5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered the rear 2" last night.

Firebird

Reaction score
My son and I plan on installing them, we are both reasonably mechanical, so hopefully won't take long

Repsol69

Reaction score
OK, So it seems like the ride quality is the same was just wondering about from the drivers seat how hard is it look over the hood with the rear lower 2"..?? ...Hows the view?? Does it feel like ur sitting to low?? I know the seat does adjust up just don't want to be sitting high in the cab...LOL

chad202

Reaction score
OK, So it seems like the ride quality is the same was just wondering about from the drivers seat how hard is it look over the hood with the rear lower 2"..?? ...Hows the view?? Does it feel like ur sitting to low?? I know the seat does adjust up just don't want to be sitting high in the cab...LOL
The way the Ram is built it's difficult to see over the front the hood without the drop so it's a little worse with the drop. Nothing to worry about though.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
My springs arrive tomorrow. I was talking to a guy who strongly recommended against the rear drop because of the “saggy rear” I’ll get if/when I haul or tow.

Realistically, how much has to be hauled or towed to really impact the rear drop? Most of the time, my added rear weight will be in the bed (household furniture, Jon boat, etc. Nothing crazy). On occasion I may tow a 19-foot ski boat. Again, not real heavy. Are there any issues anyone who has dropped has experienced? Any regrets?

I know the pros are the appearance, easier access to rear bed, better weight distribution, etc.

What are the cons? Slightly worse MPH, harder to gauge front end, inability to tow as much (if this is actually a con), what else?

I don’t want to second guess myself, but as another current thread is alluding to...we turn ourselves into hypochondriacs by reading all these threads about “negative” topics. I may be having some symptoms.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My springs arrive tomorrow. I was talking to a guy who strongly recommended against the rear drop because of the “saggy rear” I’ll get if/when I haul or tow.

Realistically, how much has to be hauled or towed to really impact the rear drop? Most of the time, my added rear weight will be in the bed (household furniture, Jon boat, etc. Nothing crazy). On occasion I may tow a 19-foot ski boat. Again, not real heavy. Are there any issues anyone who has dropped has experienced? Any regrets?

I know the pros are the appearance, easier access to rear bed, better weight distribution, etc.

What are the cons? Slightly worse MPH, harder to gauge front end, inability to tow as much (if this is actually a con), what else?

I don’t want to second guess myself, but as another current thread is alluding to...we turn ourselves into hypochondriacs by reading all these threads about “negative” topics. I may be having some symptoms.
You could possibly find yourself in a few situations where the rear is sagging with what you are describing. Not that big of a deal though. They make some helper air bags that are pretty easy to install that you can use whenever you need to help level the rear back out.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Got it. I’m with you in that it should not be that big of a deal. I presume worst case scenario is that I’m sagging for whatever short tow I’m doing, and then everything levels right back out when I’m empty again. I would have to imagine it’d take a lot of weight or some careless driving to ever bottom out or cause damage to the truck.

I’ve always been an SUV guy, most of the time with auto-leveling, so towing with the truck is a new thing for me (and stock a pretty obvious exercise, but modified a little different).

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got it. I’m with you in that it should not be that big of a deal. I presume worst case scenario is that I’m sagging for whatever short tow I’m doing, and then everything levels right back out when I’m empty again. I would have to imagine it’d take a lot of weight or some careless driving to ever bottom out or cause damage to the truck.

I’ve always been an SUV guy, most of the time with auto-leveling, so towing with the truck is a new thing for me (and stock a pretty obvious exercise, but modified a little different).
You got it, worst case you sag while you tow and when you’re done it will be back to normal. If you find yourself not liking that, get some helper bags and use them during towing. You’re all good.

Hawaii's Finest

Reaction score

Worst case scenario is if you don’t like it, put the stocks back on. The installation is really simple.

chad202

Reaction score

Attachments

• 6A716974-9089-479C-BD7B-93975B1387C0.png
    6A716974-9089-479C-BD7B-93975B1387C0.png
    721.4 KB · Views: 294

Sspearsau

Reaction score
This is what I needed to see. Not bad at all. Totally worth it. Thanks guys!!

Firebird

Reaction score
Got my springs installed today, and I love the stance! Was a very easy install, took all of 45 minutes including digging out and putting up all of the tools. I snapped a quick pic, but will work on getting some better ones as soon as the weather is better. IMG_20190709_105936.jpg IMG_20190709_105910.jpg

chad202

Reaction score
Take a pick of the passenger side for me.

Firebird

Reaction score
Give us a brief ...how to install thx..

Install was fairly easy:
Lift truck with floor jack, place jack stands under the frame just ahead of the lower control arms
Remove rear tires (just makes access much easier and only takes a minute)
Disconnect sway bar end links from the top
Remove bottom bolt on the shocks
With floor jack under the rear diff, you can raise and lower the axle as needed
Lower the axle and pop the springs loose from the bottom with a pry bar, they will then come right out
Install rubber isolator on top of the new springs and just repeat the process in reverse order

It only took about 45 minutes for the entire process, including set up and putting everything away, so it is easily done in your driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread