5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can turn it off in the gen 5's. Just 2 little toggle buttons in my truck, one for front, one for rear, and they stay off when the ignition is turned back off/on again. It's a non issue if you're worried about that.

I also understand it's possible to just have the warning sound and dash notification, without the truck actually braking? I could be wrong about this part, I haven't played with my settings enough. But the 2 toggle switches definitely work as described above.

yes, I'm pretty sure you can just get a warning sound and flashing light. I would probably just use that if I had it, my sister has just a warning on her Chevy and it works well.

klail

Reaction score
I think this is similar to when you're using the adaptive cruise control and the vehicle in front of you slows and changes lanes to make a right turn. The truck doesn't realize there is no longer the vehicle in front and will brake with them. Kind of annoying but now that I am used to it and plan for it, it's no longer an issue.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Our 2015 durango the auto braking has fully applied the brakes 2 times. I've gotten the warning to brake several times. Each time someone is making a slow right hand turn, and i am approaching them knowing they will be clear by the time i get there, so it was annoying. I've now learned to slightly jog left (still within my lane), which helps the computer sensors believe i'm avoiding the obstacle it senses.

You have to take the good with the bad on these systems. The good is obviously it may save you (or someone else that is driving your vehicle) from slamming into something you didn't notice. The bad is obviously the system may activate when you are aware of the obstacle and were going to avoid it anyway - like what happened to the OP.

I do not know about the pretensioner.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I absolutely despise all these advanced safety features on some of the newer vehicles and I hate driving my wife’s Lexus. The stupid adaptive cruise control that you cant disable, the lane assist won’t let you leave your lane unless you signal , way too much crap to just drive a vehicle. Some Toyota’s you can’t buy in any trim level without all that crap. I was so relieved when I was shopping that I could get a Big Horn without all that stuff. I’m almost 50 years old, been driving for 34 years and never needed a robot car to keep me from crashing into other vehicles and the systems are not user friendly unless you are a sheep and follow directly behind the car in front of you and do not actually drive the vehicle. I feel for you OP.

Like wise. Its also dangerous as hell. Drove my wifes suv that has that lane assist **** and it was near the winter months. Was on the hwy when it started getting foggy and black ice was forming. Staying in the groves in my lane was causing the suv to fish tail a little so i kept driving out of the groves which put me on or at the dotted line (no other traffic around). The stupid lane assist kept bringing me back in a rough way. It wasnt jerking me over but with the road conditions it was being to aggressive and adding in the groves in the lane, almost caused me to lose control multiple times. Finally figured out how to turn all that **** off.

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
So instead of just wiping the bugs off, you bring it to the dealer instead??? :unsure:
I cleaned the sensor I'm not that stupid still doing it I had 300 to 400 miles on my trk

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Like wise. Its also dangerous as hell. Drove my wifes suv that has that lane assist **** and it was near the winter months. Was on the hwy when it started getting foggy and black ice was forming. Staying in the groves in my lane was causing the suv to fish tail a little so i kept driving out of the groves which put me on or at the dotted line (no other traffic around). The stupid lane assist kept bring me back in a rough way. It was jerking me over but with the road conditions it was being to aggressive and adding in the groves in the lane, almost caused me to lose control multiple times. Finally figured out how to turn all that **** off.
This is actually very good advice when the snowy winter season starts. I think the lane assist is great for regular dry pavement but when you get in more sketchy conditions I could see this issue happening. I need to remember to turn this off when I go up into temps that are freezing or snowy.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I have been scared to turn on the Forward Collision Braking for this exact reason. I have it set right now to be audible only. It kind of sucks because I want the vehicle to be as safe as possible for my family therefore want to turn it on however I do not want this situation to happen to me. We also just purchased a new Grand Cherokee and opted to forgo this auto braking however I wish it still would maintain the audio alerts with out it (I do not think it does). Will just need to keep being a careful driver.

Also, when I back out of my parking space I need to get pretty close to some bushes. The auto reverse braking messes me up every time so I need to turn it off each time backing out then I turn it back on when I get past the bush. Glad the toggle switch is easy to flip on and off. Minor inconvenience to flip it but I want it on in general for that one time I accidentally need it.

R

Rob5589

While advanced safety features can be extremely useful, they will take getting used to at first. If you like to ride peoples asses, turn it off or provide more distance. Like to take turns quickly, again, turn it off or slow down. If you're an aggressive driver, just disable it. Always remember, the main "computer" is the one wrapped by your skull. Drive safe.

ldoh

Reaction score
They say today's adaptive cruise control equipped vehicles are more safe. But they have a few shortcomings. It will apply frequent needless brakes.

