5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just to keep alls updated, Autotechelectronics said they are unable to set me up, even using a new RFH, they can't yet add options that aren't associated with the vin.

Bram2019

Reaction score
just to keep alls updated, Autotechelectronics said they are unable to set me up, even using a new RFH, they can't yet add options that aren't associated with the vin.
Most likely that is because even with a new rf hub, unless you are connected to witech, you can't do it. Witech needs to connect to the truck while doing a rf hub replace. Only if you have techauthority or witech available and connected to the truck when you do the rf hub replace procedure using a pin, will you be able to do this. The rf hub should read the bcm settings and transfer them to the rf hub when the rf hub replace procedure is being done. So if you add the door handles, the caps, the wiring, then add the info to the bcm using Alfaobd, then pay the dealer to install the new rf hub and the original keys, it should work. There is always a chance it won't work. Won't know until someone trys it.

RRomi

Reaction score
Beware of what your sales people tell you as well ..... more than one dealership told me push button start equaled proximity entry. Not at all happy truck shopping it is not a good experience anywhere in my opinion. The way they do option levels is not straightforward nor consumer friendly, but my guess is profit friendly. Can't they understand both can be achievable ?

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideas and work so far. I was able to find the following forum post regarding passive entry and push button start for 2017 models. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-factory-keyless-enter-n-go.134961/

Looks to be a similar process but I think the key lessons here are that we can get our own security code with the Chrysler PIN puller and that we have to replace the RF hub. Otherwise, it seems like a straight forward process. Can anyone confirm? I distilled down the steps to what I think is relevant:

My goal was to do this without a dealer visit and entirely with the alfaOBD software

RF Hub (2017-2018)- 68319680AD *NOTE*- Check your hub part number by connecting the alfa to your RF Hub, then click the battery icon bottom right, and read system ID.

Front door handles- https://www.moparautopartsdirect.com/v-2017-ram-2500--laramie--6-7l-l6-diesel/body--front-door

alfaOBD software- google play store for Android. For windows- http://alfaobd.com/download.html

OBD dongle- https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBD...Y340_QL65&keywords=obdlink+mx+bluetooth&psc=1

Security gateway bypass cable (2018 only)- contact DeereGuy

Your trucks PIN for the fob programming- You get this from your dealer parts department in the form of a key code inquiry. If they give you a hard time, or if they want to charge you more than $15 for it, or you just don’t want to deal with them, there’s an app called Chrysler PIN Puller you can use that costs $15.

The install can be done, and function, progressively. Basically, keyless enter n go is two separate functions- keyless (passive) entry, and keyless go (push button start). If you’re installing everything all at once, you don’t have to go in any order, just whatever is most time efficient for you, but I’m going to gear this towards those that are putting this together progressively.

install the hub, but first use the alfa software to enable all the keyless enter n go features. This will give the BCM time to take the settings. Connect to the BCM. Click on the little car with the hood open. Go into car configuration change. Find keyless go, passive entry, fobik safe enable, and passive entry CSM, and enable them all. This will NOT affect the driveability of the truck even while using your original rf hub and fobs. Remove the rear seat and the back wall carpet/insulation. I won’t get into how to do this as it’s pretty straight forward. Your RF Hub will be on the back wall towards the driver side. Remove it from the wall, install the new hub in it’s place, plug in the existing connectors from the old hub, and plug in the new harness to the left side of the hub.

