5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But there's still that big 'ol front window heating up the cab. :) I always wondered if tinting the side windows would help. It's very noticeable?

Thanks

Matt

You can always tint the windshield as well. Many do it legally with almost no darkening of the shield but will keep heat out.

Biscuitz23

Reaction score
But there's still that big 'ol front window heating up the cab. :) I always wondered if tinting the side windows would help. It's very noticeable?

Thanks

Matt

Tinting the side windows does help a little bit. I got mine ceramic tinted on the side and it helps but of course that big windshield that is also the problem. For me, if the sun is shining from the side than I do notice the heat isn't as bad but if I'm facing it then.... still hot as hell. You can get the windshield "clear" tinted for around $200ish I think. It's called Air 80 I believe. I was thinking about doing that but the cheaper alternative is just to use a sun shade lol.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Added the Mopar Side Window Air Deflectors. PN 82215478 Tired of the rain rolling into the drivers side door if I crack the window.

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
Here you go. I just did mine a few min ago.

It takes literally 10 min to do the swap (8 of those was figuring out how to pop the clear covers w/o damaging them). Basically, you need a real thin non-marring pry tool, and pry on either vertical edge. Pops right out. Once out, I waited until the lights went out after turning ignition off, and then swapped them out.

Ensure you check they light up before putting the covers back on. If not, flip them 180 deg and it will fix it (had to do that on the last one I put in).

Third pic shows the difference between filament bulb and LED. Night and day...

View attachment 30026 View attachment 30027 View attachment 30028 View attachment 30030 View attachment 30031
Cheers,
Did you get the 16 or 24 Lumens?

kblast523

Reaction score

Thanks

Matt
YES! Mine 'installed by dealer' 3M 40% tint with factory rear window and rear side tint, and it does make a difference, glare and heat reduced by multiples. After driving several vehicles lacking tint it is amazing everyone doesn't tint. One of my neighbors has a 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel that is silver with black interior, only rear cab window it tinted and is always complaining about how hot his vehicle is even with A/C on. His wife complains that her white Escape with black interior is hot if left sitting in the sun and A/C seems undersized. He rode in my 2019 Maximum Steel (almost black) Quad and attributed the comfort level to the shorter body, not the tint. I've tinted every car I've owned since 1985....worth it.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks

Matt

I don't know what, if any, the stock factory window tinting does to block Infrared. I think the factory glass probably blocks 99% of UV. The front glass and front side windows are clear or nearly so, and the back side windows and back window are blocking around 80% of visible light.

But, I don't know if ANY of them block any amount of Infrared, and infrared light is heat.

Tint films that you get put on can block some amount of infrared. The ceramic film I just got only blocks 50% of visible light on the front and 70% in the back, but it blocks 80% of infrared (front and back). If you want to keep heat out, I think a ceramic film is the way to go, even if you get something practically clear, so it doesn't effect your visible light.

If VA didn't have state inspection stickers that have to be on the windshield, I would have gotten the clear ceramic film for the windshield, too.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what, if any, the stock factory window tinting does to block Infrared. I think the factory glass probably blocks 99% of UV. The front glass and front side windows are clear or nearly so, and the back side windows and back window are blocking around 80% of visible light.

But, I don't know if ANY of them block any amount of Infrared, and infrared light is heat.

Tint films that you get put on can block some amount of infrared. The ceramic film I just got only blocks 50% of visible light on the front and 70% in the back, but it blocks 80% of infrared (front and back). If you want to keep heat out, I think a ceramic film is the way to go, even if you get something practically clear, so it doesn't effect your visible light.

If VA didn't have state inspection stickers that have to be on the windshield, I would have gotten the clear ceramic film for the windshield, too.

Get your front tinted! We have to have the same and I've got an EZtag in the front window too. You just stick those on static cling cell phone screen protectors, cut to size, and stick them on your tinted windshield. Done.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get your front tinted! We have to have the same and I've got an EZtag in the front window too. You just stick those on static cling cell phone screen protectors, cut to size, and stick them on your tinted windshield. Done.
I appreciate the concept (and solution for tags and stickers), but I’d be concerned about rainbow effects. I take it you don’t have polarized lenses in your sunglasses?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate the concept (and solution for tags and stickers), but I’d be concerned about rainbow effects. I take it you don’t have polarized lenses in your sunglasses?

I do and it does happen to some cars. I'll take it because there is a noticeable difference in heat coming through the windshield plus the UV protection for the dash.

wetrock71

Reaction score
Tinted the all the way round and a Retrax bed cover. Doesn't need much more than that.

Attachments

• 20190630_153531.jpg
    20190630_153531.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 20190712_175118.jpg
    20190712_175118.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190714_113143.jpg
    20190714_113143.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 191

RTGoodnight

Reaction score
Installed a dash cam. Looking into hard wiring it in a few weeks.

Attachments

• CAAE4594-2C39-48C8-BC68-FEFD5CBC17A5.jpeg
    CAAE4594-2C39-48C8-BC68-FEFD5CBC17A5.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 2932563A-539F-49C7-B76E-85EFDE5DB377.jpeg
    2932563A-539F-49C7-B76E-85EFDE5DB377.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 150

dandar

Reaction score
What percentages did you use? Mine goes in tomorrow and I still haven't decided.

I had my fronts tinted with 20% and it's just slightly darker than the back. They (tint place I went to) said the back is at 17-18% so the front must be somewhere around 5% from the factory for it to be darker now.

Ps. Don't go with 3M color stable. I have it on mine and can't wait to replace it with something else. The foggy/haze look from heat rejecting particles in the film is distracting and the color of the tint is different from the stock. I'll replace it with 25-30% film that is more on the brown color spectrum to more closely match the back.

Landon G

Reaction score
Installed a temporary custom bedliner, I used SwissTrax floor tiles. Really liking how it turned out so i may leave it then get a spray in at the end of summer. As you can see i have some pieces to cut to fill in the gaps. They are a 15.75”x15.75” that all clip together. 038FFEEE-1B37-4A7E-9C40-E3A563C8C96C.jpeg 7FB78EB2-0760-4FFF-8BBF-C4D4C706E972.jpeg E500FC6B-19CC-4EB6-817A-DB8AD003ABE9.jpeg 5B8910DB-FD42-485D-85B5-20C9B47B9349.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread