5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deflector Pros and Cons

Ramses

Reaction score
I chose the MOPAR for our 2019. Solid. Zero issues.
a491e2d95807f1ce1c438fba277ba876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see WT has a "stone and bug deflector" and also a "hood protector" that would fit my truck. Both are priced at $59. Anyone know which one I should get and what the differences are between the two products? I want the ability to fasten it by clips and not 3m tape. thx

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see WT has a "stone and bug deflector" and also a "hood protector" that would fit my truck. Both are priced at $59. Anyone know which one I should get and what the differences are between the two products? I want the ability to fasten it by clips and not 3m tape. thx
Get the stone and bug deflector. Awesome product. High quality and installs without brackets and 3M tape. Attaches using plastic clips that replace the factory clips that attach the rubber weather strip at the edge of the hood.

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the stone and bug deflector. Awesome product. High quality and installs without brackets and 3M tape. Attaches using plastic clips that replace the factory clips that attach the rubber weather strip at the edge of the hood.
Thanks, man, I'll go with that one.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the mounting system of WT shield compared to Mopar. However, Mopar shield is available in chrome, which I like better for my vehicle. I think a color matching would be the best, but probably not worth the additional cost of having one painted. 2675F9AC-6A4E-4D41-B001-7027DBB209BF.jpeg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the mounting system of WT shield compared to Mopar. However, Mopar shield is available in chrome, which I like better for my vehicle. I think a color matching would be the best, but probably not worth the additional cost of having one painted.

I totally agree on the mounting but many of us are trying to DECHROME and not ad more but if you're a chrome guy...that truck does look sharp my friend and I love the color...reminds me of my Limited:D

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree on the mounting but many of us are trying to DECHROME and not ad more but if you're a chrome guy...that truck does look sharp my friend and I love the color...reminds me of my Limited:D
Totally understand

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Well I think I’m taking mine off today and will end up getting the thing wrapped and ceramic coated. I have two rock chips that happened with the deflector so I guess that’s how it goes

I have the Mopar unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the Weather Tech stone and bug deflector (Part Number: 50272) tonight as @securityguy rec'd (he has pictures attached in this thread). It looks awesome on my black truck. About $80 total shipped from WT.

After only 100 miles into the truck I had a small chunk taken out of my driver side corner of the hood and had it filled and painted in by the dealer. Talk about bad luck, lol!

The deflector is definitely of sturdy quality where I am sure if I had it on day 1 the hood would not have received that gash. Install took about 30 minutes. Only words of advice is to make sure to use a standard plastic vehicle fastener removal tool to get the OEM plastic fasteners out under the hood. Those are critical so you don't rip into with the rubber seal. Those fasteners will not just pull out clean, they will break and come apart, so don't freak out. Just replace them with the WT fasteners that came with the kit when you install the shield.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Any have the Lund Stampede hood deflector? https://www.lundinternational.com/stampede-2019-2-vigilante-premium-hood-protector-smoke

Also, I have the painted grill on my Laramie Sport. So the top part of the grill that's painted is susceptable to getting a lot of chips I would expect, and the hood deflector won't protect that part of the grill. Has anyone done anything with the top grill piece and either wrap it in matte black vinyl or apply some PPF to it?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...get the WeatherTech. Great design...easy to install and remove...high quality and looks great for the same cost.
RAM_WT.jpg

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Is there a way to avoid having to pay a $20 shipping fee for Weathertech? I realize the hood deflector is big, but that's like 33% of the cost of the deflector. Seems a bit outrageous for something that while long, still only weighs a few pounds.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought it was a little high as well when I ordered it. But when the package came in, looking at the odd length of the box, IMO, it justified the price. It's probably a reason it isn't hawked on Amazon because Amazon would be taking a hit on the shipping. Only way I think you can avoid shipping cost is to be located near the Chicago area and arrange a warehouse pickup.

Is there a way to avoid having to pay a $20 shipping fee for Weathertech? I realize the hood deflector is big, but that's like 33% of the cost of the deflector. Seems a bit outrageous for something that while long, still only weighs a few pounds.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy it and all other WT products and get it shipped free from www.tonneaucovered.com. You will need to call the number and do it over the phone:)

Reactions: Jtr

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
These guys are legit? They have some amazing discounts including 20% off list for the mx4 backflip. Seems too good to be true
Yep...totally legit. Bought my Retrax and saved about $300 and all of WT gear at zero shipping. Items showed up in just a day or two. They have warehouses around the country.

Users who are viewing this thread