Now we’re ready to program the new fob and hub. Close the driver door and open it to wake up the bus. Confirm that the BCM took the settings from earlier, as the EVIC should display press brake + start button. Fire up the alfa and connect to the RF Hub. Set the new fob on the center console lid. Click the car with hood open and select “program ignition fobiks highline system”. Enter your PIN and follow the prompts. Once that is complete, and still connected to the hub, go to “RF Hub reset/replace”. This time, for PIN, enter 0000 and hit start. When the procedure is complete, step on the brake and start the truck. It will probably die after a few seconds, and you’ll have TPMS warnings. Now put the truck in run (engine off), still connected to RF Hub, click on the little engine then read and clear faults. Perform RF Hub replace again. Start the truck again and it should stay running now, but, you will have lost your TPMS sensors. Start driving around for a while to see if the sensors will pick up. If they don’t, pull over, connect to the RF Hub, go to “sensor rolls test”, hit start, and start driving again. They should immediately register now. Park the truck and clear faults again, and you’re done. Now you have push button start. You can do the door handles and antennas later.

Finally, it’s time to remove the inner panel and install the new door handle.
Here’s a video of it https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-factory-keyless-enter-n-go.134961/page-3#post-1930857
Here’s the service manual instructions
Test handle operation and put everything back together and now you have passive entry.
One final note on your PIN. From here on out, when you perform an RF Hub reset, such as after you adjust tire pressure thresholds, your PIN will be 0000. If you need to program a fob, you will use your original PIN. I’m not sure why yet, but I’ll see what Alexey has to say. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, since the fob programming is still secured by your original PIN.

Reaction score
Sorry for double posting, I forgot to highlight one last thing that I didn't see mentioned in our thread but that was included in the link I sent. This might be why we are having issues with the settings not taking.

Apparently, all 2018+ RAMs have a security "feature" on the OBD connection and you will need a security gateway bypass cable in order for the car modules to take the updated settings. Apparently, when you plug these into the Security Gateway Module, it sort of unlocks the ability for the modules tot take new programming. You can leave the module attached so that future OBD updates will take, however, they recommend that you remove it before taking the truck to the dealership.

I found a couple of links to purchase:

Installation:

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for double posting, I forgot to highlight one last thing that I didn't see mentioned in our thread but that was included in the link I sent. This might be why we are having issues with the settings not taking.

Apparently, all 2018+ RAMs have a security "feature" on the OBD connection and you will need a security gateway bypass cable in order for the car modules to take the updated settings. Apparently, when you plug these into the Security Gateway Module, it sort of unlocks the ability for the modules tot take new programming. You can leave the module attached so that future OBD updates will take, however, they recommend that you remove it before taking the truck to the dealership.

I found a couple of links to purchase:

Installation:
tried all that months ago. So here's your immediate issues if you want to jump on board with me and Jason Marsh.

1) pin puller doesn't support our trucks
2) Alfaobd doesn't support our RF Hubs
pre-2019 trucks used a different system, made by Continental, which yes, used a pin

2019+ trucks, use a RF hub made by Strattec, and it uses 2 backend logins.
(this was designed after the jeep Cherokee,etc thefts that made a PIN number easy to obtain, and thus could program a new key to a vehicle, and technically steal it)

a) first login, is a time-expiring random number seed
b) second login, is a challenge-response type

SO, you cannot go into a dealer and obtain a useful PIN number, and walk out it.
Yes, you may be able to get the time-expiring pin, which would be used by a locksmith for fob programming, BUT, you need the challenge-response pin in order to to a config replace on the Strattec RF Hub. And unless it gets cracked, the only way to get this challenge-response authenticated, is via a connected witech dongle while its logged in, and online with tech authority.

The door handles themselves, wiring, and the security bypass are all easy, and similar to other Chrysler vehicles. Jason and I have already done all that.

We've both tried at our dealers as well. The problem is, on the 2019 witech system, its somewhat made "idiot" proof on the user/tech end. Even if you purchase a new, unwritten RF Hub, AND you have enabled the options in the BCM, when you select "RF Hub Replace" which tells the RF Hub to download the new config from the BCM, what actually happens first, is the Witech does a vehicle config restore first, so you revert back to the factory vin options in the BCM, and then the new RF Hub just gets the same config it had when you started.

***What's missing, is a way to do a RF Hub Config Replace all on its own,,which existed on the continental rf hub software, but not the strattec.

