5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

diamondmi

Reaction score
Well, how disappointing. When ordering the 2020, there was no online build app. So I just ordered everything as I built out the 2019. I was not told and not sure the dealer even knew.

But I was fiddling around with the center console and noticed a small cubby space above the phone charging pad.

Then I realized that’s where the CD player is supposed to be. Now I’m wondering if that was something I had to order and the dealer didn’t tell me. WHAT!? I’m pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!

R

Rob5589

I was a bit surprised mine didn't come with one. But then again, it is nearly 2020, streaming/mp3 is where we are now. Hell, I grew up on albums and cassettes, with some 8 tracks thrown in for good measure, and no longer haul around my cd collection.

I would guess you could buy one and have it installed if available.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, how disappointing. When ordering the 2020, there was no online build app. So I just ordered everything as I built out the 2019. I was not told and not sure the dealer even knew.

But I was fiddling around with the center console and noticed a small cubby space above the phone charging pad.

Then I realized that’s where the CD player is supposed to be. Now I’m wondering if that was something I had to order and the dealer didn’t tell me. WHAT!? I’m pissed.

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!
Sounds like we have similar trucks. My “old” 2019 came with a CD player, though ;)

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Wait - you built it, it didn't have a CD player and you're pizzed the dealer didn't call you to ask if you wanted a CD player? GTFO.

I'm upset mine came with a CD player - useless hunk of garbage and a waste of space for prehistoric technology.

You are buying a $50K plus truck, you can probably spring or some technology from this century.:devilish:

spaightlabs

Reaction score
I added it onto my build. It was a $0 add-on, assuming you got the Level II Equipment Package. CDs sound better and get louder at lower volumes.

Allright - I'm old so I feel comfortable saying this - that's an old fogey argument. It is the equivalent of saying vinyl sounds better than Cd's.

Maybe you guys can get a turntable mounted in your rigs?:ROFLMAO:

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Allright - I'm old so I feel comfortable saying this - that's an old fogey argument. It is the equivalent of saying vinyl sounds better than Cd's.

Maybe you guys can get a turntable mounted in your rigs?:ROFLMAO:
Lol I’m 26 and still buy CDs. It’s just too bad Best Buy stopped carrying them! CDs are without a doubt a better use of our premium sound systems. Bluetooth creates lower-resolution audio because it carries less sonic information. Typically muddles, distorts and dampens/lessens sound. Even the difference of Bluetooth vs wired I notice within a few minutes of driving.

I remember about a year ago when I bought my other car, I brought my case of CDs. The salesperson asked what I was intending on doing with them. I said I was going to give them a rotation once I left the lot. He said not in this car lol. Alfa Romeo/Maserati stopped with them altogether a couple years ago. At least with RAM we still have the option.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Lol I’m 26 and still buy CDs. It’s just too bad Best Buy stopped carrying them! CDs are without a doubt a better use of our premium sound systems. Bluetooth creates lower-resolution audio because it carries less sonic information. Typically muddles, distorts and dampens/lessens sound. Even the difference of Bluetooth vs wired I notice within a few minutes of driving.

I remember about a year ago when I bought my other car, I brought my case of CDs. The salesperson asked what I was intending on doing with them. I said I was going to give them a rotation once I left the lot. He said not in this car lol. Alfa Romeo/Maserati stopped with them altogether a couple years ago. At least with RAM we still have the option.

At 26 I'll give you credit for having good enough hearing to tell the difference. (y) At my age and the amount of time I've spent in the close seats at concerts and around gun fire I'm well past those days.

Lize

Reaction score
I haven't used mine yet will put a disc in it at some stage but not carry any others. I went out in my car today and forgot my phone so it was handy so I had some music to listen to as opposed to resorting to the radio. I ordered level 2 package so it came with that but I wouldn't have specifically opted for it.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be something they changed on the 2020's. My 2019 Bighorn Level 1 has a CD player. I've used it once in the 10 months I've owned my truck.

Last edited:

diamondmi

Reaction score
I also ordered the top level package, all the bells and whistles. However, it seems the 2020 doesn’t automatically come with a CD player. Not sure if it’s even an option. When I call my dealer I’ll ask if they even offer it in the 2020.

I realize it’s old technology but I still have some I listen to and have sermons from a favorite pastor I recently purchased and it came with all CDs. I’ll rip them onto a thumb drive and listen to them that way.

I was pissed (not pizzed) because I would assume if something that came by default in the 2019 didn’t come in the 2020 my dealer would have said something. I’ll post a photo of the storage that took its place.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Now we need the part number of this cubby so we can "upgrade" our old trucks with more storage.
Can anyone post a photo of what the no-CD cubby looks like?

I was thinking the same thing, I’m willing to trade my CD player for the cubby....

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is exactly right. Most other audio options are compressed or truncated, leaving out the "unimportant" stuff like hiss - but all of the frequency waves contribute to the sound and "feel" of music. I've been a musician virtually my entire life and certain media definitely sounds better than others. That's one of the reasons we still sell CDs at our shows despite the fact that most people will do the online downloads.

Now, does that mean I'm a Luudite? Nope - I listen to bluetooth, mp3s, satellite radio, etc. All inferior quality to most anything on CD but tolerable in most conditions because of ease of use.

LouCap

Reaction score

I notice you got the trailer tow group...did the dealer tell you that the tow mirrors are not power folding and you lose your 360 cameras? That would bother me more than the CD player if I wasn't told about that whole debacle.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang. Can someone post a picture of the '20 cubby? I was getting a rock chip repaired yesterday and just stared at that dang CD player and wondered what I could fit into that spot...

Users who are viewing this thread