5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

Carnut12

Reaction score
Just an FYI my buddy bought the Revolver and after 5-6 years it is destroyed didn’t hold up at all, I’m not sure if they made improvements.

Carnut12

Reaction score
Check out this video, this guy installed one

And I ordered the 401M. If you look at the instructions it looks like you can keep the rails on my model. But I don’t have Ram Boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great Video I’m glad you posted it, looks like the part that used to attach to the tailgate is gone, hopefully it is gone on the A Series also. Roll N Cover should really update their website the instructional video still shows the old one and had me looking at other options.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI my buddy bought the Revolver and after 5-6 years it is destroyed didn’t hold up at all, I’m not sure if they made improvements.

Do you know whether he had an X2 or X4?

What tore up? Just the vinyl portion of the cover? Or did the mechanical parts somehow get torn up?

What kind of environment did he have it in? Baking in a hot Texas sun all day? Freezing in a Minot winter?

Do you know if he kept it open most of the time? Closed most of the time? Somewhere in between?

Thanks!

Carnut12

Reaction score
Do you know whether he had an X2 or X4?

What tore up? Just the vinyl portion of the cover? Or did the mechanical parts somehow get torn up?

What kind of environment did he have it in? Baking in a hot Texas sun all day? Freezing in a Minot winter?

Do you know if he kept it open most of the time? Closed most of the time? Somewhere in between?

Thanks!

We are in New England so it was in Winter and Summer weather, the top of it is all torn up, it was when it first came out so I’m not sure if it was an X2/X4, I know when I asked him about (Because I’m now looking at getting one) he said he would never buy one again.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are in New England so it was in Winter and Summer weather, the top of it is all torn up, it was when it first came out so I’m not sure if it was an X2/X4, I know when I asked him about (Because I’m now looking at getting one) he said he would never buy one again.

If it was when they first came out, I guess it must be an X2. Or, at least, not an X4.

I don't know about back then, but I know now they have a 3 year warranty. If it was that torn up at 4 - 5 years, was it not already looking messed up within the 3 year mark?

Sorry with all the questions. It's not even your cover! LOL I'll quit bugging you. I appreciate the info.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a Revolver X4. Hopefully, the material on that will hold up a LOT better than how your buddy's did. The X4 material is new and different (hopefully, better). Though, truthfully, I don't expect to keep this truck more than 3 years. Maybe 5, at the most. Hopefully, I'll be trading at some point in there to a new 1500 or 2500 with a diesel (and the new fancy tailgate). So, as long as my cover lasts that long, I'll be okay. :)

jnk27

Reaction score
Apologies if this was already beaten death many pages ago.

I'm curious why so many people seem to be going for a trifold like the BakFlip instead of a roll-up(-on-top) like the Revolver.

I had a BakFlip (G2?) on my '09. After 10 years, it still worked like new. The top didn't LOOK like new, but it still looked pretty good. As good as the rest of the truck, anyway. :)

Back when I bought that, they didn't have roll-ups like the Revolver (as far as I know). Before I bought the BakFlip, I had Retrax on a couple of previous trucks, but I didn't like how much space it took up in the bad (even in my F350 with a 6'4" bed), nor the fact that I couldn't easily remove it, if I wanted to go without it for a quick trip. And, looking back, I don't like that it required its own key.

I bought the BakFlip hoping it would allow me to put a motorcycle in the back of the truck without interference. It did not. The front wheel would still hit the front edge of the BakFlip before it would hit the front wall of the bed. I made do for 10 years. Mostly, by just taking the BakFlip off whenever I needed to haul a motorcycle. It was a pain, but at least it was feasible.

I also did not especially like how the BakFlip completely blocked my view out of the rear window when it was folded up.

I'm looking at the Revolver (X4, specifically). That looks like it might address all my issues with the BakFlip and I can't see any real downside.

It LOOKS like it might roll up small enough that the front wheel on my motorcycle can get to the front wall of the bed before it hits the roll of the cover. If not, well, I wouldn't be any worse off than with the tri-fold.

It definitely looks like I'll still have SOME visibility out of the rear window.

And it still looks like it would give me all the same advantages I liked about the BakFlip. I don't need a key for it, yet once it is closed and the tailgate is closed and locked, the bed of the truck is secure. It has metal slats, so somebody can't just slice it open to get inside the bed. It says it has a 400# load capacity. I can remove it pretty quickly and easily, if I need to (leaving just the side rails). It should be as waterproof as the BakFlip was (which was probably 95%+, and I never really tried to make it 100% - 95% is plenty good enough for my purposes).

In other words, it SEEMS like it has all the good of a tri-fold with none of the bad.

So, what am I missing? Why are so many people going with a tri-fold instead?

Is it just a money thing? I haven't looked at the prices of the tri-folds. I did get a quote of $945 for a Revolver X4 (5'7" bed w/RamBoxes), delivered, from Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet.
If you prefer the roll up style over the tri-fold, but still want the ability to have full bed access, you may want to look into the TruXedo Sentry (https://truxedo.com/sentry/2019/ram/1500). It rolls up like the Bak Revolver but also has two quick release clips where you can completely remove it. If I saw this before I got my Lomax, I might have gotten it instead. One thing I don't like about it is the rails taking up 3" on each side. Also, it may interfere with tailgate release. Here's a YouTube review of it:

Reaction score
Great Video I’m glad you posted it, looks like the part that used to attach to the tailgate is gone, hopefully it is gone on the A Series also. Roll N Cover should really update their website the instructional video still shows the old one and had me looking at other options.