What I'm working on now, is restoring my vehicle config using a different vin all together, so like I have to find a Laramie that's very close option wise to my big horn, do a full restore using that vin, and then, see if I can get into all the modules, and update the vin.

This was possible on the pre-2018 trucks, because like I've replaced things like door modules, bcm's, and stuff, from junk yard trucks, and I've been able to update the vin's so they match. Not sure if this will work with the BCM and RFH on the 2019 truck, but that's where I'm at this point.

Pre-2018 trucks, very different from 2019's. And yes, it's sad.

Last edited:

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
tried all that months ago. So here's your immediate issues if you want to jump on board with me and Jason Marsh.

1) pin puller doesn't support our trucks
2) Alfaobd doesn't support our RF Hubs
pre-2019 trucks used a different system, made by Continental, which yes, used a pin

2019+ trucks, use a RF hub made by Strattec, and it uses 2 backend logins.
(this was designed after the jeep Cherokee,etc thefts that made a PIN number easy to obtain, and thus could program a new key to a vehicle, and technically steal it)

a) first login, is a time-expiring random number seed
b) second login, is a challenge-response type

SO, you cannot go into a dealer and obtain a useful PIN number, and walk out it.
Yes, you may be able to get the time-expiring pin, which would be used by a locksmith for fob programming, BUT, you need the challenge-response pin in order to to a config replace on the Strattec RF Hub. And unless it gets cracked, the only way to get this challenge-response authenticated, is via a connected witech dongle while its logged in, and online with tech authority.

The door handles themselves, wiring, and the security bypass are all easy, and similar to other Chrysler vehicles. Jason and I have already done all that.

We've both tried at our dealers as well. The problem is, on the 2019 witech system, its somewhat made "idiot" proof on the user/tech end. Even if you purchase a new, unwritten RF Hub, AND you have enabled the options in the BCM, when you select "RF Hub Replace" which tells the RF Hub to download the new config from the BCM, what actually happens first, is the Witech does a vehicle config restore first, so you revert back to the factory vin options in the BCM, and then the new RF Hub just gets the same config it had when you started.

***What's missing, is a way to do a RF Hub Config Replace all on its own,,which existed on the continental rf hub software, but not the strattec.

What I'm working on now, is restoring my vehicle config using a different vin all together, so like I have to find a Laramie that's very close option wise to my big horn, do a full restore using that vin, and then, see if I can get into all the modules, and update the vin.

This was possible on the pre-2018 trucks, because like I've replaced things like door modules, bcm's, and stuff, from junk yard trucks, and I've been able to update the vin's so they match. Not sure if this will work with the BCM and RFH on the 2019 truck, but that's where I'm at this point.

Pre-2018 trucks, very different from 2019's. And yes, it's sad.

I have a question, I have remote start and push button start. I do not have the passive entry (door handle button) If I was to put the handles on would I need to do anything else? I also have the level 2 equipment group.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a question, I have remote start and push button start. I do not have the passive entry (door handle button) If I was to put the handles on would I need to do anything else? I also have the level 2 equipment group.
You have the same confit as my truck and Jason marsh, do you need everything i mention from above.

cornish

Reaction score
Add me to that list. Pissed at the salesman for misleading me on the "keyless entry" and at myself for not double checking before signing the papers.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The current information I have is even if you add all the hardware for the proximity entry, it won't work even with a new RF Hub. The problem currently is you need sales code GXD added to your truck. FCA does not want to do that for whatever reason. If we could get them to add that code to your Vin, we could then install the hardware (handles, caps wiring, rf hub?) and it will work. It would then just require a vehicle restore at the dealer and you would be good to go. What is crazy, this is how remote start from FCA is done. Add the hardware, add the code in vehicle options and do vehicle restore. The key here is to pressure FCA into allowing this as a lot of buyers got screwed into thinking they were buying this when the trucks were sold to then customer. So unless it becomes available in the aftermarket or we can get FCA to do this, right now it won't work. The Jeep Wrangler guys are going round and round with this exact issue. All over the internet.

