5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Milage 2019 Rebel 5.7

mpurkey

Reaction score
Took my first road in my Rebel. 600 miles or so and averaged 19.0 mpg. Seems I would get better Milage with MDS turned off than with it engaged. 33415

SacRebel

Reaction score
What speed were you driving?

The best I can get is about 15 mpg on flat highway using cruise control at 75.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have 2500 miles on mine. I've been noticing a steady increase in mileage as it breaks in. Just did a 300+ mile trip up to Hanover NH and back yesterday with a round trip average of 18.1 mpg. This includes mild city traffic thru Boston. My cruise was set to 72 MPH, though for stretches I traveled faster. That's simply going by the computer, but I have no reason to suspect is off by a measurable degree.

At 72, MDS was on a lot. Oddly, during some steeper downhills it would shut off and come back on when things flattened out... engine breaking maybe?

So far I'm fine with fuel mileage. I knew before getting the truck it wasn't going to be great on gas. If MPG keeps improving as it's been, and I can end up coaxing 20 mpg out of it, cruising around 70-75... I'll be thrilled. Not holding my breath there, but the improvement over time has me optimistic.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

That's pretty low. Do you have 3.92 gears?
I averaged ~19.7 on a recent trip to FL (>600 mls) at 75 MPH (see my Fuelly sig for details).
City is a different story for me. I have a commute that is less than a mile, which kills my city mileage no matter which vehicle I drive.

Cheers,

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty low. Do you have 3.92 gears?
I averaged ~19.7 on a recent trip to FL (>600 mls) at 75 MPH (see my Fuelly sig for details).
City is a different story for me. I have a commute that is less than a mile, which kills my city mileage no matter which vehicle I drive.

Cheers,

How do you get your Fuelly to link to your sig?

jmac

Reaction score
I have 11k miles. 3.29 gears and average about 19.5 combined. when all highway I get 22mpg

SacRebel

Reaction score
Yes, I have a 3.92 diff so I get that. But still if it makes that much of a difference then FCA should have had a separate fuel estimate for the vehicle.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 3.92 diff so I get that. But still if it makes that much of a difference then FCA should have had a separate fuel estimate for the vehicle.
Not saying that it's just that, but it plays a part. Agree that it's on the lower end of what you should be seeing, and it can't be that it needs to be broken in. I made the same drive to FL two days after I bought my truck and got ~ 18.6 , so that's not it.

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
I thought all Rebels came with 3.92 gears. I was getting about 14 mpg at first, then had to have a fuel injector replaced that was flowing at a higher rate... now i am averaging 15.5-16.3 mpg.

mpurkey

Reaction score
I should have been more clear in my post. My speed was whatever the speed limit was which was 65-70 ish and the trip was from Raleigh to East Tennessee via interstates 40, 74, 77 and 81. I do have the 3.92 gearing option.

mpurkey

Reaction score
Interesting ... how do i activate/deactivate this?

The only way I know to deactivate it is to slept the - one gear sign and then up to 8. Also tow/haul defeats the MDS I believe. No expert though as I’m a relatively new Ram owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The only way I know to deactivate it is to slept the - one gear sign and then up to 8. Also tow/haul defeats the MDS I believe. No expert though as I’m a relatively new Ram owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% correct. They both deactivate MDS, and reset when engine is turned off.

Reactions: Jtr

Users who are viewing this thread