5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox warped and misaligned

Geobound

Reaction score
Among the (many) discussions we’ve had on this topic, the fact that Ram had to go to a new supplier when the old one went out of business has accounted for a lot of these issues. In effect, it is a “new feature”, at least as far as the current RamBox manufacturer is concerned. Many of us that ordered trucks with RamBoxes last year waited 100 days or more to have them delivered, often because of RamBox quality control issues or delays. We even tracked their progress on a Google Sheet together. The bottom line is that it shouldn’t be surprising to see these issues to anyone that’s spent time researching before purchase on this forum ;)

No research for me at all.

I loved my 2103, so there was no real reason for me to do any research.

In fact I stopped by the dealer one afternoon just to check out colours, and two days later drove home with my new Limited.

As much as I'm disappointed in the fit and finish of this part of the truck (and the poor closing of the passenger side Rambox), I still think it's the best truck out there for features/price point. Of course I won't ever own another truck without these side boxes, so Ram has me hooked for the foreseeable future.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I have only recently started researching this myself as I am about to buy a 2020 Limited and intend on getting Ramboxes. Does Ram acknowledge this as a widespread issue at all? Or just not sell enough Ramboxes to give a crap? Seems like the kind of thing that could end up in Lemon law situations?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have only recently started researching this myself as I am about to buy a 2020 Limited and intend on getting Ramboxes. Does Ram acknowledge this as a widespread issue at all? Or just not sell enough Ramboxes to give a crap? Seems like the kind of thing that could end up in Lemon law situations?
Based on the delays experienced early on, I think they’re selling a lot more of them than originally expected. And for most buyers, they either have very good (mine) or at least acceptably good fitment. It seems to be a small minority that have unacceptable, poor, or terrible fit and finish.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. I was getting the idea this was pretty much a guaranteed problem on all of them

joshrich

Reaction score
So mine are warped pretty bad on both ends. Around 1/4” above the bed. Those of you who went back to the dealer with the issue, did you make a service appointment or just drive in to get it looked at? And do I need to go to the dealer I purchased from? There’s a closer dealer if I can go there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So mine are warped pretty bad on both ends. Around 1/4” above the bed. Those of you who went back to the dealer with the issue, did you make a service appointment or just drive in to get it looked at? And do I need to go to the dealer I purchased from? There’s a closer dealer if I can go there instead.

I haven’t been in for mine but it’s warranty work so you can go to any dealer and I would make an appointment. Call and tell a service advisor your concern and make an appointment to come in.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I went back to my dealer and explained to them they can't really be adjusted so they just went ahead and ordered the parts.

Kxlexus

Reaction score

I went to the dealer I bought my previous Ram from because they had sent me a $20 oil change coupon. I didn’t make an appointment, just pointed the poor fitment of the Ramboxes out to them while in for the oil change. He took pictures and was going to submit to Ram regarding replacement. Haven’t heard back from him yet.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Has anybody been denied replacement of their Rambox lids by Ram? My dealer sent pics into Ram about mine and I haven’t heard yet if they received approval. How long does it take for Ram to approve or deny a warranty claim?

RAMpage

Reaction score
Well I’ve been waiting a few weeks for the replacement parts to arrive so they finally came in and I drop my truck off this morning to have them fixed and wouldn’t ya know it, they ordered the boxes themselves instead of the lids like they were supposed to. Complete waste of time.
Dropped truck off for 5 things to get done and after them working on it all day they called and said they couldn’t find a single issue. Waste of a day.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Now I got an update saying the lid sections of the boxes are backordered so no ETA. I did see the star case notes that FCA sent the dealers about fixing it by striking the plates. Even the dealer didn't understand what FCA was smoking to come up with that "fix".

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Now I got an update saying the lid sections of the boxes are backordered so no ETA. I did see the star case notes that FCA sent the dealers about fixing it by striking the plates. Even the dealer didn't understand what FCA was smoking to come up with that "fix".
Could you discuss further about the Star Case notes? What does “Striking the Plates” mean? Does that simply mean to hit them with a hammer? I can’t see what good that would possibly do. They would just bounce back

RAMpage

Reaction score
Could you discuss further about the Star Case notes? What does “Striking the Plates” mean? Does that simply mean to hit them with a hammer? I can’t see what good that would possibly do. They would just bounce back

FCA suggests to fix the issue that the tech strike the latch plate inside the rambox to bend it until the box sits flush. This was from a multiple page document also. What a joke haha
The dealer tried it but said then they couldn't close the lid at all, so they moved it back.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA suggests to fix the issue that the tech strike the latch plate inside the rambox to bend it until the box sits flush. This was from a multiple page document also. What a joke haha
The dealer tried it but said then they couldn't close the lid at all, so they moved it back.

I posted the bulletin about that .. it isn't "striking" it is "bending the striker" .. and that ONLY adjusts the lid themselves for bent one way or the other .. it does NOTHING about what all of us have been complaining about -- the black pieces on either end warping up away from the painted surface as if they were not assembled properly or cast properly. I wanted to take mine apart and see what the engineering error was, but haven't had the courage.

Attachments

• S1923000014.pdf
    230.5 KB · Views: 52

RAMpage

Reaction score
Just reworded slightly here in Canada I suppose. It just says to “strike the latch” (with the tool). Solution not worth the paper it’s printed on.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. I was getting the idea this was pretty much a guaranteed problem on all of them

I’ve been monitoring this thread for awhile now. I haven’t seen anyone who doesn’t have a problem with the ram box being misaligned, including my new 2020 Laramie Longhorn. You can almost count on it.

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!

lasani1121

Reaction score
So here is the update on my truck. I am taking it in on Wednesday. Pictures were taken, sent to Chrysler but the dealer was recommended to do a dealer repair first before full replacement. The one issue i will have replacement is the paint matching. We have not gotten to this discussion as they need to first try to align the door and try to eliminate the warping. The body shop says they have a way to adjust the alignment and warping issue without replacement. Will keep the group updated and will provide before and after pics on Thursday 10.24.19.

RAMpage

Reaction score
So here is the update on my truck. I am taking it in on Wednesday. Pictures were taken, sent to Chrysler but the dealer was recommended to do a dealer repair first before full replacement. The one issue i will have replacement is the paint matching. We have not gotten to this discussion as they need to first try to align the door and try to eliminate the warping. The body shop says they have a way to adjust the alignment and warping issue without replacement. Will keep the group updated and will provide before and after pics on Thursday 10.24.19.

I sure hope it's better than the fix my dealer was told! Didn't fix $hit!
Aside from the in/out adjustments on the sides I am not sure how they can be adjusted without replacing since everything else is fixed. Hope they can do it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online