5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

tul9033

Reaction score
My bank account is not dollar cost averaged with everyone else's. If I go forward with this purchase I LOSE $5,000 of real money that I didn't anticipate spending. Perhaps you could give me that money and call it a "lose some", now that would be a little dumb.
I just don't understand your logic.

Seems a little dumb to me not to get the truck just because the rebates aren’t as good as this random clearance event.

It’s no different than the rest of us, some of the first buyers paid 15% off or less, the rest of us probably averaged in the low 20% range, and now people got 30%.

You win some you lose some. We lost this one.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you anticipate getting a 30% off deal when you ordered the truck? I understand not buying it now if you saw it on the lot. But you showed up to order an expensive truck and now what’s changed? Why would you assume you were getting 30% off?

Last edited:

mardwin

Reaction score
I don't blame you, my rebel does feel like its MSRP of $65K (I paid $45K). No way I would have bought this truck beyond what I paid because that's what I budgeted without having to sacrifice in other areas.

I still believe there will be other rebates similar to the ones that just excited, be on alert around the end of Sep since FCA is going to a quarterly reporting cadence.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

tul9033

Reaction score
I didn't... I anticipated getting FFP -1% + 15% off MSRP.
One purpose of rebates and incentives is to clear end of year models off the lots to make room for the next model year. The typical MO of car manufacturers is to increase rebates the deeper into summer we get. This was not typical. I took a chance and it didn't work out. I may lose $500, but not $5000+ that wouldn't be smart. You have all these trucks that sold for at minimum 15% off MSRP (obviously some much higher) and have that equity already built into the price of their truck. Why pay more for an end of model year truck?
This isn't an emotional decision, it's a smart financial one.

How did you anticipate getting a 30% off deal when you ordered the truck?

Spooky8712

Reaction score
It's crazy that overnight, the trucks got 5k more expensive (roughly)...I thought that price would be the new norm. I'm glad I got my limited in June! My buddy saw my truck and wanted to buy one...I told him to buy it a few weeks ago because deals looked to good to last...now he's kicking him self lol. Wonder if rebates will get that aggressive again.

saxapl

Reaction score
Rebating new trucks $20k off sticker is a great way to move end of year inventory but kills used truck value. I assume many dealers want breaks in the rebates so they can sell the trade-ins they have from selling deeply discounted new trucks. I bought my truck at the huge rebate, and there was a slightly used truck on the lot. I would not even consider the used because it was the equivalent price to the new truck.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a fantastic deal... I wish waited longer before pulling the trigger... deals were nowhere that good back in May
Agree. Now I’ll know for the next time, say 10 years from now...
Bought 4/24. Life’s tough but I’ll suffer with the Limited anyway...

culprit

Reaction score
Rebating new trucks $20k off sticker is a great way to move end of year inventory but kills used truck value. I assume many dealers want breaks in the rebates so they can sell the trade-ins they have from selling deeply discounted new trucks. I bought my truck at the huge rebate, and there was a slightly used truck on the lot. I would not even consider the used because it was the equivalent price to the new truck.
I don't really see how it kills resale value. I've seen a few say that already. I bought my 2005 F-150 on the ford family pricing event. There was no way I could get a deal like that other than that event and I was able to trade that truck in 7 yrs later for 4k less than my purchase price. There isn't really any way for dealers to know what you paid and a good deal now just closes the depreciation gap if you trade or sell in the future. I plan on keeping my 19 Ram for as long as possible though.

saxapl

Reaction score
I don't really see how it kills resale value. I've seen a few say that already. I bought my 2005 F-150 on the ford family pricing event. There was no way I could get a deal like that other than that event and I was able to trade that truck in 7 yrs later for 4k less than my purchase price. There isn't really any way for dealers to know what you paid and a good deal now just closes the depreciation gap if you trade or sell in the future. I plan on keeping my 19 Ram for as long as possible though.

I agree. I am not saying it kills resale value of the truck that was bought at a discount. I am saying it is hard to sell used trucks on the lot if you are selling new trucks at the same price.

I am sure a lot of trucks were traded in to add 56% new truck sales in June. Now they need a month with higher new truck prices so they can sell all those trade ins.

culprit

Reaction score
I agree. I am not saying it kills resale value of the truck that was bought at a discount. I am saying it is hard to sell used trucks on the lot if you are selling new trucks at the same price.

I am sure a lot of trucks were traded in to add 56% new truck sales in June. Now they need a month with higher new truck prices so they can sell all those trade ins.
That makes sense. I wasn't interested in buying used when I could get a new Ram Bighorn at just over 30k.

