5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need everyone’s opinion

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tonight after work I went over my parent’s house to pick up my kids and my mom asked me if I wanted to stay for dinner. So I called my wife and had her meet us over there. During dinner it started raining out, so naturally my truck got soaked. It was a quick storm, only lasted about ten or fifteen minutes. I left shortly after dinner, and the kids jumped in with my wife and left a few minutes after me.

I recently waxed my truck and on the drive home I was watching all the water bead up on my hood and realized that there would be water spots all over my otherwise shiny, beautiful RAM. It was then that I decided that I would break out my back-pack leaf blower and blow dry my truck when I got home. I didn’t want to wipe it and risk scratches and/or swirl marks, but I knew I wanted it dried.

I was in the middle of drying my truck when my wife pulled down the driveway. I could tell by the look on her face that she thought I was nuts. My suspicion was confirmed when she pulled up along side me, rolled down the window and said “you’re nuts!” She and my kids had a good laugh at my expense.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. What do you think?

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time and have a great night!

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
Tell her you can do some chores at the weekend rather than spending ages polishing off the water spots.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have a green Hitachi leaf blower and I use it exactly for the cars. Its fantastic dealing with the Houston Pollen which lasts for weeks. In an hour your car is covered and in a few minutes its all gone.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tonight after work I went over my parent’s house to pick up my kids and my mom asked me if I wanted to stay for dinner. So I called my wife and had her meet us over there. During dinner it started raining out, so naturally my truck got soaked. It was a quick storm, only lasted about ten or fifteen minutes. I left shortly after dinner, and the kids jumped in with my wife life and left a few minutes after me.

I recently waxed my truck and on the drive home I was watching all the water bead up on my hood and realized that there would be water spots all over my otherwise shiny, beautiful RAM. It was then that I decided that I would break out my back-pack leaf blower and blow dry my truck when I got home. I didn’t want to wipe it and risk scratches and/or swirl marks, but I knew I wanted it dried.

I was in the middle of drying my truck when my wife pulled down the driveway. I could tell by the look on her face that she thought I was nuts. My suspicion was confirmed when she pulled up along side me, rolled down the window and said “you’re nuts!” She and my kids had a good laugh at my expense.

Absolutely sane! I use one whenever my truck or other cars sit for a bit and get a coating of pollen or dust on them. Many professional detailers use blowers to dry cars thoroughly. Particularly, to get water out of crevices and from behind moldings, mirrors...it’s a great idea. Stick with it

drush

Reaction score
I was kinda wondering if this is good or bad too. Seems to me like it’s better as it’s only air but I’m sure there’s plenty of tiny particles being sucked through a leaf blower that could scratch a finish? Interested for more responses

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering if this is good or bad too. Seems to me like it’s better as it’s only air but I’m sure there’s plenty of tiny particles being sucked through a leaf blower that could scratch a finish? Interested for more responses
Good thought but I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I think it’s harmless.

RAM_Blue

Reaction score

I have used one for years. I bought an electric one just for my vehicles. There are several videos on the internet of professional detailers using them. There are also "leaf blowers" made just for cars. They are great for getting water out from emblems, grill, mirrors, etc. where you wipe the drip and a new one appears. You wipe the drip and a new one appears. You are not crazy at all.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! I knew I wasn’t nuts!!

I’ve actually used the leaf-blower method before. My wife thinks I’m nuts not because of the technique, but more because I was even drying it at all..she thinks I’m obsessed with my RAM and, truth be told, she’s absolutely right!!

SemperGumby

Reaction score
If you want a really great demonstration of why a leaf blower is a great tool to use for this, wash the truck then dry it as good as you possibly can using traditional methods. Once you've gone through all of that and you don't spot a drop of water take the leaf blower to it, you'll be amazed at how many nooks and crannies the water sits in, water that could slowly drain down and leave spots or even lines.

My personal favorite areas are the seams of the folding mirrors, all of the emblems, and light housings.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
What you did makes perfect sense to me, people do call me nuts for similar stuff, so there is that .

shaveman

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! I knew I wasn’t nuts!!

I’ve actually used the leaf-blower method before. My wife thinks I’m nuts not because of the technique, but more because I was even drying it at all..she thinks I’m obsessed with my RAM and, truth be told, she’s absolutely right!!
Not sure you can count on an unbiased opinion from a bunch of people who are actively involved in a forum dedicated to their vehicles. :) But yes, I too obsess about water spots.

MPMRam

Reaction score
Tonight after work I went over my parent’s house to pick up my kids and my mom asked me if I wanted to stay for dinner. So I called my wife and had her meet us over there. During dinner it started raining out, so naturally my truck got soaked. It was a quick storm, only lasted about ten or fifteen minutes. I left shortly after dinner, and the kids jumped in with my wife and left a few minutes after me.

I use my battery operated 40 volt Ryobi blower to blow off the snow, works great as long as it's not a wet snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread