5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone added the lights inside the bed near the tailgate?

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score
My bighorn didnt include the bedights, has anyone added them yet or is there a part number available?

Barnyard

Reaction score

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score

Searched 'bed lights' and didn't see this result, thanks!

Barnyard

Reaction score
No problem. I remembered seeing it before, so it was easier to locate. I need to do this myself one of these days. Good luck!

deanfx

Reaction score
Yeah, if you get them the instructions on pinning the wires is incorrect. I think link above mentions the correct way.

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score
Yeah, if you get them the instructions on pinning the wires is incorrect. I think link above mentions the correct way.
Kind of surprised/disappointed that the wires aren't already back there

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Kind of surprised/disappointed that the wires aren't already back there
I clearly remember the salesman telling me that the wiring was already there and all you had to buy was the light assembly and simply plug it in. I should have known better because salesmen typically know very little about the cars and trucks they sell. Lesson learned. I'm in the process of upgrading the rear cab light to make it brighter, and if I get a cover, I've seen battery powered LED strips you can install inside the bed that should be "good enough". After looking at the instructions, I'm not mechanical enough to wire the whole thing to the front of the truck.

Ruben73

Reaction score
Just had mine done yesterday at the dealer. The lights came with a harness since there is no existing wiring where the cut outs are for them. I watched the guy do it and it seemed like a pain

WA-G

Reaction score
Just had mine done yesterday at the dealer. The lights came with a harness since there is no existing wiring where the cut outs are for them. I watched the guy do it and it seemed like a pain
Ruben73 if you don't mind me asking what did the dealer charge?

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score
Also curious if passing this PITA to the dealer is worth the price tag?

Ruben73

Reaction score
Ruben73 if you don't mind me asking what did the dealer charge?
I don't Know exactly since it was part of the deal when I bought my truck on June 10th. I had them include wheel well liners and the bed lighting as part of the out the door price on the truck. Waited about 2 weeks for the parts. The mechanic started working on the truck at about 3:10 pm and was done 5:30 ish. I was watching on and off and the lighting install took him the longest. They also had to scan and update something so they can work properly. I'm sure there are other ways to get them to work but this way if something happens I'm covered.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As stated above, even if you purchase and install yourself, you still need to have the dealer flash the system and activate them. Most dealers will charge you at least $50 to do that. Maybe if you tie it in to an oil change or something they will do it for free?? I was going to add the oem bed lights but after crunching the numbers and seeing the light output I just installed some led lighting. $25. Looks awesome. Tons of light. Separate switch. Tying the wires into the trailer harness with a couple Posi-taps was a piece of cake. Entire job took 30 minutes.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I did the bed LED lights myself. It's easy, I did not removed the wheels or the liners. Just follow the youtube video
for the wiring.

It works perfectly, no flashing from the dealer, the button on the LED light works, same with the cargo button inside the cab, the key FOB, and opening/closing the tailgate. I also installed LED light bulbs in the cargo lamps and 3rd brake light. What a difference.

Running the wiring was a little bit of pain but just take your time and follow the instructions. Wasn't that bad. Only thing you don't follow is the wiring diagram instructions. Follow the video for connecting the wiring.

Midnight1988

Reaction score
I tried installing them myself which was super easy but because the wiring instructions are incorrect I could t get it to work. I spent like $350 to get the dealership to finish the wiring and set it up. They also don’t sit well in the whole so they had to put some epoxy to have the light remain. I’ll post pictures later.

Users who are viewing this thread