5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

ac1dd

Reaction score
These modern AC temps are not near what the old R-12 systems were. My GMC 3/4 ton van with dual air, blew a measured 27 degrees from the vents. My old Datsun's would blow a measured 32 degrees. I had a couple of R134 vehicles, that I got down to upper 30's out of the vents.

While R12 was slightly superior to r134a and now r1234yf when the systems are operating optimally the r1234yf system in the 2019 New Ram will cool just as well as any r134a system like the old model Ram does. This is an issue of a poorly designed system or faulty mechanical items like flaps and or other parts. Don't buy into the LIE that r1234yf won't cool properly because it is a different refrigerant.

ldoh

Reaction score
While R12 was slightly superior to r134a and now r1234yf when the systems are operating optimally the r1234yf system in the 2019 New Ram will cool just as well as any r134a system like the old model Ram does. This is an issue of a poorly designed system or faulty mechanical items like flaps and or other parts. Don't buy into the LIE that r1234yf won't cool properly because it is a different refrigerant.

I agree. They would compensate by adjusting the selection of the compressor, condenser, etc if the mandated refrigerant didn't push the heat load as well.

FCA screwed up and is attempting to kick the can on it. They probably figure they can ride out the warranty complaints for a couple of years since the issue should only be present 2-4 mos out of the year for the average owner.

R4M

Reaction score
Good to see I'm not alone on this issue. It's unfortunate these issues weren't worked through during pre-production vehicle testing.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I bit the bullet, they are tearing into it now, they believe a blend door is not sealing properly.
If it’s OK to ask while they’re in there, maybe they could look at the portion of the blend door that is supposed to isolate the defrost vent when defrost is not on. I notice there is cold air hitting the windshield when I do not have defrost selected, which is causing fogging on the outside of the windshield when it’s humid outside. My 2018 Camaro ZL1 had this problem and Chevy had a solution that almost eliminated it completely.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they determine
well So to update I heard back from the dealer that it was fixed, went to pick it up and all they did was replace a line again that they said was leaking. Even though they and Chrysler agreed that issue was in the plenum they refused to try to do the repair. When I went to pick it up the AC was worse then before I took it in. The general manager tried to tell me my temp probe was off which I assumed was true but only by a few degrees. When I showed them it was only getting down to 65 degrees and asked if the tech was retarded or what the problem was the general manager told me to take it somewhere else then. When I played the voicemail of the corporate case manager telling that they were not going to replace the line and that they were to pull the dash the dealership said the case manager was lying. I think @RamCares doesnt care about or AC issues at all. This sucks tremendously

JB2

Reaction score
This sucks tremendously

Sheesh, that conversation sounds maddening. So now we have Ram Dealership GM's accusing Ram Customer Service folks of lying!?! That certainly puts actual customers in a pickle.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Sheesh, that conversation sounds maddening. So now we have Ram Dealership GM's accusing Ram Customer Service folks of lying!?! That certainly puts actual customers in a pickle.
Yes it does when I told the case manager what the dealership said she was not thrilled but short of buying this truck back I bet that cant or wont do anything. I just ordered a valve

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that really sucks, it appears that they don’t want to open the can of worms by getting to the bottom of the problem.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it does when I told the case manager what the dealership said she was not thrilled but short of buying this truck back I bet that cant or wont do anything. I just ordered a valve
Please give us the name and location of this dealership so we can avoid it. Hope you have other dealerships available to you. Thanks. Also, as an after thought, why didn't you ask the General Manager to test your temperatures in your presence using his instruments and yours. Seems like that would have been a reasonable request, since he was so sure your instrument was wrong?

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Please give us the name and location of this dealership so we can avoid it. Hope you have other dealerships available to you. Thanks. Also, as an after thought, why didn't you ask the General Manager to test your temperatures in your presence using his instruments and yours. Seems like that would have been a reasonable request, since he was so sure your instrument was wrong?
Bloomington Indiana. They knew the truck wast fixed I had the general manager look at the truck and told him my gauge was off a few degrees but not 10. I also had an IR gun but he told me if I didnt think it was fixed to just go else where. My issue is that they didnt follow through with the star case or the assistance of the engineer. In the end the did the exact same repair they did the trip prior, they dont want to open up the dash. I think I am going to take it back to them again just to **** them off lol. My next closes dealer is 40 minutes away.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
Community Chrysler in Bloomington Indiana. They knew the truck wast fixed I had the general manager look at the truck and told him my gauge was off a few degrees but not 10. I also had an IR gun but he told me if I didnt think it was fixed to just go else where. My issue is that they didnt follow through with the star case or the assistance of the engineer. In the end the did the exact same repair they did the trip prior, they dont want to open up the dash. I think I am going to take it back to them again just to **** them off lol. My next closes dealer is 40 minutes away.