Reaction score
I would love to jump in and help out. I called a local dealership and they seemed positive on the ability to add the GXD sales code to the VIN as they are able to do that with the push button start. I think the only things holding me back now is obtaining the right hardware.

What is the minimum hardware that I need to get started? There are a few door handles that seem like they work. I have a non-chrome granite crystal truck.

Is this door cap the only other part that is necessary?

parnine

Reaction score
I would love to jump in and help out. I called a local dealership and they seemed positive on the ability to add the GXD sales code to the VIN as they are able to do that with the push button start. I think the only things holding me back now is obtaining the right hardware.

What is the minimum hardware that I need to get started? There are a few door handles that seem like they work. I have a non-chrome granite crystal truck.

Is this door cap the only other part that is necessary?

The hardware required is a know entity - Can you see if the dealer will add the code to your VIN and and do the vehicle restore? This would be the most logical first step, since with out it the hardware and install is a waste at this point.

Please let us know if you dealer can actually do this and how much they would charge, mine told me they could not do it.

ZEW77

Reaction score
I spoke to a buddy of mine that's a FCA mechanic. He works at the dealership I bought my past 2 RAM 1500's from, and he tells me that they have absolutely no wiggle room on adding codes. He told me the only way they're allowed is if the code is available as an add-on (like remote start) then they can program it and add the feature.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I spoke to a buddy of mine that's a FCA mechanic. He works at the dealership I bought my past 2 RAM 1500's from, and he tells me that they have absolutely no wiggle room on adding codes. He told me the only way they're allowed is if the code is available as an add-on (like remote start) then they can program it and add the feature.
That is currently correct. The code needed GXD is not on the list under Vehicle Option Updates. The issue is if Mopar Accessories came out with a kit for this, they would need to add that code to the option list. This is really not a hard upgrade. I do not know if a request could be made to have Mopar accessories come up with a kit. The kit would be comprised of a wiring overlay for the doors, 2 door handles, 2 caps and an RF Hub. Then just add the code. Unless there are a lot of complaints to FCA about the way they cleverly worded the option list to imply is had proximity entry, Mopar Accessories may be the only hope. That was really ****ty the way FCA worded that when ordering the trucks. Sticker says Keyless Go, remote keyless entry. Real slippery. They changed the wording on the newer trucks to Push button start.

TxGeorge

Reaction score
Get me in the list, I got a 2019 RAM 3500 keyless go bu no passive entry, very bad experience!

ZEW77

Reaction score
That is currently correct. The code needed GXD is not on the list under Vehicle Option Updates. The issue is if Mopar Accessories came out with a kit for this, they would need to add that code to the option list. This is really not a hard upgrade. I do not know if a request could be made to have Mopar accessories come up with a kit. The kit would be comprised of a wiring overlay for the doors, 2 door handles, 2 caps and an RF Hub. Then just add the code. Unless there are a lot of complaints to FCA about the way they cleverly worded the option list to imply is had proximity entry, Mopar Accessories may be the only hope. That was really ****ty the way FCA worded that when ordering the trucks. Sticker says Keyless Go, remote keyless entry. Real slippery. They changed the wording on the newer trucks to Push button start.

Yep... My salesman told me while i was placing my order for my '19 Bighorn that it for sure had the passive entry... Sure as **** didn't. I really hope they make it an accessory kit. I really want this option!!! Is there somewhere we can complain to try and make them add it as an accessory kit?

Bram2019

Reaction score
Yep... My salesman told me while i was placing my order for my '19 Bighorn that it for sure had the passive entry... Sure as **** didn't. I really hope they make it an accessory kit. I really want this option!!! Is there somewhere we can complain to try and make them add it as an accessory kit?
Ram Cares They frequent this board

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
Hopefully they do, it is a nice upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread