5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Warlock 5.7/8 speed trans.

Rmcnic

Reaction score
Purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed transmission. Unit has the tow package with the 3.92 rear end. Having a tough time finding the specs and my local dealer that I purchased from is not helpful. Looks like the towing capacity is 10,140 lbs., but finding multiple numbers for truck payload capacity and GCVW. I will be towing a travel trailer with a dry weight of 5,600 lbs. and expect loaded at no more than 7,500. Seem like a reasonable plan?

With respect to payload, I'm getting anything from 1,240 to 1,620 in my searches. With a tongue weight around 700 lbs., does not leave much if the true pl is 1,240 considering passenger weight and some cargo in the box.

Any detail specific to the Warlock edition n will be greatly appreciated!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your payload sticker is right inside your drivers door jamb, and has the tire info on it as well. It will say something like "the weight of all occupants and cargo must not exceed XXX kg or X,XXX lbs"

If you take your vin number and go to https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and press "Lookup my vehicle", you can enter your vin and get the maximum ratings for your trucks configuration. NOTE: This does not mean your exact truck. It means the maximum for a truck with the same cab, engine, box, and rear end ratio as your truck. You have to do some math to determine YOUR trucks maximum towing number. Here's how:

Take the maximum listed payload number from the website
Subtract YOUR trucks payload number from the sticker.
Now take the maximum towing number from the website, and subtract that difference in payload.

Here's how my truck breaks down as an example. I have a Crew Cab, Hemi 5'7" bed, 3.21 rear, Laramie with lots of heavy options:

Website listed max payload for my configuration: 1780
My Door Jamb Sticker Payload: 1451
Difference: 329
Website listed max towing for my configuration: 8150
MY trucks max towing: 8150-359 = 7791

Rmcnic

Reaction score
Your payload sticker is right inside your drivers door jamb, and has the tire info on it as well. It will say something like "the weight of all occupants and cargo must not exceed XXX kg or X,XXX lbs"

If you take your vin number and go to https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and press "Lookup my vehicle", you can enter your vin and get the maximum ratings for your trucks configuration. NOTE: This does not mean your exact truck. It means the maximum for a truck with the same cab, engine, box, and rear end ratio as your truck. You have to do some math to determine YOUR trucks maximum towing number. Here's how:

Take the maximum listed payload number from the website
Subtract YOUR trucks payload number from the sticker.
Now take the maximum towing number from the website, and subtract that difference in payload.

Here's how my truck breaks down as an example. I have a Crew Cab, Hemi 5'7" bed, 3.21 rear, Laramie with lots of heavy options:

Website listed max payload for my configuration: 1780
My Door Jamb Sticker Payload: 1451
Difference: 329
Website listed max towing for my configuration: 8150
MY trucks max towing: 8150-359 = 7791

Very good information and looks like my payload differential is 1,520 - 1,308 = 212 lbs.

Tow capacity at 10,200 - 212 = 9,988 lbs. tow capacity. So a 7,500 gross trailer wt. appears well within limits.

With the 1,308 lb. available sticker payload capacity and 750 lbs. taken by trailer tongue weight, I'll need to manage my truck cargo carefully.

The only other item that eludes me is Gross Combined Vehicle Weight - I've found that particular detail related to other 2019 Ram Classics (not Warlock) online as 17,000 lbs. The corresponding tow capacity on those models is just over 11,000 lbs, so I'd assume I could deduct the 1,000 lbs. (Difference in tow capacity) from the GCVR and assume 16,000 lbs. for my scenario? Not sure where I can locate the actual gross combined weight rating for my Warlock.

Thanks for your help.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very good information and looks like my payload differential is 1,520 - 1,308 = 212 lbs.

Tow capacity at 10,200 - 212 = 9,988 lbs. tow capacity. So a 7,500 gross trailer wt. appears well within limits.

With the 1,308 lb. available sticker payload capacity and 750 lbs. taken by trailer tongue weight, I'll need to manage my truck cargo carefully.

The only other item that eludes me is Gross Combined Vehicle Weight - I've found that particular detail related to other 2019 Ram Classics (not Warlock) online as 17,000 lbs. The corresponding tow capacity on those models is just over 11,000 lbs, so I'd assume I could deduct the 1,000 lbs. (Difference in tow capacity) from the GCVR and assume 16,000 lbs. for my scenario? Not sure where I can locate the actual gross combined weight rating for my Warlock.

Thanks for your help.

Your gross numbers never change. Whatever your GVWR and GCVWR are, that's it. To get the towing and payload numbers, you use the G-weights and subtract the vehicles curb weight, and any additional payload, including passengers and cargo.

According to this chart: https://www.ramtruck.ca/documents/ramtruck/specifications/2019-ramtruck-1500ds-specifications-en.pdf

Your GCWR is 15,975, and your GVWR is 6900.

Your truck weighs roughly 5,592 lbs (GVWR minus payload = curb weight)
Your Max Towing Capacity is 10,383 (GCVWR minus curb weight = Towing Capacity)
Any weight you add to the truck above it's curb weight must come off of that max tow number in order to stay within the GCVWR of 15,975
Any weight you add to the truck reduces it's payload capacity in order to stay within the GVWR of 6900.

So, lets say you have 100 lbs of hitch equipment, 100 lbs of tools in the truck, and you and a passenger weigh in at 300 lbs total.

Your truck weight is now 5,592 + 100 + 100 + 300 = 6,092 lbs

6,900 - 6,092 = 808 lbs payload capacity
15,975 - 6,092 = 9,883 lbs towing capacity

Make sense?

Last edited:

Rmcnic

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense - excellent detail!

So in the payload scenario you've provided, if I now add 700 lbs. of tongue weight from the trailer, the truck would hit 6,092 + 700 = 6,792 lbs. just under GVWR of 6,900?

Does the towing capacity remain at 9,883 lbs. or does it also decrease by that 700 lb. tongue weight?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense - excellent detail!

So in the payload scenario you've provided, if I now add 700 lbs. of tongue weight from the trailer, the truck would hit 6,092 + 700 = 6,792 lbs. just under GVWR of 6,900?

Does the towing capacity remain at 9,883 lbs. or does it also decrease by that 700 lb. tongue weight?

Tongue weight is the proportion of the trailer weight that is rested on the truck, so your towing capacity is not affected by tongue weight, as it's already included in the trailer weight.

Your example is correct, add 700 lbs to the truck, and you reduce your residual payload down to 108lbs left before you reach GVWR.

Rmcnic

Reaction score
Liked the Warlock a lot, but after 2 weeks ownership decided to move to the new 1500. Gained payload and towing capacity and all the tech. which I'd been missing. Really impressed with the new truck with the 12" display - also appreciate the massive sunroof, huge console, and the roomier rear seating area.

The only issue is the truck was slightly used 1,600 km. and the previous owner installed a Borla exhaust. Loved it on the test drive, but realize it's really loud. May look at something a bit tamer down the road. Wonder if there is a simpler muffler swap to address rather than a wholesale refit.

Users who are viewing this thread