So I got my Roll-N-Lock LG401M Wednesday... As I started unboxing i noticed the top cover was bent. So my first thought was not a big deal they can send me a new one, but then I emptied the bag of parts and notice the sticky pads were missing. So looking harder, i noticed bolts were missing too. So now that I know I can’t install it call them, while on hold I noticed the tracks were bent also, and looking at the box i could see that there was a shipping label missing (someone owned this before me) and I knew then I got someone else’s problem. Once I got on the line, he only wanted to send me more parts and asked for pictures. So I emailed corporate also. I sent in all my pics and nothing. I have only heard great things about this 1300$ part. I’m hoping i hear from them today, Friday and they make it right. I just want a “new” one that works.

2f54b4c7d90a1321e58c72523977115c.jpg

Bent cover

6d70ba23d50e83bc454853c23ce541eb.jpg

Parts

0977a39b5832f44b21d69f70c05cdd43.jpg

Small bends. Not a huge deal.

5e1684f0156cebc4b88fb43554861a10.jpg

Missing old shipping label.

b3c160732ca8ae29aa65208eb02f6377.jpg

The damaged box from inside the box.

233317a88f871b8483ee36c54a006539.jpg

Bent rail

bda8f1af46cbad1452701d435171ac91.jpg

As you can see the spacer is already stuck on the bracket, and the fastener is gone from the screw. Most likely in someone’s truck somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you prefer the roll up style over the tri-fold, but still want the ability to have full bed access, you may want to look into the TruXedo Sentry (https://truxedo.com/sentry/2019/ram/1500). It rolls up like the Bak Revolver but also has two quick release clips where you can completely remove it. If I saw this before I got my Lomax, I might have gotten it instead. One thing I don't like about it is the rails taking up 3" on each side. Also, it may interfere with tailgate release. Here's a YouTube review of it:

Thanks. I did not know about that one. But, after watching that video, the thing about the the rails taking up 3" on each side is just one of a list of things where I like the looks of the Revolver better.

And, as it happens, I saw a Truxedo cover on somebody's truck just yesterday. I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all except that it had that same kind of rail with velcro for the vinyl flap on the edge - and it looked like complete crap. The left rear corner didn't fit right. A bunch of the velcro was exposed. Because it looked so crappy, I took a closer look and saw the label there in that same corner that said it was a Truxedo. I don't know which model.

AdventureJunkie

Reaction score
Thanks. I did not know about that one. But, after watching that video, the thing about the the rails taking up 3" on each side is just one of a list of things where I like the looks of the Revolver better.

And, as it happens, I saw a Truxedo cover on somebody's truck just yesterday. I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all except that it had that same kind of rail with velcro for the vinyl flap on the edge - and it looked like complete crap. The left rear corner didn't fit right. A bunch of the velcro was exposed. Because it looked so crappy, I took a closer look and saw the label there in that same corner that said it was a Truxedo. I don't know which model.
I have a truxedo, just have to make sure you pull the sides tight and lightly press it down. I have the truxedo prox15. And for the price I'm pretty happy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PT1911

Reaction score

Having owned the Revolver X4 (and was super happy with it) the first thing I noticed about the Truxedo Sentry is without the security hooks down the sides like the Revolver, it looks like on the Sentry you could just lift the velcro up in the middle and reach your arm into the bed?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having owned the Revolver X4 (and was super happy with it) the first thing I noticed about the Truxedo Sentry is without the security hooks down the sides like the Revolver, it looks like on the Sentry you could just lift the velcro up in the middle and reach your arm into the bed?

Yes, that was one of the things I noticed in that video as well. At first, I thought the hook in the middle might let you drive with the Sentry halfway open. But, it appears that it's setup so that middle hook is open whenever you open the front hook - so, no driving with it halfway open. The middle hook is just there to keep the middle of the cover from lifting up at highway speeds, I guess.

Like I said, there were several things I saw in that video that made me prefer what I've seen of the Revolver.

Reaper_6A

Reaction score
This has been the hardest decision for my truck. Paragon seems to have leaking issues because there are no drain tubes for the rails. The BAK MX 4 has seal issues. Leaning towards the Line-X. Anyone have
other recommendations? Want to stay below $1K.

I looked around at a lot of different covers and ultimately went with the Diamondbacks SD. It’s a little pricy but very durable and has a lot of add on options. 4E6541E4-0155-444A-AEC2-6F0CFE8D42A7.jpeg

Carnut12

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how often I would use the vertical aspect of the bed, probably not often at all. I wasn’t thinking about a diamondback, but now I’m considering it. My last truck I think I used space above the bed sides like 1-2 times per year.

Can it be taken out fairly easily when this is the case?

Reactions: RNB

Reaper_6A

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how often I would use the vertical aspect of the bed, probably not often at all. I wasn’t thinking about a diamondback, but now I’m considering it. My last truck I think I used space above the bed sides like 1-2 times per year.

Can it be taken out fairly easily when this is the case?

It can be completely taken off in about 5 minutes. The sections can flip completely over very easily and can be taken off in less than 30 seconds. I have the optional side bins which are very helpful for storing small items. I love it and have no regrets.

Reaper_6A

Reaction score
How long was your wait time to get it??

I think it was about 30 days from the time i ordered it until it arrived. I believe that you can pay a little more and get it in less than 2 weeks if you need it fast.

Pritch

Reaction score
I went with the Roll-N-Lock, which I’m pretty pleased with. (Pro Tip: The RAMbox model is on page 2!). I didn’t realize that they would have to remove the tie-down rail system in order to install it. (These will probably end up in the ‘for sale’ section) I like the clean look and it is completely silent. I think I will be getting the bed divider that works with it.

RNB

Reaction score
I went with a Diamondback HD coated with bed liner and love the look on by white limited, It leaks very little even going thru a high pressure car wash, only about a cup of water enters the bed area and I am good with that.

Users who are viewing this thread