5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end slight wobble/shake. And MDS

JRadford43

Reaction score
Well the dealer couldnt find any issues when raising it up today. I'm going to take it to an FCA dealer in the area that received a customer satisfaction award last year. I'll drop it off there next week.

That will be my last option and unfortunately if they cant provide a fix I'll have to sell this truck back to the dealer. I dont mind paying cash for a beater truck for a year or two and revisiting down the line on my next option.

But with the rear end shake, mds being really bad(loud, clunky, vibrations), severe wind noise in the back doors at 45mph+, and I'm sure more issues coming I'm just going to have to get rid of the truck. I dont want to do this and I wanted to love the truck. But I put 2500 miles on this truck in a month, i cant continue to drive this truck with that shake in the back. I knew the risk of a new truck as this was my first time buying new, just unfortunate that the issues on this truck are too big to ignore.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the dealer couldnt find any issues when raising it up today. I'm going to take it to an FCA dealer in the area that received a customer satisfaction award last year. I'll drop it off there next week.

That will be my last option and unfortunately if they cant provide a fix I'll have to sell this truck back to the dealer. I dont mind paying cash for a beater truck for a year or two and revisiting down the line on my next option.

But with the rear end shake, mds being really bad(loud, clunky, vibrations), severe wind noise in the back doors at 45mph+, and I'm sure more issues coming I'm just going to have to get rid of the truck. I dont want to do this and I wanted to love the truck. But I put 2500 miles on this truck in a month, i cant continue to drive this truck with that shake in the back. I knew the risk of a new truck as this was my first time buying new, just unfortunate that the issues on this truck are too big to ignore.
Did they at least acknowledge the truck was shaking ? Maybe the next dealer will actually dig a little deeper than a visual inspection try to find something wrong with it.

GerryS

Reaction score
I take mine back in tomorrow to see if they can help look further into it.

Such a weird feeling trying to research what this could be. I feel it at literally every speed. Even when barely moving it feels like I'm just going over speed bumps. And when I reach around 60 it's a full on rear end shake, even has my leg shaking it can get so intense. But the intensity also comes and goes.

I'm going to at least push for them to do a road force balance and alignment check. I'm going to have them at least do one step at a time and hopefully we can go through a process of elimination. Now itll just be up to the dealership on their willingness to do that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If you feel this while barely moving, it must be a bent wheel, bent axle, loose lug nuts or an out of round tire. What I would do is put the truck up on jack stands so all four wheels are off the ground, then start it and put it in drive and watch the rear wheels spin to see if they run true. Then spin the fronts and check them also. (a wobbly front wheel might shake the rear end) Also, get the wrench out and make sure the lug nuts are tight.

Gerry

whetrick1

Reaction score
If you feel this while barely moving, it must be a bent wheel, bent axle, loose lug nuts or an out of round tire. What I would do is put the truck up on jack stands so all four wheels are off the ground, then start it and put it in drive and watch the rear wheels spin to see if they run true. Then spin the fronts and check them also. (a wobbly front wheel might shake the rear end) Also, get the wrench out and make sure the lug nuts are tight.

Gerry

It can also be slipped belts in the tire itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRadford43

Reaction score

Gerry
Thanks for the information on that, I'll be taking it to an FCA customer satisfaction award dealer next week I'm hoping when I tell them this that they will look into it. If this is the case I don't see why the other dealer I went to three times didn't figure it out. My guess is that they didn't put in any effort to look.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Just as an update the truck is now at a different dealer being looked at. This one already was leaps and bounds ahead of the other dealer. It makes sense why they received a customer satisfaction award. The guy I had assigned to me has different accolades and actually took the time to drive the truck for a bit with me. While driving he even acknowledged the rear end shake and knew they would have to look at any plausible cause.
I'm just glad he didnt pretend to not feel it and state that it was normal.

They will also be looking into the rear door wind noise as he did acknowledge that he and his service manager are trying different fixes on the managers ram.

He will look into fit and finish issues with my truck as well with door and bumper alignment.

And they followed up with getting me a loaner vehicle at no charge. So at this point it's a waiting game but I'm glad this dealer will at least take the time to look into everything. The other dealer would call me after a few hours and say there were no issues and that my truck was ready for pickup.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as an update the truck is now at a different dealer being looked at. This one already was leaps and bounds ahead of the other dealer. It makes sense why they received a customer satisfaction award. The guy I had assigned to me has different accolades and actually took the time to drive the truck for a bit with me. While driving he even acknowledged the rear end shake and knew they would have to look at any plausible cause.

They will also be looking into the rear door wind noise as he did acknowledge that he and his service manager are trying different fixes on the managers ram.

He will look into fit and finish issues with my truck as well with door and bumper alignment.

And they followed up with getting me a loaner vehicle at no charge. So at this point it's a waiting game but I'm glad this dealer will at least take the time to look into everything. The other dealer would call me after a few hours and say there were no issues and that my truck was ready for pickup.
Keep is posted, really interested in what they find, I like my truck less the wobble in the rear and don't want to put any money into it unless I can get rid of the wobble, unfortunately I dont have a dealer nearby that will put any effort into the problem. Hoping someone else with the issue finds a fix

rrbhokies

Reaction score

Please keep us posted. Where are you located? And is the loaner a 1500 as well and how does it ride?

Brain h

Reaction score

Please give updates...I'm going through the same thing with 2 different dealers

JRadford43

Reaction score
Please keep us posted. Where are you located? And is the loaner a 1500 as well and how does it ride?
I'll definitely post an update once they get back to me next week. As far as the loaner they gave me a grand Cherokee to drive around. I wasn't expecting them to even give me a loaner so I was just grateful that they even provided something to me.

