5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floor Jack - Which to buy

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I lied I have a 4 ton with the 12ton stands
6ec1fb7a124b97bda4a0183156e7f95c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbitaPro

Reaction score
So what kind of floor jack do I need jack up my truck? I see 1.5, 3 and 4 ton jacks. Also, how safe is it to buy one of those Pittsburgh brands from Harbor Freight. They advertise a 3 ton rapid rise jack for just $99. For the casual person looking to jack up tires, etc. is that ok?

I bought HF Daytona Model, for a few dollars more, it’s heavy duty

Tom488

Reaction score
Could I use this instead of Jack stands to life each side of the truck to rotate tires or work under one side of the truck?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. You NEVER work under a truck without adequate safety stands. Hydraulic jacks can, and will, fail at the most inopportune time. That's a pretty dumb way to lose your life.

To change a tire, in a pinch? Okay - doable. To put your body between the truck and the ground? No way in hell.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the HF 12 ton bottlejack with the air line. It's heavy but it'll lift anything. I also have one in my RV and it is amazing. Lifted the entire rear end of my RV when I blew 2 tires within 20 miles of each other ( first one that went sent metal into other tire ). I took off one dual and swapped it over to the other side and ran single tire on each. Limped to MIL house, stole her car and 2 hours later had new tires mounted and back on.

That bottle jack and an electric 1/2 impact are the best investments ever. I have a roadside policy, but the many hour waits on the side of the road for them to send someone completely unprepared and then wait longer for tires just isn't worth it.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i use a hf 4 ton. in the house and keep a 12 ton bottle jack in the bin behind driver seat cause sometimes i have trailers i keep a pair of 12ton stands also because those usually have the lock systems

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another harbor freight vote here. Yes there is better. I am not running a repair shop. If I was I might raise the bar a bit. The HF jack works fine for me. Same with stands. 12 ton seems a bit much but whatever floats your boat. You have to realize that 12 tons would crush your little pickup so don't fantasize about working on it with a 10 ton payload.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another harbor freight vote here. Yes there is better. I am not running a repair shop. If I was I might raise the bar a bit. The HF jack works fine for me. Same with stands. 12 ton seems a bit much but whatever floats your boat. You have to realize that 12 tons would crush your little pickup so don't fantasize about working on it with a 10 ton payload.
true but i got my 12tons for nothing i got them for like 25 bucks on fb marketplace

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the infrequent use at my house, I’m using the harbor freight 3 ton steel jack for the truck and an aluminum harbor freight quick jack for the cars.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my HF jack for at least 15 years...probably pushing 20...and it still works great. It's heavy as hell, but never leaves the garage, and it lifts the RAM quite easily. Sticking with it cuz why not?

However, I'm under no illusion that HF is the best, of anything. I'm also under no illusion that if you go buy a similarly priced jack, or anything, from Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Autozone, etc etc that there is any significant difference. Likely, they all buy from the same factories in China. Point is, they work well enough for most of us at a pleasing price point. I figure I'll go get another one soon, as this one has been slowly leaking hydraulic fluid for a few years (I ALWAYS use jackstands, cuz I know I'm in the danger zone)

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yamie700

Reaction score
I have that HF Daytona long reach 3 ton jack in the post above. I highly recommend getting the long reach, it has been great when working on my truck with a 2" level and 35" tires. It takes using all of that long reach to get tires off the ground depending on the jack point, I don't have to use a hockey puck or wood block in between the jack and truck. I likely would if it was regular reach.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, those look pretty good. I like the double lock. Do you use only two or four? Been YEARS since I rotated tires but thinking about taking it on again on the new truck. Thinking tire rotation would be much easier raising the entire truck but pretty daunting raising the entire truck even with quality jack stands!
I use two in the back, lift each front corner one at the time while rotating tires. Those stands are stout.

Users who are viewing this thread