Because radar data takes time to collect and process, the radar's command instructions (brake/throttle/gear shift/alerts) tend to be a few seconds behind what's really happening in the front windshield - aka ACC doesn't operate in real time. That's by design. It isn't ideal for sure. So cars that were in the lane a few secs back are still in the lane and require a alert or hard alert brake. It takes time to get use to the quirks and eventually you learn to live with it by over riding the throttle or slightly steering (pointing) the vehicle away from the lead vehicle's path. At times ACC drives like a distracted driver as it's slow to apply throttle as an accelerating lead car pulls away from a stop and it's slow to apply brake for a decelerating lead vehicle and therefore requires a stiffer brake application. Otherwise ACC works pretty well on the open roads.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
And that’s the reason I have the warnings but not the automatic braking enabled. I’ve experienced a few ghost alarms and realized these systems lack the contextual understanding required to make smart decisions.

if only there was a way to disable the automatic braking while reversing that **** would be turned off too. It’s utter garbage. It locked my brakes today for no reason, on a completely flat and open parking lot, and made me look like an idiot.

The lane keep assist is garbage as well. I’ve had occasions where a car is drifting into my lane so I’ve needed to slightly move into the next lane but the keep assist almost pushed me back onto a car that’s encroached in my lane.

it all sounds so good in paper but in real life none of it works. Even the automatic cruise control loves slamming on the brakes.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
And that’s the reason I have the warnings but not the automatic braking enabled. I’ve experienced a few ghost alarms and realized these systems lack the contextual understanding required to make smart decisions.

if only there was a way to disable the automatic braking while reversing that **** would be turned off too. It’s utter garbage. It locked my brakes today for no reason, on a completely flat and open parking lot, and made me look like an idiot.

The lane keep assist is garbage as well. I’ve had occasions where a car is drifting into my lane so I’ve needed to slightly move into the next lane but the keep assist almost pushed me back onto a car that’s encroached in my lane.

it all sounds so good in paper but in real life none of it works. Even the automatic cruise control loves slamming on the brakes.

The automatic braking on reverse can be turned off. It’s in your Uconnect settings. I turned mine off.

j517

Reaction score

I felt ur pain the past my driveway everytime I reversed out

j517

Reaction score
All this tech is making everyone stupider by the day.

Who remembers more then 5 phone numbers
Who can add, subtract, multiply, or dive in their heads
Spelling is another

We have come to depend way to much on tech.

We getting dumber by the day

knightro84

Reaction score
The "far" setting on FCW is the most sensitive, meaning that it will warn you of a possible collision with a vehicle in front of you when that vehicle is at a farther distance than the default "medium" setting. I have mine set to "near" because even at the medium setting I found it was aggressive in applying the brakes for my liking in situations where a car in front of me was slowing down and turning right.

From the manual:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All this tech is making everyone stupider by the day.

Who remembers more then 5 phone numbers
Who can add, subtract, multiply, or dive in their heads
Spelling is another

We have come to depend way to much on tech.

We getting dumber by the day

And no one reads the manual any more either...

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope had it on low and far. At times in my opinion that system is confused. I traded in my 1500 for a 2500 pw and I have no issues backing out the drive way I'm going to have stealership check the front ones sometimes it beeps and and tells me to clean the sensor but all I saw on the sensor was dead bugs

Far is the most sensitive warning. You want it on
near.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't call ~6 feet "room to maneuver." Sounds like you attempted an unsafe lane change while the auto braking system was sensing your proximity to the vehicle in front of you.
That's what I was thinking as well. 20 MPH = 1760 feet per minute = 29 feet per second. Even at a car length the system sensed you were less than 1 second from rear-ending another vehicle. That you managed to get into the empty lane before it stopped the vehicle was probably just a matter of physics, i.e. you were already sliding into that lane.

Nevertheless, it's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't have that system going forward and that I can turn it off going backward. There's no possible way a computer system can know what you know by knowledge; it can only react to inputs based on algorithms. You've probably slid out of an accident dozens, maybe hundreds of times, driving in stop and go traffic, but all the computer sees is you approaching the rear of a car at 29 feet per second and you are less than 20 feet from that car.

Don't know the answer to the other questions. I suspect the system worked just as it was designed to based on your post. I know you can turn off the auto-braking in reverse, as I have mine off because the sensors think sloped driveways are potential accidents :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/