5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered the rear 2" last night.

Raydar

Reaction score
When I removed my stock springs, I noticed that the several of the top coils had a plastic wrap around them. I removed that wrap and installed it on the new lowering springs.
When I put the truck back on its wheels I was really surprised, because it looks like the top coils of the new springs actually rest upon one another. I'll bet it would squeak and groan like hell without the plastic wrap.
With that said... I wonder about the wisdom of setting springs up so that the top 3 coils are "grounded" together. Seems like it effectively removes them from action. That would have to increase the spring rate by... a bunch. Not altogether a bad thing, but I wonder what they were thinking.

Cross88

Reaction score
I did not transfer over the spring covers, but it is a thought that crossed my mind. I myself have not heard any extra noises from the new rear springs without the spring covers from factory ones.

chad202

Reaction score
Yes, the top 3 coils are compressed on each other. That gave me fits when cutting the passenger coil to even the height from side/side.

Cross88

Reaction score
Chad202, what is the coil amount cut to drop ratio? And it might be a dumb question, but do you cut from the top? I’m contemplating making mine a little closer to level.

chad202

Reaction score
You have to cut from the top. Typically the rule is one at the spring equals two at the truck. Meaning with the spring out, standing up, measure the overall height. If it’s 18”, you go down the coil to where it measure 17 1/2”. That should give you 1” drop. BUT, since the top three are sitting on each other when in the truck, it doesn’t work like that. I ended up cutting one coil off to achieve 1/2” drop.

Cross88

Reaction score
An extra 1/2” drop would look nice, I’m at pretty much spot on 1” of rake right now. So 1 complete coil? Or a specific length, like 1.5” of the total height? I may try cutting my factory springs cuz I know I’ll never go up to factory rear height again.

chad202

Reaction score
Look at it like this, the top 3 coils sit in top each other. The coil is about 1/2” thick so to get 1/2” drop, one full coil needs to come off.

J4U

Reaction score
Finally put my lowering springs and bags on today. For those saying it only took 45 minutes, you suck!

OMG between having to take the wheels off, also releasing the Hellwig with the shocks, stands on frame, and removing the cheap *** wheel well covers for visual access, couldn't get it to drop low enough. Couldn't go any lower anyway due to the break lines being stressed and at their max.

Ended up using straps on the OG springs after all that and now all good to go.

Sunk In A Ditch!

I think the air bags are preventing it from being level even with just 5lbs in them. Totally different feel and stance but was hoping for level.

Will give it some time and see how I like it. Have never had a levelish truck before and it's odd.

Every truck is different and had I known this much would have been involved I would have paid someone to do it. I've done many mods and this one was a shocker. Glad I had the better half to help me.

Cross88

Reaction score
For mine I had to do one side at a time, disconnected the bottom shock and the sway bar and I was able to remove the spring without removing the wheel or liner. I also still have 1” of rake.

J4U

Reaction score
For mine I had to do one side at a time, disconnected the bottom shock and the sway bar and I was able to remove the spring without removing the wheel or liner. I also still have 1” of rake.
Wheel liner removal was more for visual on the nubs on the top spring placement. Old age and eyesight may have called for this step.

Cross88

Reaction score
Wheel liner removal was more for visual on the nubs on the top spring placement. Old age and eyesight may have called for this step.

True statement, I can see that. Nothing wrong with an extra step to make sure the job is done correctly.

Reactions: J4U

J4U

Reaction score
Edit:

Never mind, helps to take measurements on level ground.

Leveling and looking like one side was higher than the other yesterday was bugging me.

Put the truck on level ground and took measurements. Pretty much level now.

Can now get that out of my head and decide on ride and performance.

The mind can be a terrible thing

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
She's dirty but working hard. Like the new stance.

Edit: Just noticed I'm in a handicap parking spot. I wanted to clarify we are still under construction and not open. It was an existing building hence the older paint on the ground.
fbee36f4da3cc95aaad68c7470c3554b.jpg

007d22b2051c2e03e7310b6dc048e5d8.jpg

Last edited:

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
She looks great, I'm glad you got through it. Really, it is worth the time and very little money for the look in the end.
Bill

Cross88

Reaction score
She looks great, I'm glad you got through it. Really, it is worth the time and very little money for the look in the end.
Bill

Amen to that, I feel the same. I still have about 1.25” of rake, but it’s perfect for my future plans. Even my wife noticed it when it was first done :)

Users who are viewing this thread