5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto collision braking v. Deer! It works!

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was driving home tonight and I had the max distance adaptive cruise on at 60 mph and a family of deer ran out on the road about 75-100 yards in front of me. With seeing my headlights some of the deer stopped in the middle of the road. Without this system I am sure I would have had a cluster **** mess with my front end. My old and bad eyes suck and the system triggered in alerting me to quickly slam the brakes hard once the auto braking triggered. I was freaked out because I was just cruising along. I just narrowly missed hitting those deer by 5 ft.

Of course, I came to a complete stop and a couple of deer were just staring at me like I was the crazy one, lol. I'd be curious if others have had the same success with this system. I was always thinking it was intuitive for just vehicles or large barriers. I never knew it could prevent what I encountered.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was driving home tonight and I had the max distance adaptive cruise on at 60 mph and a family of deer ran out on the road about 75-100 yards in front of me. With seeing my headlights some of the deer stopped in the middle of the road. Without this system I am sure I would have had a cluster **** mess with my front end. My old and bad eyes suck and the system triggered in alerting me to quickly slam the brakes hard once the auto braking triggered. I was freaked out because I was just cruising along. I just narrowly missed hitting those deer by 5 ft.

Of course, I came to a complete stop and a couple of deer were just staring at me like I was the crazy one, lol. I'd be curious if others have had the same success with this system. I was always thinking it was intuitive for just vehicles or large barriers. I never knew it could prevent what I encountered.

Congratulations on avoiding an accident, that's very cool.

Until I read your post, it had not occurred to me what a surprise it would be if the collision-avoidance braking triggered automatically, especially if it detects the threat before we humans do. But that surely would be a shock.

I think when I finally get my new Ram 1500, I'll keep a spare pair of clean undies in the Ram Bin in the rear floor for just such occasions ;-)

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on avoiding an accident, that's very cool.

Until I read your post, it had not occurred to me what a surprise it would be if the collision-avoidance braking triggered automatically, especially if it detects the threat before we humans do. But that surely would be a shock.

I think when I finally get my new Ram 1500, I'll keep a spare pair of clean undies in the Ram Bin in the rear floor for just such occasions ;-)

I almost sh%t in my pants, my man! lol I'm still a little shaken. I"m really glad I didn't have my wife and kid in the truck. They would be blaming me for not seeing the running herd that far ahead and slowly braking to a stop... I have to think this happens to a lot of guys driving with the helicopter family relaxing in the truck and you have to brake hard to avoid something

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Wow, that’s a neat story. In my 2014 Durango which had the same system a car blew a stop sign and I was just cruising along and the Durango started stopping before I could even move my foot to the brake and avoided the crash. I am a believer in the system. At that time I didn’t even have ACC activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundralag

Reaction score
Glad it worked..
If I could figure out a cow catcher front end that sent the speed beef right to my bed... then I would be set for Venison..
Not so much in Texas but when I go home to PA.. Damn deer are everywhere.. except during hunting season..

Neokane

Reaction score
I wonder if it would have the same outcome if it was just one deer instead of a few.
Glad it worked for you!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the braking is violent and aggressive. In my Jeep SRT it saved my butt a few times. I had a 2016 that was totalled on the highway. A tow truck stopped in the middle lane and decided to try and come over to get to a car (with no lights on). The automatic braking was braking before I could even react. It definitely helped to save my ***. The truck pulled out only about a hundred feet in front of me so there wasn't enough room to stop but it surely helped.

Attachments

• 20180105_150547.jpg
    20180105_150547.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 81

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a neat story. In my 2014 Durango which had the same system a car blew a stop sign and I was just cruising along and the Durango started stopping before I could even move my foot to the brake and avoided the crash. I am a believer in the system. At that time I didn’t even have ACC activated.

The collision-avoidance braking is separate from the adaptive cruise control.

westcoast

Reaction score
Guarantee this Is going to be standard on all vehicles within a few years

And it should be. Lives saved and the insurance industry will saves hundreds of millions

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you were able to not hurt anything (deer, truck, yourself)!!
So you had to hit the brakes, or did the rig already start stopping for you?
I know my new rig also has all those safety features - I should read up on them and start using them :)

My R/T didn't have it and as I was headed home to Indiana to visit family, about 5 mins into my trip going through Iowa, I was like whoa, I see eyeballs so I started moving to the left lane a bit .. WHOA! the tail of another!!! .. all I could do was close my eyes and hope for the best as I tried to guide between the two and mash the throttle. (they say less damage if you actually hit one instead of smashing the brakes - glad I've never had to find out the hard way myself).

Reactions: Jtr

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son only uses the warning feature vs the actual braking, he feels its hard to fully trust the tech until its gotten more time. The false positives are concerning to him. I don’t have the level 1 group (Limited) so its “dumb braking” for me.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son only uses the warning feature vs the actual braking, he feels its hard to fully trust the tech until its gotten more time. The false positives are concerning to him. I don’t have the level 1 group (Limited) so its “dumb braking” for me.

Sorta like when backing up in a driveway and the truck stops because it sees a bug fly past the camera :)
-- already happened to me .. I was hoping the RAM had adjustable sensitivity like my Durango did :(

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd rather still have it on. Worst case scenario it comes on a little early. It's a back up for the times you aren't paying attention or something quick happens. See my above post for why I love it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'd rather still have it on. Worst case scenario it comes on a little early. It's a back up for the times you aren't paying attention or something quick happens. See my above post for why I love it.
Yep. Agree fully, and the reason mine is always on, and totally worth it even if annoying at times.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear the system saved you. I guess my only concern would be the system does not know what's going on behind you or road conditions. As a driver if you do see the deer you can decide whether to slam on the brakes or maybe just moderate braking depending on the circumstances. Maybe their is an 18 wheeler barreling down behind you and slamming on the brakes will cause a much worse accident.

Last edited:

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Yea, I’m still not turning that crap on. It warns me half the time I’m driving and some genius decides to make a last minute turn. I’d be pissed if it actually slammed on the brakes (not to mention I’d likely have several cars run into me). Glad it saved you though.. I’d have a bunch of venison and a ruined truck.

My wipers turn on during the day when the windshield is clean, there’s a post on here from someone who’s brakes decided to do the same out of nowhere.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yea, I’m still not turning that crap on. It warns me half the time I’m driving and some genius decides to make a last minute turn. I’d be pissed if it actually slammed on the brakes (not to mention I’d likely have several cars run into me). Glad it saved you though.. I’d have a bunch of venison and a ruined truck.

My wipers turn on during the day when the windshield is clean, there’s a post on here from someone who’s brakes decided to do the same out of nowhere.

You can adjust at what distance this happens, and if some genius decides to make a last minute turn and the system still warns you, sorry, but you are following too close.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
I’ve seen so many deer on the sides of the road in North Carolina and Virginia these past two months—more than I have during the last 10 years. I know it might just be coincidence but I doubt it. They all look the same so someone might be cloning deer

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, just adjust it to the lowest sensitivity and you won't have an issue. In 4 years I've never had an issue with a false warning on either of my Jeeps or the Ram. Better get used to the technology, it's mandatory starting in a few years.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you were able to not hurt anything (deer, truck, yourself)!!
So you had to hit the brakes, or did the rig already start stopping for you?
Thanks, man. The system starting braking first and then I hit the brakes. It was that initial system brake that alerted me and then I took the control. Because it was such a close call to hitting them, I'm awarding that early warning braking as the reason for the collision avoidance. Without that, I don't think I would have had time to completely stop.

Users who are viewing this thread