Start a Lemon Law claim against them - in Indiana you have some decent LL rights:

"What’s more, the Indiana Lemon Law provides that the automobile manufacturer is responsible to pay the consumer’s attorneys’ fees. Therefore, consumers may use the Indiana Lemon Law to retain attorneys who will represent them wherein the attorneys rely solely on their ability to win the consumer’s case to be paid. "

"The Indiana Lemon Law also provides that automobile manufacturers must continue to attempt to repair your vehicle even after you have invoked your rights under the law. Further, the Lemon Law makes clear that the dealership cannot aid the manufacturer to attempt to cover up a Lemon Law claim by not documenting the problems with the vehicle. As such, consumers may insist that the manufacturer and its dealers provide a repair receipt every time their vehicle is subject to repair."

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Start a Lemon Law claim against them - in Indiana you have some decent LL rights:

"What’s more, the Indiana Lemon Law provides that the automobile manufacturer is responsible to pay the consumer’s attorneys’ fees. Therefore, consumers may use the Indiana Lemon Law to retain attorneys who will represent them wherein the attorneys rely solely on their ability to win the consumer’s case to be paid. "

"The Indiana Lemon Law also provides that automobile manufacturers must continue to attempt to repair your vehicle even after you have invoked your rights under the law. Further, the Lemon Law makes clear that the dealership cannot aid the manufacturer to attempt to cover up a Lemon Law claim by not documenting the problems with the vehicle. As such, consumers may insist that the manufacturer and its dealers provide a repair receipt every time their vehicle is subject to repair."
Thats the plan but you dont get the full cost back, you have to deduct milages as a percent of 100,000 miles. So 10,000 miles you only get 90% back

M

MJB4450

well So to update I heard back from the dealer that it was fixed, went to pick it up and all they did was replace a line again that they said was leaking. Even though they and Chrysler agreed that issue was in the plenum they refused to try to do the repair. When I went to pick it up the AC was worse then before I took it in. The general manager tried to tell me my temp probe was off which I assumed was true but only by a few degrees. When I showed them it was only getting down to 65 degrees and asked if the tech was retarded or what the problem was the general manager told me to take it somewhere else then. When I played the voicemail of the corporate case manager telling that they were not going to replace the line and that they were to pull the dash the dealership said the case manager was lying. I think @RamCares doesnt care about or AC issues at all. This sucks tremendously
This is the kind of dealership ethic that made me swear off Chevy's years ago. I was leaning towards trading a Challenger I have for another Ram just yesterday, but the thought of putting up with a dealership hassle made me hesitate. I live in Southern Arizona where the interior of a vehicle gets 140 degrees and up in a few minutes. It's bad enough that today's overly computerized vehicles take so long to start the air flow after the engine is started (remember when the fan started blowing when you turned they key?) but to have such weak A/C is unacceptable. I know some are satisfied with their A/C performance, but I won't take that chance until they get a definite fix for this.

Influencer

Reaction score
Lifelong Ford driver. Picked up a 2019 Ram Laramie. 85* outside, 85* inside the truck after a half hour on the highway, tried every setting. Already told one buddy to forget the Ram after a problem with the ABS. We'll see what the dealer says on Monday.

MTaylor

Reaction score
New Forum member here. Joined up to learn more and where have input to RAM discussions.

I've had a 2009 and now currently have a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport with 3.55 gears. I've been eye-balling the new rigs and almost pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. Decided to hold off and do some more reading before I took the trucks out for another test drive to determine if I wanted coil or air suspension. In my research came across this thread and found it troubling to say the least as my current and previous Rams have ice cold AC's. Living in Tx, this is a MUST !

Has anyone gone out and tested the 20's to see if they have same issue? Know anyone with a '20 to test? I understand this doesn't help the 2019 owners ...but could provide some good insight for those like me reading these forums that are ready to buy now.

Users who are viewing this thread