5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neglectful owner.

timtlu

Reaction score
It's been 3 weeks now since I brought my new pride and joy home. I've never had anything in my life close to as nice. I mean that; and I'm married with 3 kids. That being said, after keeping tabs on these forums for the same amount of time, I was pretty certain child protective services was going to show up any day and take her away from me, as I hadn't yet washed her. I had plans on running her through the car wash weekly, and then I found out about "the swirls". Oh the humanity. Can we not figure out some type of vaccine for that? I've been paralyzed with fear since then to touch her the wrong way. I mean, I could have made the dirt worse. And what about the plastic trim!? For the last three weeks I've been hunting shady spots to park in just to keep the damn sun off of her. It's hard being a new owner, I tell you.

That being said, I finally got up the courage to buy some 303 soap and protectant along with a wash mitt, some new microfiber and waffle weave towels. After getting the pesky human kids to bed (always taking me away from my new pride and joy) I set to work with about 30 minutes until sunset. After all, I live in south Texas and it's too hot to do anything until....well ever, actually. But you take what you get, I guess. If it wasn't now, it wasn't ever going to happen. I couldn't wake up another night in a cold sweat, panicked that CPS had broken into the garage and stole her in the middle of the night.

All that being said, washing this thing is a chore. I just pelt the human folk with a spray hose on the back porch and tell em to spin in a circle 20 times. Let me just say 30 minutes until sunset did not end up being enough time! Heck, by the time I got a portion wet to soap it up, the dang heat had already dried it back up. I spent the first 10 minutes just walking around it rinsing the previous dried rinse from the last pass. And I have no idea how you possibly wash one of these things without side steps. I fear what the top half of the truck would have looked like had I not installed the power running boards. And I'm 6'3" for goodness sake. But, there was no going back, so wash I did. And the end result? Hell if I know. The last 30 minutes finishing up it was just about pitch black already. I'll have to wait until the morning to see it in the light, but at least I'll sleep well tonight knowing my neglect has at least temporarily been accounted for.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its not CPS, its RPS (RAM Protective Services). Don’t worry, you are now squarely on their radar.

South Tx? Huh, the seagulls should be orbiting soon enough... “Hey Vern, lookit here, a newly washed black RAM. Lets dive bomb it!”

From 50 yards on a night with no moon, every truck looks good.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was worried about how this story would play out when I read these two sentences together :ROFLMAO:
I've never had anything in my life close to as nice. I mean that; and I'm married with 3 kids.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain.... I am probably going to get banished because I am that guy who gets the swirls..... and then Hybrid Ceramic waxes them quickly. :whistle:

timtlu

Reaction score
Did you MEAN for the second sentence to be an explanation for the first? 'Cause that's how I took it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Haha. After writing it, I really liked how it could be interpreted in both directions!

Need some shine on those tires....

Agree. It was hard to tell in the dark how much shine I was getting. The tires were the last thing I did. I also wasn't sure exactly what to use. For better or worse, I sprayed them with 303 protectant (the same stuff I used to keep all the black plastic trim shiny) and wiped them down.

timtlu

Reaction score
Hey man you did a good job! Can you swing by Tennessee and clean mine up too? :D

Thanks. There was probably a more efficient way to do it. I used the two bucket method, which really was no more work than using one bucket in my opinion. I didn't get crazy with it, but the rinse bucket water was definately much nastier than the soap water. Main problem I ran into was after washing an area I would have to go back and rinse every section of the truck I'd washed to that point to keep it from drying out. I'm guessing just the heat down here. By the time I got to the end, it was: wash rear quarter panel, literally rinse entire truck other than tailgate, wash tailgate, rinse entire truck again, furiously dry as fast as I could.

For anyone with the power running boards who ends up washing themselves, wash the underside. I washed the tops nice since they had all kinds of muddy water spots on them, but didn't think about the underside is what shows when they are stowed.

Users who are viewing this thread