5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You’ll laugh at this

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I purchased a 19’ Limited in April. No, this isn’t a whine about missing the June rebates. I’ve already had cheese with my whine over that.
I let my son and DIL drive/ride in the truck and they liked it so much they bought one in June. Good for them, they even got more options than I did and paid 10K less.

Fast forward to last week, the 2 trucks are parked side by side, not exactly aligned but close. My son looks puzzled and says to me, “My truck looks longer than yours”.
I replied, “Can’t be”.

So out comes the measuring tape. Sure enough, he has the longer bed, I have the short bed (both are crew cabs).
He didn't know that he bought the long bed version. o_O

I said, “Well, it should have been on the window sticker somewhere.”
He gets his sticker out, nothing is listed about bed length. Curious, I got mine out and sure enough, nothing is shown for bed length.:unsure:

He’s fortunate that his new house garage is extra deep or it wouldn’t have fit. Mine fits by 2”...

So where does it say the bed length if you are new to trucks and don’t know about those things?
The sales literature online says the Limited crew cab comes standard with the 5’7 and the 6’4 is an option. That option isn’t listed on his window sticker.

PS: I’m 5’7” tall and wasn’t aware there was an option to be 6’4” either. Too bad I missed out on that as well! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Repsol69

Reaction score
Yes this is funny. your right the sticker does NOT state the size of the bed...i did the same thing with my 2017 ...told the salesman ( I think they pulled a fast one on us )..i was looking for a Short bed we were going from a Black 2013 Ram short bed to a White 2017 ...My wife kept saying it looks bigger but i told her thats because its White..LOL..plus i was looking the the rear bumper to wheel well distance and they were the same....i didn't know at the time that its the front of the bed thats extended....UGH....:mad::cry::oops:....happy to say after 74,000 miles its gone and i'm in a 2019 SHORT BED again..:cool::cool::eek:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can read our thread about this early on, if I get a chance to find it for you I will after a bit.

I then posted the VIN decoder which is about the only way to know...almost as easy as looking at the silly little bit of bed behind the cab, or the more normal size like your sons;):p

My 8 foot bed really stands out as a proper LONG bed lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Found it for ya.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
R

Rob5589

Oops! Once you see a few you can recognize the bed length. FYI; 5.7 is a short bed, 6.4 standard, 8 is long. Mine was listed in the description, 6.4' bed.

Repsol69

Reaction score
Oops! Once you see a few you can recognize the bed length. FYI; 5.7 is a short bed, 6.4 standard, 8 is long. Mine was listed in the description, 6.4' bed.

Lol believe me that will never happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks for the threads and the Vin decoder links. Like I said, it doesn’t matter to him because his garage can accommodate the truck and I got the right one for my short garage. It’s just interesting that the window sticker doesn’t say anything about it anymore.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh, heres my 5’7 in the garage, note the clearance (or lack of) in this new construction track house (std double car):

Attachments

• C69F1C4F-174A-4EAA-8A99-2899E414548B.jpeg
    C69F1C4F-174A-4EAA-8A99-2899E414548B.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 8D25281A-9193-470C-8722-612A01E04B72.jpeg
    8D25281A-9193-470C-8722-612A01E04B72.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 89

Turin

Reaction score
Oh, heres my 5’7 in the garage, note the clearance (or lack of) in this new construction track house (std double car):
Yup, mine fits the same way; 2-3" of clearance on either end. If I left the hitch in the receiver I wouldn't be able to close the garage. I also have to tuck the nose around the steps leading into the house; I have maybe 3" of room there before I'm too far to the other side and risk catching the side of the garage opening when backing out again. Folding in the mirrors helps but it's still snug. And of course it's not a straight shot in/out; I have to slip it to the side a little. I love my truck but it fits in the garage like a fat cat in a shoebox.

