5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy Screen

tul9033

Reaction score
The fuel economy screen has 2 screens you can toggle back and forth to (left/right toggle). What is the purpose of the 2 screens. Every time I reset the first one, both screens are reset. I thought the second screen would keep a running total, but it's always reset along with the first screen.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmm, I have a trip A and B or something like that, it doesn’t reset unless I reset them both. Look at your manual. Older posts from the Gen 4 forum say it only tracks the last 500 miles.

Damion

Reaction score
Mine is the same both screens, the 2nd one does not have the instant mpg.

tul9033

Reaction score
Here's the screen. I'll double check, but my recollection was both screens are updated in real time.
Why would one update real time and the other not?

Attachments

• IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 147

Damion

Reaction score
The bar is realtime but there no real time numbers

tul9033

Reaction score
Current is the real time MPG as you are moving. Avg MPG changes in real time as well. Full throttle and the Avg MPG will start dropping in real time.

GerryS

Reaction score
Funny thing is that that the average changes quickly even after a lot of miles. So the average MPG is probably not "from the beginning of time" but more likely the average over the last "X" miles.

Cheers
Gerry

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny thing is that that the average changes quickly even after a lot of miles. So the average MPG is probably not "from the beginning of time" but more likely the average over the last "X" miles.

Cheers
Gerry
The 'current' is the real time, instant in time, fuel mileage. The 'average' is the average fuel mileage since the last reset.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021505 miles.

GerryS

Reaction score
The 'current' is the real time, instant in time, fuel mileage. The 'average' is the average fuel mileage since the last reset.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021505 miles.

I read elsewhere that it is the average for the last 300 miles or so, and I would agree. It changes too quickly after say 1000 miles to be the average since the last reset

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read elsewhere that it is the average for the last 300 miles or so, and I would agree. It changes too quickly after say 1000 miles to be the average since the last reset
Well, I guess you'll have to point us to where you are referring. I've gone over a thousand miles without resetting and I've experienced just the opposite: it changes slowly. And it's reacting the same as my two previous 4th gens.

Best regards,
Dusty

GerryS

Reaction score
Well, I guess you'll have to point us to where you are referring. I've gone over a thousand miles without resetting and I've experienced just the opposite: it changes slowly. And it's reacting the same as my two previous 4th gens.

Best regards,
Dusty
Well, I thought it was in this forum somewhere, but I can't find it, and I don't know if it's correct. However, on our recent trip to Colorado from Illinois and back, the average fuel economy seemed to change a lot. I never reset it after the trip which was in excess of 2500 miles. When I got back home it was reading 19 mpg. I could then drive to work 11 miles away and watch it drop to 18.5. Then, on the way home, watching and driving to get the best mileage, I could get it back up to 19.

Cheers
Gerry

tul9033

Reaction score
I've compared both screens and they are identical in form and function. Both show current MPG and Avg MPG in real time. Resetting one resets the other.
Now why are there 2 screens if they are the same?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've compared both screens and they are identical in form and function. Both show current MPG and Avg MPG in real time. Resetting one resets the other.
Now why are there 2 screens if they are the same?

They aren't. One shows "Current" in the upper right and the other doesn't. At least, that's how it is on my truck.

tul9033

Reaction score
You're right the 2nd screen does not say current. If that's the only difference why have 2 screens? The current MPG is still displayed in the moving half circle graphic on both screens.

They aren't. One shows "Current" in the upper right and the other doesn't. At least, that's how it is on my truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're right the 2nd screen does not say current. If that's the only difference why have 2 screens? The current MPG is still displayed in the moving half circle graphic on both screens.
Exactly. Why?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a guess. Most Graphic User Interface (GUI) developers try to allow the end user to decrease or control what any individual may consider visual noise. Just like the ability to change the position of certain read-outs (oil pressure, voltage, oil temp, transmission temp, digital speed, etc.), the screen developers have allowed a person to configure the display to their personal desires since the preferences of any two people will be different.

For example, I find it difficult to rapidly convert what my eye sees to how my brain understands the circle representation of current gas mileage because of the lack of color contrast between the green and white. So I use the digital version on the right side of the screen because I can more readily understand a number.

So while a configuration may not make sense to some, it will for others.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021555 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a guess. Most Graphic User Interface (GUI) developers try to allow the end user to decrease or control what any individual may consider visual noise. Just like the ability to change the position of certain read-outs (oil pressure, voltage, oil temp, transmission temp, digital speed, etc.), the screen developers have allowed a person to configure the display to their personal desires since the preferences of any two people will be different.

For example, I find it difficult to rapidly convert what my eye sees to how my brain understands the circle representation of current gas mileage because of the lack of color contrast between the green and white. So I use the digital version on the right side of the screen because I can more readily understand a number.

So while a configuration may not make sense to some, it will for others.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021555 miles.
This makes sense, but the fact that both fuel economy graphics leave a bunch of “dead space” towards the bottom of the screen makes them look half-baked to me.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Today I reset the trip odometer when I filled up. I made a couple short trips so my trip mpg was about 9 but the fuel economy screen was at 21ish. (I just got back from a long trip) This afternoon, I drove to Las Vegas. The gap between trip and average economy kept shrinking and they finally read the same at 165 miles. Whether it goes by mileage or minutes run, I couldn't say. But I intend to top off and test it again on the drive home.

Users who are viewing this thread