5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat and Etorque

NinjaMJD

Reaction score
So I just got my Etorque Hemi on Saturday. I live in Arizona. Noticed the Etorque worked in the morning on the way to work when it was merely only 90 out. Then noticed it wasn't working on the way home when it was 108 or whatever. The system says it was off due to heat. Was working again this morning on the way to work. Am I just not going to be able to use the Etorque half the year over here? Anyone else have the etorque system where it's hotter than Satans ice cream truck half the year?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just got my Etorque Hemi on Saturday. I live in Arizona. Noticed the Etorque worked in the morning on the way to work when it was merely only 90 out. Then noticed it wasn't working on the way home when it was 108 or whatever. The system says it was off due to heat. Was working again this morning on the way to work. Am I just not going to be able to use the Etorque half the year over here? Anyone else have the etorque system where it's hotter than Satans ice cream truck half the year?

If you do the heater core valve for the AC, it will make a significant difference in how often the start/stop operates since the system is no longer fighting it's own heat. On mine it made about a 50% improvement in how often and long it stops, not to mention that when it does stop, it still blows cool or better for at least 3 minutes.

SacRebel

Reaction score
This is interesting..I didn't know the eTorque would disable itself if the vehicle got too hot.

NinjaMJD

Reaction score
If you do the heater core valve for the AC, it will make a significant difference in how often the start/stop operates since the system is no longer fighting it's own heat. On mine it made about a 50% improvement in how often and long it stops, not to mention that when it does stop, it still blows cool or better for at least 3 minutes.

How do you do that?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is interesting..I didn't know the eTorque would disable itself if the vehicle got too hot.

It can at some point but what they are referring to is that the start/stop will not activate if the truck is not cool, i.e. keep running the AC to cool off.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you do that?

Search is your friend:

downsjh

Reaction score
I noticed my start/stop does disable ~109, however I'm fine with this since I typically want full AC during this time. I'm in Tucson, so this does happen fairly often in summer. Not as bad as some areas in Arizona, like Phoenix.
However, if the AC were to stay cooler longer (the temp instantly increases when my truck "stops" at a light), this might bother me.

NinjaMJD

Reaction score
I noticed my start/stop does disable ~109, however I'm fine with this since I typically want full AC during this time. I'm in Tucson, so this does happen fairly often in summer. Not as bad as some areas in Arizona, like Phoenix.
However, if the AC were to stay cooler longer (the temp instantly increases when my truck "stops" at a light), this might bother me.

I ended up buying mine in Tuscon at Larry H Miller, only place that had one in patriot blue without it stickering at 70k.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I passed through Barstow when it was 113 on the highway and 109 at a rest stop; I didn't see any errors however I know that S/Stop will say 'ready' on the screen until it finds a reason to cancel. A few reasons it will cancel:

- angle of the truck (ie stopped uphill, not downhill)
- HVAC Load (generally cooling, but does the same when heat load is > than engine temp minimum of 135* as I've observed)
- the button of course

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
I hadnt modified my ac core or anything, but what your explaining seems normal. Mines all stock no ac core hack and I live in Florida and when vehicle sits in parking lot all day with sunlight beating it down and I jump in after work in afternoon, it's too hot for the etorque to work initially. As I blast AC it cools the etorque battery behind rear seat and all is working again. I'd say maybe 5-10 minutes and it should have cooled enough to operate. You wont use etorque very long when ac blasting, so ya maybe half the year lol! May cool your battery quicker if using floor vents too

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hadnt modified my ac core or anything, but what your explaining seems normal. Mines all stock no ac core hack and I live in Florida and when vehicle sits in parking lot all day with sunlight beating it down and I jump in after work in afternoon, it's too hot for the etorque to work initially. As I blast AC it cools the etorque battery behind rear seat and all is working again. I'd say maybe 5-10 minutes and it should have cooled enough to operate. You wont use etorque very long when ac blasting, so ya maybe half the year lol! May cool your battery quicker if using floor vents too
To be clear, you’re referring to the start/stop system that is part of eTorque, not eTorque itself. You wouldn’t be able to drive the truck much at all without eTorque “working” (i.e. with no generator).

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
To be clear, you’re referring to the start/stop system that is part of eTorque, not eTorque itself. You wouldn’t be able to drive the truck much at all without eTorque “working” (i.e. with no generator).
Yes, sorry that's accurate. Truck still starts and runs without start/stop activated or I'd be one mad etorque owner!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not scene mine disable itself because of heat either, we've had plenty of days in the mid to upper 90's this summer. Now the truck may not turn off at a stoplight for the first 15 minutes until the cabin is cooled off enough.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have not scene mine disable itself because of heat either, we've had plenty of days in the mid to upper 90's this summer. Now the truck may not turn off at a stoplight for the first 15 minutes until the cabin is cooled off enough.
Agreed. Even in our 105 degree weather this week, the start/stop function operates once I've been cruising on the highway gently for a little while. But it may only work once or twice in town before the heat builds up enough in low-speed traffic to disable the system.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the goal of start/stop is to save fuel. However, how many people would use/buy it if it created an uncomfortable environment inside the vehicle when stopped?
The automakers just like to use it as a tool with the EPA to say our fuel mileage is now better.

My previous vehicle had it and it was nice, I guess. I turned it off permanently as I wasn't in enough stop and go for it to make any difference really, I would constantly stop and then immediately start moving again. It did have bounds on outside temperature of when it would deactivate.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying eTorque is not active because "cabin heating/cooling" is occurring? Or is the eTorque battery pack temperature too high from being in the scorching hot cab and needs to cool?

chad202

Reaction score
Whenever the cabin is doing heavy cooling/heating, it renders the start/stop inactive.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whenever the cabin is doing heavy cooling/heating, it renders the start/stop inactive.
I'm well aware of that, but I'm more curious if the eTorque battery gets too heat soaked from being in the extreme summer sun and disables the system until it can cool.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm well aware of that, but I'm more curious if the eTorque battery gets too heat soaked from being in the extreme summer sun and disables the system until it can cool.
I doubt that, since it’s nestled inside the cab (behind the rear seat) and incorporates its own cooling fan.

Users who are viewing this thread