Overlander

Reaction score
I have the exact same wobble. Limited w/ 3.92 on air. I can confirm 100% this is not due to tire or wheel. I've had road force, match mount and full wheel run out checked. Everything comes back great. Mine started around 500 miles on the odometer - I currently only have 2500 miles. Love the truck except for this wobble.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the exact same wobble. Limited w/ 3.92 on air. I can confirm 100% this is not due to tire or wheel. I've had road force, match mount and full wheel run out checked. Everything comes back great. Mine started around 500 miles on the odometer - I currently only have 2500 miles. Love the truck except for this wobble.

I have the same issue. Road forced and match mount twice. Checked run out. Wobble feels like ita from the rear. I think the problem is in the rear end. So far everyone that has had this issue has not had it fixed. I'm at 17k and the issue has only gotten worse, started off at around 57-61 mph now it's from 54 mph on up to 68 mph. Some days it's really mild, others it shakes pretty bad

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I'll definitely post an update once they get back to me next week. As far as the loaner they gave me a grand Cherokee to drive around. I wasn't expecting them to even give me a loaner so I was just grateful that they even provided something to me.
Any update @JRadford43?

JRadford43

Reaction score
Just to update I did get the truck back. Took a few weeks and I am glad to be out of the Grand Cherokee they provided to me.

They ended up Matching, mounting, and re balancing tires around to stop the vibration. I will say this so far, the vibration that was shaking the whole back of my seat is gone at highway speeds. The truck doesn't have a constant vibration as soon as I hit 60 like it did before, I hope it stays that way.

But I don't know, the truck just doesn't ride smooth like I thought it would. Almost like there is always a chatter type feel when driving down the road at normal speeds around 30-45mph. I'm not sure if it has to do with the anti vibration mechanisms on the frame or what but I just feel like the truck is shaking on smooth roads. At this point I want to go drive a few other Rams to see if I'm just overthinking all of this or if I'm correct on this. If anyone else has this feeling for sure chime in.

And just to verify, I don't mean shaking like the truck is shaking violently. More like I can always feel the mid-rear of the truck suspension overworking even on smooth roads, like the bed of the truck is wobbling and resonating into the back of my seat if that makes sense. And just to verify, all I've ever owned were trucks. 2000 dodge dakota, 2009 ram, 2019 ram. I don't recall having that feeling in my older Dodge/Ram.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just to update I did get the truck back. Took a few weeks and I am glad to be out of the Grand Cherokee they provided to me.

They ended up Matching, mounting, and re balancing tires around to stop the vibration. I will say this so far, the vibration that was shaking the whole back of my seat is gone at highway speeds. The truck doesn't have a constant vibration as soon as I hit 60 like it did before, I hope it stays that way.

But I don't know, the truck just doesn't ride smooth like I thought it would. Almost like there is always a chatter type feel when driving down the road at normal speeds around 30-45mph. I'm not sure if it has to do with the anti vibration mechanisms on the frame or what but I just feel like the truck is shaking on smooth roads. At this point I want to go drive a few other Rams to see if I'm just overthinking all of this or if I'm correct on this. If anyone else has this feeling for sure chime in.

And just to verify, I don't mean shaking like the truck is shaking violently. More like I can always feel the mid-rear of the truck suspension overworking even on smooth roads, like the bed of the truck is wobbling and resonating into the back of my seat if that makes sense. And just to verify, all I've ever owned were trucks. 2000 dodge dakota, 2009 ram, 2019 ram. I don't recall having that feeling in my older Dodge/Ram.

On the other thread titled "Slight Vibration" @elburrito82 said that his dealer found issues with the left and right vibration dampers. Still waiting to hear back if that resolves his issue or not.

I just heard back from him and he said that both the left and right vibration dampers were sending false signals (MDS I'm assuming). Basically they could be on when they shouldn't be and/or off when should be. He ordered new parts that should be in on Tuesday. After he installed them he said he'd test it again to see if that fixes it. If not he'll keep looking/testing until it's resolved. So far I'm very impressed with him and hope this finally fixes it!

Overlander

Reaction score
Was about to post the same thing @rrbhokies posted above. Mine is in the shop right now. I too experience vibrations in two different ranges 35-45 & 65+. Best way I could describe the 35-45 vibration is almost like a flutter, not a full-out vibration.

I don't think you are over thinking this.

Link to post referenced above:

Slight vibration

JRadford43

Reaction score
On the other thread titled "Slight Vibration" @elburrito82 said that his dealer found issues with the left and right vibration dampers. Still waiting to hear back if that resolves his issue or not.

Yea that could be the issue I'm feeling. Isn't there a way to unhook those? I wonder if the removal or turning off of those makes a difference in ride quality.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Was about to post the same thing @rrbhokies posted above. Mine is in the shop right now. I too experience vibrations in two different ranges 35-45 & 65+. Best way I could describe the 35-45 vibration is almost like a flutter, not a full-out vibration.

I don't think you are over thinking this.

Link to post referenced above:

Slight vibration

Yea, that's a good way to put it. Like a flutter coming from the rear, it's not over bearing but it's annoying to feel. Since it was taken to the dealer it doesn't feel like an all out vibration like before but more of the flutter type feel at 45mph, goes away, and picks back up more heavily at 60. Also it sometimes feels more prominent when going around turns and bends at 30-45mph.

Users who are viewing this thread