5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

Snakes709

Reaction score
First of all...Happy Birthday my friend! However, I think your perception of an improvement in pickup and mileage is your seat of the pants meter trying to justify the expense as there will be no noticeable increase in acceleration or economy when installing an airbox alone without a tune. They do sound nice though so enjoy the new sound and your perceived increase in performance as perception is reality (y)

Trust me, im the first person to call out someone saying they feel “24hp gain” from a intake. I made a post a few pages back about this and normally its a placebo effect. But there is definitely more of a pick up. Less effort to get up speed and the mds and eco light comes on alot more now and less downshifting since i have the 3.21’s

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Was debating doing a catch can as well. Was out driving around today and wife was shocked how loud the engine is now.

The catch can works great. Last dump I collected 2.5 ounces of gunk that would have run back through the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kosherdill34

Reaction score
I've had mine on for around 2 months or so and I have better pickup and I have seen an increase in gas mileage. And I also installed an oil catch can that a lot of people don't believe in. So enjoy it I am.
856a5111bf1076412279c22c5f43d3e4.jpg
e787f7fc26e350f70e23b1775b4daa85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which Catch Can are you using?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is one I have. 1/2-1/3rd the price of others.Does its job perfect. I’ve had it on for 8 months or so. Last time I removed vapor hose from can to intake manifold was still dry with nothing in it. Just like when install was done.

chainsaw

Reaction score
I saw a bunch talking about the different intakes. Did we get down to which one is best? I just upgraded from my 19 Lonestar to a 19 Laramie.

Rocko

Reaction score
New member here. Been looking around and absorbing all the info I can and decided to join today to share that I've got the best cold air intake available. I got the airaid mxp series installed today. And the reason I say it's the best is because I went to to the truck nationals truck show in Carlisle pa today and while talking to a company rep about intakes he asked if I'd put one on my truck. I said well not for $400 I wouldn't. Well then if shocked me by saying what if I give you one? So of course I was like yeah right. He said no seriously he just wanted before and after pics and pics of them doing the install so yeah best intake ever. FREE!!! So we'll see how it does and give him feedback as time goes.

Rocko

Reaction score
That's what I thought too but so far so good. Running first full tank of gas using the intake and so far does seem to be I little better mpg based on truck computer. Sound is a little better too. As far as any gains I couldn't really say. Claims are only 10 hp and my butt is that finely tuned to say if it's actually there. However sure doesn't seem to have lost anything at all so even if only a gain in mpg I'm happy with it.

onebadtwo

Reaction score
Anybody running the Airaid Junior kit yet? Im not really looking for a much more performance, Id like it to make a little more noise though... Is there anyone else that makes a tube that connects to the factory airbox?
Thanks

hopVIP

Reaction score
Anybody ever use the S&B Cold Air Intakes on previous vehicles? Any thoughts on it?
I put one on my '01 2500 5.9 Cummins and it is amazing. Huge huge increase in airflow, very tight seal for a fully enclosed/sealed box and the filter was humungous. It blocked all the heat, drew in tons of fresh air and S&B always shows higher performance numbers. My truck has a bigger turbo and the S&B intake worked awesome with it. Response was greater, high end was noticeably more powerful and mileage went up 2 to 3 mpg. I love S&B and want one for my new 2020 1500.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody running the Airaid Junior kit yet? Im not really looking for a much more performance, Id like it to make a little more noise though... Is there anyone else that makes a tube that connects to the factory airbox?
Thanks
I hear ya there on the JR. I want the tube myself. Factory one has what looks to be a last second design. As the 4th gens box to throttle body tube has a more efficient design imo. I just can’t justify the price tho. For not much more you can get a whole kit. Specially after I’ve bought a drop in already.

aametzger

Reaction score
I just installed the S&B on my 2019 limited tonight. I took a quick run around the block, and it seems more opened up and seemed to rev higher, but maybe that was a combo of the computer reset due to unplugging the battery, and maybe my foot was heavier on my test drive (likely the 2nd one ;) ). Two things I ran into though. One, I couldn't seem to get the CCV hose to go on all the way and snap over the lip like the stock one does. The inlet tube is noticeably larger in diameter than the stock one so that could be the cause. Did anyone else have that issue? It's on there tight, so it's not coming off, but it bugs me that it didn't lock into place. Second, the logo on the clear Plexi cover has a tan circle around it rather than just the logo on clear. I was trying to see how I could peel it off but it seems like it's supposed to be that way. It doesn't look nearly as nice as all the advertisement pics. It almost seems like they redesigned to prevent the logo from peeling off or something. Anyone else get one recently that is like that?

CharlieP

Reaction score
Thanks
I have the Airaid Jr. Installed and you can really hear the Air moving when you are on the Throttle

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a CAI and would love to hear more opinions.
I am looking for more HP and sound, in that order.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a CAI and would love to hear more opinions.
I am looking for more HP and sound, in that order.
If you are looking for more HP, that you can actually feel, then a CAI is NOT what you want. You will get more sound ;)

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
I have read that several have showed a 3 HP increase. This is fine for me.
The sound is another big part.

Users who are viewing this thread