5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20" to 18" tire swap

GregW68

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped from stock 20" to stock 18" rims? I have a 2019 with 20" chrome rims that I would like to swap to 18" painted rims. I have found a set of take offs locally for a really good price. Will the speedometer adjust correctly or will I have to get something re-programmed if I go to the smaller tires?

Thanks,

greg

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped from stock 20" to stock 18" rims? I have a 2019 with 20" chrome rims that I would like to swap to 18" painted rims. I have found a set of take offs locally for a really good price. Will the speedometer adjust correctly or will I have to get something re-programmed if I go to the smaller tires?

Thanks,

greg

Welcome to the forums! The wheel size will not affect your speedometer, the overall tire size will. As long as the overall tire diameter is the same, you won't have to re calibrate anything. If you use the factory size tires for the 18" wheels, you should be fine.

upstech76

Reaction score
As Riccnick stated, its the overall dimension of the tire that will determine the accuracy of the speedometer. Not sure where you are located but if near Memphis, I'll make you a great deal on a set of 18" takeoffs with only ~2000 miles on them.

swarggs

Reaction score
I have a feeling people are going to be throwing OEM 18s at you on this thread.

And by people, I mean me. Located in NE Pennsylvania with Laramie 18s.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

GregW68

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The tire sizes are 275/65r18 and 275/55r20. Thanks for the tire offers as well but the set locally (NC) is a really good deal.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see anyone else that actually has a preference toward 18" tires besides me. My last 2 Rams had 20" wheels, when looking for a 2019 I specifically wanted 18" wheels for a change. I really like the nicer ride.

dsn112

Reaction score
i Went down from chrome 20s to rebel 18s and my speedo is slow by about 3mph.

swarggs

Reaction score
i Went down from chrome 20s to rebel 18s and my speedo is slow by about 3mph.

That is because Rebel 18's come with 275 70 18, not the standard 275 65 18. You increased your diameter by about an inch (presuming you have the stock Rebel tires). OP will not have that issue.

Raydar

Reaction score
I swapped from the stock 18s to the cladded 20s. Based Upon the GPS that is built into Waze, my speedo is well within spec. Yours should be the same.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s funny as I’ve been all over size 18” tires wise. Now the wife’s truck sits on 20” wheels with 275/55 AT tires as of today.

Reactions: A10

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
I have the P275 55r20 on 20 inch wheels, but am really wanting to go ahead to the 18 inch wheels for more cushion and ride comfort. I thought about just changing to P275 60r20, but not sure that would be enough. Problem is not alot of choices in the 18 inch wheels as for as selection goes.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^^. Where are you located, as you can try my 18” wheels and see if that’s the comfort that you are seeking.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Crap I’m in New Jersey or else I would have no problem with you trying mine out for size...

R

Rob5589

I'm surprised to see anyone else that actually has a preference toward 18" tires besides me. My last 2 Rams had 20" wheels, when looking for a 2019 I specifically wanted 18" wheels for a change. I really like the nicer ride.
Same here. Mine will be spending a lot of time off road come hunting season and I can say from experience, more sidewall is better off road. Can air down further, better flexibility over rocks, better compliance over rough spots, better wheel protection.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Same here. Mine will be spending a lot of time off road come hunting season and I can say from experience, more sidewall is better off road. Can air down further, better flexibility over rocks, better compliance over rough spots, better wheel protection.
True, and here in PA we have the pothole issue also, although I have only ever bent one rim from a pothole and that was a 17" Cadillac wheel.

rraulston

Reaction score
I just did this swap on Saturday. Traded my 20s for the 18s. The front brake caliper is 2mm from the rim and I have no issues. 150 miles on the swap and I believe I got 1 MPG out of it. I just like plain wheels. I am pre- Bling Bling. My 20s felt firmer on the ground and the 18s feel softer. The 18s seem to follow the ruts in the road a bit more. The 18s also have Goodyear tires. The 20s had Bridgestone's. I can now have these powder coated black in the future. I would do it again. I have seen all these sets go for 600-800 in my area. The 22 Sports are bringing 1200. I likes those as well. I just need symmetrical spokes. No flaired crap. Hope this helps....

Users who are viewing this thread