5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect/Sirius Guardian Text to speech function

Brisoup1

Reaction score
As everyone knows, 2019 FCA vehicles no longer offer a text to speech function on thier Uconnect/Guardian system anymore, just predefined messages. I had this fuction on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I used this fuction quite often. I called FCA out on this and they said they discontinued this function due to safety concerns, which doesn't make any sense to me because having this feature means you never have to take your eyes off the road. Plus there's at least twenty different apps on Uconnect that's ALOT more distracting than Text to speech.
My question is, Does anyone use the Android Auto App to send Text to Speech messages but is still able to use thier steering wheel controls to send/retrieve messages? As of right now, I have to look at the Uconnect screen in order to use Text To Speech. Which is ironic since it's ALOT more distracting than beign able to use the steering wheel controls for Text To Speech. When I was buying my truck, the salesman told me the Uconnect in my new truck is just as easy to operate than it was in my Grand Cherokee. Of course he never mentioned this new Android Auto crap to me . Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Try pressing and holding the voice button. That initiates the Google assistant, and you can tell it to text/call whoever you want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ken1085

Reaction score
First thing I do is connect to Android Auto when I get in my truck. I love it mostly for the talk to text feature. Its easy to bounce back and fourth between the Android Auto Screen and the Uconnect system. It can be a little quirky at times, especially if you are in an area with bad cell reception. The good out ways the bad for sure! I have the 8.4 with Nav.

Ken1085

Reaction score
Oh and yes voice controls work on the steering wheel when you hold it down and not just tap it or you can just say "Hey Google" and it wakes up!

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I tried holding down the voice button for a couple seconds and it works! I'm able to now send voice to text messages. It does take a little getting used to but it is what it is. The only thing I really don't like about it now is that I do not get a voice telling me that I just received a message. I have to look at the screen to see if I received any. I'm sure it does tell you but I've not been able to have it do this yet. I have a Samsung Android 7.
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread