5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hanging plastic line protector under truck

Jstadick

Reaction score
Had a guy stop me in the parking lot this morning to tell me I had something hanging under my truck. Crawled under and on the driver side, right about where the drivers door is, along the frame rail, there is a group of lines/wires and a long plastic cover/protector that just snaps closed around the lines. We'll it had come unsnapped and about two feet of the cover was hanging and dragging under the truck. I happened to be at Home Depot and just bought some zip ties and secured it back in place. Not exactly sure what the lines are (it's raining a little here in the carolinas so I didn't spend much time looking), but thought you folks may want to check your trucks. The little snaps are pretty flimsy and I doubt mine will be the only one to fail.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Didn't someone on the forum post a picture a few days ago of a 2019 with something hanging down and dragging under it?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Didn't someone on the forum post a picture a few days ago of a 2019 with something hanging down and dragging under it?

Yes I saw that. Sounds about in same location. Pic wasn't too clear though.

Jstadick

Reaction score

I thought the same thing but I couldn't find that thread when I posted this, but I did later. Here is that post:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/following-new-ram.2047/#post-30013

It stopped raining long enough for me to take a couple of pictures. The piece is about here (1st pic) at the drivers door and then a pic of the offending piece of plastic.

You'll see the zip ties I added temporarily until I can get it on the lift and really see what the problem is with it.

Attachments

• 20180915_171205_resized.jpg
    20180915_171205_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 423
  • 20180915_171324_resized.jpg
    20180915_171324_resized.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 433

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Looks like where they route all the lines in that plastic piece and it broke its clips. Zip ties are probably stronger that the clips;)

jdubc72

Reaction score
I just noticed this happened to my 2 week old 1500 too. Right now I have it zip tied to the cables its supposed to be protecting. Ill make an appointment so the dealer can make note and fix.

davis2885

Reaction score
Looks like fuel lines. Probably the cover to keep them from taking road debris damage. You hit anything recently that could have broken the cover?

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
They are the fuel lines it happened to me when I was driving the truck through a field to bring corm up to a feeder. A co-worker had it happen to him also, he believes when he hit a large puddle on the Highway. The clips holding it shut suck .

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
They are the fuel lines it happened to me when I was driving the truck through a field to bring corm up to a feeder. A co-worker had it happen to him also, he believes when he hit a large puddle on the Highway. The clips holding it shut suck .
Just had this happen on my ram too. Only thing I drove through was some rain... Everyone just zip tied this back up? Did anyone bring it up to the dealer?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
This happened to me too. I noticed it when I had only 200 miles on my truck. I'm now at 12,000
So did you just zip tie yours back up? I’m at 5k and it just happened today at some point as I just drove my truck 7 hours from DFW to Kansas.

thomaswoodbury11

Reaction score
Somebody pointed mine out today but it looks mine may be leaking something, has anybody tried turning it into dodge

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Somebody pointed mine out today but it looks mine may be leaking something, has anybody tried turning it into dodge
I did not, I just snapped mine back up. If it is leaking something that is bad since it covers the fuel lines.

Tracker330

Reaction score
Had this happen to my Bighorn took it to the dealer and they replaced it no more issue yet and on my Laramie I haven't had the first problem

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
So walked out today and immediately notice that it was once again hanging down. Snapped it back up, I guess it is time to have Ram fix it under warranty.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm working out in W Texas and travel the lease roads every day. I'm sure it will happen. Will put a couple of zip ties on it before I head out.

Users who are viewing this thread