Spooky8712

Reaction score
It’s crazy how well this forum can prepare you for negotiation...I was at the dealer today to get a bed divider and while waiting on install I overheard a guy in the showroom working a deal on a limited for $7k off. I felt like yelling over to him that he can negotiate more lol but I kept quiet.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really only hurts them in the “now”, by the time the 2021 models come out (and the 2020 are all gone) the values on the 19s should have stabilized. That’s usually what happens
I didn't... I anticipated getting FFP -1% + 15% off MSRP.
One purpose of rebates and incentives is to clear end of year models off the lots to make room for the next model year. The typical MO of car manufacturers is to increase rebates the deeper into summer we get. This was not typical. I took a chance and it didn't work out. I may lose $500, but not $5000+ that wouldn't be smart. You have all these trucks that sold for at minimum 15% off MSRP (obviously some much higher) and have that equity already built into the price of their truck. Why pay more for an end of model year truck?
This isn't an emotional decision, it's a smart financial one.

Sure. (y)

tul9033

Reaction score
I should clarify, my ordered truck stickered for $60K and change so the 15% was over $9K plus FFP. Hopefully rebates come back for August, but who knows. There will be quite a few 19's on the lots since everybody bought in June!

Jflores14

Reaction score
I should clarify, my ordered truck stickered for $60K and change so the 15% was over $9K plus FFP. Hopefully rebates come back for August, but who knows. There will be quite a few 19's on the lots since everybody bought in June!
Problem I see is assuming you will get 15% rebates for the higher trim levels. Past history shows that higher trim levels pretty much never receive this high of manufacture incentives. FCA turned the world upside down in June with their crazy incentives that applied to the higher trim levels also. People in the market for Big Horns should still be able to get a hefty incentive going forward. Just like XLT for Ford that's were the manufactures push their incentives on. Right now XLT has $6500 incentives in my region compare to $1500 for lariat, platinum and Limiteds

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My dealer just stopped the heavy discounting, it's just normal discounts with is about $7,000 - $10,000 off MSRP.

Plenty of 2019 models still left on the lot, so I don't think the heavy discounts of the last couple of weeks were just to clear out old stock, but part of the larger picture of taking over market share from GM.

ZeroSeVen

Reaction score
My dealer just stopped the heavy discounting, it's just normal discounts with is about $7,000 - $10,000 off MSRP.

Plenty of 2019 models still left on the lot, so I don't think the heavy discounts of the last couple of weeks were just to clear out old stock, but part of the larger picture of taking over market share from GM.

It's weird that you mentioned that... the dealership where I got my truck from had also reverted their dealer discount / rebates back on how it was like back in May (roughly around 4-6k in total discounts except for selected models)... the other delaership where I also looked at had the most rebels in stock back in May and now they have zero in inventory as of today... supply and demand is starting to catch up

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It's weird that you mentioned that... the dealership where I got my truck from had also reverted their dealer discount / rebates back on how it was like back in May (roughly around 4-6k in total discounts except for selected models)... the other delaership where I also looked at had the most rebels in stock back in May and now they have zero in inventory as of today... supply and demand is starting to catch up
Exactly. Even at the “normal” discounts now as back before June 1st, the truck was a decent deal. I was ok with $8-10K off a Ltd and frankly surprised that they were that good then. Fords big sale on their volume trim XLT was $10K off when I bought my 15’, that was hefty then.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Exactly. Even at the “normal” discounts now as back before June 1st, the truck was a decent deal. I was ok with $8-10K off a Ltd and frankly surprised that they were that good then. Fords big sale on their volume trim XLT was $10K off when I bought my 15’, that was hefty then.

Yea, I was shocked. For the people who bought the high trim levels this June are sitting pretty on resale value. Considering I see used Limiteds with less options for more than what the wife paid.

Although, since it’s a father’s day gift I can’t really ever sell it.

Carnut12

Reaction score
I feel fortunate, $70K truck for $52K, they are going for that used right now. This will reduce the amount of time I’m upside down on value for sure. Funny when I told the Ford dealership they didn’t know what to say, they can’t compete. Say what you want but I prefer the Hemi over the EcoBoost even if the Ford has more power. I am not brand loyal, but I have to say the temptation of having a Raptor and New GT500 both in Performance Blue was very tempting, I’m still debating the GT500.

mvfjet

Reaction score
The dealership where I bought my truck just decreased the dealership discount when RAM increased the rebates for June. Either way it was the same $14k off.

For the money RAM is definitely kicking Ford's and Chevy's ***. The new Silverados are just awkwardly shaped in person and so ugly. Having to lemon law my 2018 Mustang GT I'll never touch Ford again. The only thing missing to make my RAM 1500 Laramie perfect would be if the 6.4L was available for bragging rights lol. The ride, styling, features, interior etc can't be beat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread