5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12'' screen worth it

Pkrash

Reaction score
The centre stack is the best in the market. All others are way behind. I laugh when I see a GM Sierra TV ad with those crappy GM knobs from every car and truck in the last 20yrs. Tiny screens are over.
The 12" screen is easy to use with so many combinations also with familiar knobs and switches providing easy access when driving.
I still haven't figured out all the options after a couple weeks. Haven't had a chance to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay yet. It's easy to see that this can be updated to add even more features.
The best part of the truck and well worth the extra cost.

Truckin

Reaction score
Only reason I got the 12" in my Longhorn is that was the only way to get the HK and BSM. However, in the Laramie you can get both the HK and BSM while keeping the 8.4 screen. I actually like the more conventional look of the 8.4 and knobs/buttons, hopefully the 12'" will grow on me...Dealer said I only have about another 10 days to wait!

doublenichols

Reaction score
There are pros and cons, likes and dislikes, and preferences on infinitely ANYTHING!! I have family members, friends, and colleagues (many of whom have become RAM haters) who drive Chevy, Ford, and Toyota trucks, but I guarantee that if you watch the competition closely in the coming years, especially as the new RAM gets all the attention and accolades on the 12" screen, their total redesign, and the overall truck this year -- larger screens in trucks will become the new normal, and the next shiny new thing will undoubtedly be offered by some other brand. I've owned the 3rd gen (SLT), 4th gen (Laramie), and now 5th gen Ram (Limited), and if I'm around to see the 6th gen, I'll likely own that one too. They just get better and better with time! My two cents!

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I considered the limited for a long time, but ultimately skipped it specifically to avoid the 12" screen and the Air Suspension; Air Suspension because I live near Canada, and I plan to keep the truck for a long time and don't want to worry about the suspension failing in 6 years.

For the 12" screen, the main reason I would want it is for a full screen camera view (such as surround with reverse on top, forward on bottom) or a full screen CarPlay; with neither supported, it loses most of its value. As such, the cost was not worth it and I enjoy having physical buttons for many more things rather than displaying two things simultaneously; with the shortcuts on the bottom, it is easy enough for me to switch between the main screens I use quickly and conveniently. If they make the cameras fill the whole screen and CarPlay becomes full screen compatible, I would probably splurge (I prefer Waze and Google Maps over the built in truck nav).

I have the Laramie trim with Lvl 2 / Advanced Safety Group tech packages; the 12" screen would have cost $995 at the time to add it to my factory order.
I agree on the carplay and Apple however I don't I think that not having them fullscreen would be a total deal-breaker. As far as the full screen cameras people have to understand the screen ratio if you take a widescreen video and put it to the vertical aspect ratio everything gets distorted think of your TV set it's 16 by 9 wide and now you're going to project that image to 9 by 16 tall your license plate Woody a rectangle up and down instead of left to right for example. I could see doing split screen camera then backup camera on top bird's-eye view below it but do you really need each one 75% larger than what they currently are? For me it's easy enough to see with the images being 8 inch wide another 4 in just not going to make me not hit the car behind me. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The centre stack is the best in the market. All others are way behind. I laugh when I see a GM Sierra TV ad with those crappy GM knobs from every car and truck in the last 20yrs. Tiny screens are over.
The 12" screen is easy to use with so many combinations also with familiar knobs and switches providing easy access when driving.
I still haven't figured out all the options after a couple weeks. Haven't had a chance to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay yet. It's easy to see that this can be updated to add even more features.
The best part of the truck and well worth the extra cost.
I agree. I was first looking at Silverados and Sierra Denali and then once I went into the RAM and went back and looked at another Denali or Sierra I felt like their Center stack and dashboard for that fact all look like base model trends. Not only is the center stack outstanding but the leather dashboard with the stitching makes it like a Mercedes go back into a Silverado and Sierra and look at all that lovely plastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I am curious to know the people who say they chose the 8.4 over the 12, what trim level did you end up with?
I ordered mine with the 8.4. Laramie with level2, advanced safety, offroad, rambox. For me it was having the heated/vented seat controls as real buttons. In my charger and the wife’s grand cherokee that is my one complaint that you have to navigate in to those. Definitely a personal preference thing.

Shadowmike94

Reaction score
like it so much that i traded in my midnight package Bighorn for a white Laramie with the 12" screen. Only regret is that i didn't do that the first time when buying my first truck.

Luvysbbq

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for two weeks and love it. My biggest issue is making the “time” larger......not sure you can?

It is located at the top....very small...smaller....than my 2011 Ram radio clock.

Is there a way to make the time larger?

Helmetface

Reaction score
You guys make some compelling arguments...

I placed my order today for Big Horn with the 8.4" and now I'm considering calling my salesman for a change order, while I can...

Fricken decisions.

Lize

Reaction score
You guys make some compelling arguments...

I placed my order today for Big Horn with the 8.4" and now I'm considering calling my salesman for a change order, while I can...

Fricken decisions.
I've had mine 2 weeks and absolutely love it, I was undecided on the 12" screen but really glad I chose it. Thought it might be a bit overbearing and I'd find my other cars too small afterwards, but none of that has happened. Agree with other posters about it becoming common place in future trucks, the interiors are suited to the larger screen.

Think I'd be inclined to give the sales guy a ring and change the order or you might feel a bit disappointed and its not an upgrade you can make after delivery.

Edit: And the hard climate control buttons are great round it and the heated seats button is very easy to get to with 1 press.

Lize

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for two weeks and love it. My biggest issue is making the “time” larger......not sure you can?

It is located at the top....very small...smaller....than my 2011 Ram radio clock.

Is there a way to make the time larger?
I don't think you can but you could add it into the speedo cluster if that might be easier to look at?

coffeyman76

Reaction score
3 days in and it's literally one of the top 3 things I love about the truck. Super fast, split screen, sexy and sets the bar above all other trucks. It's the tesla of light trucks. (not to give Elon to much credit...). Get it. It'll be a resale dream.

Plus soon we'll be able to order Dominos pizza from our rides...or yelp a reservation. Eventually, it'll happen sooner than you think. (totally sarcastic but cool)

Guardian needs that feature. I used to hit onstar and book a seat for dinner, get directions sent to GPS, order pizza. I liked the human interface VS a siri clone. Such is tech I suppose. This was all before I got reallyold and had too many kiddos

But the 12 inch screen makes me feel young again. So its worth it just for that... Haha

coffeyman76

Reaction score
The 12" screen is quite slow, it needs to be faster and smoother. It's the main reason that I avoided it, its a bit slow
Really? Mine is not slow. It's faster than I can control it, especially driving. As fast as my iPad, touch is spot on, nice feedback, bright and no lag I've seen at all, even changing settings.

Only thing is missing is a full movie screen while parked. It'd be like a drive in! That'll happen soon enough too.

Lize

Reaction score
Really? Mine is not slow. It's faster than I can control it, especially driving. As fast as my iPad, touch is spot on, nice feedback, bright and no lag I've seen at all, even changing settings.
Mines the same, not slow at all, very good indeed.

Aberamrod19

Reaction score
I love my 12 in. screen, but I have experienced some loss in signal to sirius xm with no reason says Lost Internet Signal. Did not realize it ran on internet. anyone else have this problem

Users who are viewing this thread