiently cooled off, I use the start/stop. I am thoroughly impressed with how smooth the upshifts are during normal driving. I can hear the engine going through the gears, but the acceleration is absolutely constant. I have not driven any other new Ram so I can't comment on differences between Etorque or not. The only time you really notice something different is during braking. When you push the brakes, the first thing that happens is that the regenerative braking kicks on. As you continue to push the brake pedal further, the regular brake system adds the additional braking power while the regenerative braking continues. Unfortunately, the regenerative braking force is not dynamic, meaning it does not change with the brake pedal position. It is either on or off, like a switch. Barely push the brakes, it turns on, let off the brakes just a touch, it turns off. There is no in-between. The braking force from the regen braking is very small, does not slow you down quickly, and is smooth, but it does require some adjustments to how you drive. I probably coast farther and brake later now. The other bit that took some getting use to was light braking when coming to a stop. Lets say you are approaching a red light and barely push the brake pedal to slowly come to a stop from, say, 40 MPH. When you barely push the pedal, you feel the regen braking kick on (standard hydraulic brakes not contributing) and the truck gradually slows. The RPMs drop and the trans downshifts through the gears using the regen braking to its full potential. When the rpms drop below a certain threshold in 2nd gear, the regen braking kicks off and suddenly you are not braking anymore since you were not using the standard hydraulic brake system. Initially, this is unexpected and can cause some less than smooth braking as you suddenly hit the brakes harder to compensate. After a while, you learn how the system acts and adapt your driving accordingly so that your braking is now smooth. Please keep in mind that this is all a very small perception. Some people may not even notice any of it. I am an engineer and a driving enthusiast so I like knowing how things work, why they work the way they do, and being in total control of what my vehicle is doing.....when possible.

In short, there are things that I like about the Etorque system but it does require you to brake slightly differently compared to a non-etorque system. (every vehicle requires different inputs to drive them smoothly) Personally, I would not have paid for it if I had my truck built to my specs due to the increased complexity and potential for trouble, unless someone had shown (data) a significant advantage; however, I got a great deal on a truck that had it and I do not regret it. 8yr/80k warranty on the system provides peace of mind as well.

Last edited:

Ickabod

Reaction score
...If the AC would continue to cool with the engine off, I would never turn the start/stop off....
Don't you mean, if the AC would cool with the engine ON?

Oh, sorry....topic for another thread....
LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did not originally want the etorque system due to the additional complexity and unknown durability, but found the truck I wanted at a killer price, but it had etorque. So I rolled the dice and got it. I have not seen it mentioned before, but the Etorque system has a factory 8 year, 100k mile warranty. So far, I am happy that I have it. Start/stop makes a significant difference with MPGs anytime you get into traffic or stuck at lights. If the AC would continue to cool with the engine off, I would never turn the start/stop off....got to have the AC on down here in hot, humid, sunny Florida. Once the cab is sufficiently cooled off, I use the start/stop. I am thoroughly impressed with how smooth the upshifts are during normal driving. I can hear the engine going through the gears, but the acceleration is absolutely constant. I have not driven any other new Ram so I can't comment on differences between Etorque or not. The only time you really notice something different is during braking. When you push the brakes, the first thing that happens is that the regenerative braking kicks on. As you continue to push the brake pedal further, the regular brake system adds the additional braking power while the regenerative braking continues. Unfortunately, the regenerative braking force is not dynamic, meaning it does not change with the brake pedal position. It is either on or off, like a switch. Barely push the brakes, it turns on, let off the brakes just a touch, it turns off. There is no in-between. The braking force from the regen braking is very small, does not slow you down quickly, and is smooth, but it does require some adjustments to how you drive. I probably coast farther and brake later now. The other bit that took some getting use to was light braking when coming to a stop. Lets say you are approaching a red light and barely push the brake pedal to slowly come to a stop from, say, 40 MPH. When you barely push the pedal, you feel the regen braking kick on (standard hydraulic brakes not contributing) and the truck gradually slows. The RPMs drop and the trans downshifts through the gears using the regen braking to its full potential. When the rpms drop below a certain threshold in 2nd gear, the regen braking kicks off and suddenly you are not braking anymore since you were not using the standard hydraulic brake system. Initially, this is unexpected and can cause some less than smooth braking as you suddenly hit the brakes harder to compensate. After a while, you learn how the system acts and adapt your driving accordingly so that your braking is now smooth. Please keep in mind that this is all a very small perception. Some people may not even notice any of it. I am an engineer and a driving enthusiast so I like knowing how things work, why they work the way they do, and being in total control of what my vehicle is doing.....when possible.

In short, there are things that I like about the Etorque system but it does require you to brake slightly differently compared to a non-etorque system. (every vehicle requires different inputs to drive them smoothly) Personally, I would not have paid for it if I had my truck built to my specs due to the increased complexity and potential for trouble, unless someone had shown (data) a significant advantage; however, I got a great deal on a truck that had it and I do not regret it. 8yr/100k warranty on the system provides peace of mind as well.
It’s an 8 year, 80k emissions warranty, unless something has changed this year.

Search this forum (especially early posts from mid-2018) and you’ll find a TON of info on eTorque.

Thanks for your review.

Users who are viewing this thread