Knowing that parking would be delicate I made sure to get the surround camera. That combined with a couple of cheap hacks make getting in/out of the garage much easier:
  1. I bought a pool noodle and tacked it to the wall at bumper height. The angle of the front camera is such that the leading edge of the noodle reaches the bottom of the screen just as the bumper reaches it. Alternately, go a bit farther and you can also see the noodle start to compress.
  2. I put a strip of blue painter's tape (maybe 3' long) on the floor where I want the center of the truck to be. I line that up with the center of the ///\\\ marks on the top-down view to start my approach and then use the front view to keep the strip centered on the ^ mark of the the icon for the wide-angle front view (which is conveniently centered on the screen).
More importantly than making parking easier, this approach has made it relatively foolproof. There's less chance of me misjudging (because I'm tired, complacent, in a hurry, etc.) and damaging my truck and/or house.

U

User_6565

1. I put a strip of blue painter's tape (maybe 3' long) on the floor where I want the center of the truck to be. I line that up with the center of the ///\\\ marks on the top-down view to start my approach and then use the front view to keep the strip centered on the ^ mark of the the icon for the wide-angle front view (which is conveniently centered on the screen).

I also put down a strip of blue painters tape so that when I am backing into my garage, I keep the rear view center line on the blue tape the whole time (with mirrors folded in, of course).

shaveman

Reaction score
I purchased a 19’ Limited in April. No, this isn’t a whine about missing the June rebates. I’ve already had cheese with my whine over that.
I let my son and DIL drive/ride in the truck and they liked it so much they bought one in June. Good for them, they even got more options than I did and paid 10K less.
I know it's a little off topic, but just so you know you aren't the only one, I missed out on big rebates too! The dealer did quite well by me.

aalvarado76006

Reaction score
Good resources right there

I made sure I got my build sheet. My dealer didn’t know what I was talking about so I did the research on my own. Here is my build sheet but replace my vin with yours in the search bar and it will pull up your specific truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the resource link, comes in handy when the dealer missed things on the factory order.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You guys are very precise.
I just drive until the forward proximity sensir screams “stop you bloody idiot” and the 1” polystyrene squashes.

Turin

Reaction score
I just drive until the forward proximity sensir screams “stop you bloody idiot” and the 1” polystyrene squashes.
Heh, if I stopped when the sensor panicked I'd still have my rear bumper hanging out of the garage. It didn't take long for me to get tired of the guesswork of "red alert + a few more inches." The squishy noodle works great for front to back but after a couple of instances where I got out of the truck and found that I'd nearly taken out the steps — and one where my side step rubbed the seal on the garage door frame while backing out — I decided that I needed something to help with the left/right alignment.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one with a big ugly sheet of siding insulating foam at the front of my garage. I also use the squishing foam to know where to stop. It leaves me less than 2 inches of clearance from the door to the rear bumper.

stembone

Reaction score
I'm guilty of this same thing. Had a 14 quad cab with a 6.4 bed. When buying my 19 crew cab I never thought to look at the bed size. After ordering my bed liner from AandA they had me pull to the loading dock where we tossed it in the truck. Guy said hey buddy that's the wrong size, I said, well then someone didnt order a 5.7 liner. Turned out I was the idiot. We measured it... 6.4

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yeah, that sure could be a big shock to bring a 6’4” bed truck home and it doesn’t fit into your garage! Fortunately my son had an extra deep section for a workshop, another 6 feet, but he wasn’t pleased to have to park the truck on that side.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that sure could be a big shock to bring a 6’4” bed truck home and it doesn’t fit into your garage! Fortunately my son had an extra deep section for a workshop, another 6 feet, but he wasn’t pleased to have to park the truck on that side.

That's like my garage. I have to park on one side in order to be able to open the door from the house to the garage if I have the truck in there. So that side is my wife's side of the garage, and the other side is mine; if I have the truck in there it intrudes into the workshop area. Usually though I keep my Miata parked in the garage, which takes up hardly more room than a bicycle :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread