5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Neokane

Reaction score
I just checked my AC performance.. It is 70 deg outside, with the AC on MAX (recirculate on) sun shade closed, temps I saw only got down to 50degs out of the passenger center vent and 53-55 out of the driver center vent.
Build date 1/22/19

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just checked my AC performance.. It is 70 deg outside, with the AC on MAX (recirculate on) sun shade closed, temps I saw only got down to 50degs out of the passenger center vent and 53-55 out of the driver center vent.
Build date 1/22/19
That's pretty much what my vents blow without the hose being clamped off. With the hose clamped, I'm getting about 44 degrees from the driver's side vent even with 95 degree outside temps.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The other difference which goes a long way in regards to the temperature feel is that there was a 8% difference in relative humidity in the trucks 32% for the Ford and 40% for the RAM.

Wonder if the higher humidity in the Ram was due to a leaking sunroof drain seal...

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
The AC run around at the dealerships is a joke. Was recently told to bring my truck back in by Ram for the AC and other issues I have had. I told my case manager I did not want to bring it in because there is no service bulletin that addresses the 8 degree temperature spread from drivers side to the passenger side. Well she insisted and I decided to try again. That was a mistake. I even brought it to a new dealer. Guess what happened? All the tech did was drive the truck down the block and he decided it felt cold enough to him so proclaimed it is working to spec. It was only 70 out and of coarse it would feel cold. I said what about the temperature spread? The service dip **** at the counter said there is nothing to fix and my tech said it is to spec? They never lifted a finger to get a thermometer and I have had multiple dealerships say it is to spec without a single measurement. I left there pissed off. I wrote my case manger a nasty email last night and she called me today. I flat out said I will not bring this back in unless there is a bulletin to address the specific problem of the temperature spread seen with these trucks. My time has been wasted again and it has been wasted over and over again for months. It will not be wasted again. I am tired of the BS from Ram and the dealers. Ram stop telling people to bring in their trucks for a problem you and your dealers refuse to fix and in Ram case even provide a solution. I will not be part of the continous circle of crap anymore. Unless there is a specific bulletin nothing is going to be done by the dealerships. If there is a bulletin I will probably have to read it word for word to them to even have them perform the service (I had to read to them the software update in order to get that done as well).

stevestrike

Reaction score
I want to share something that I hope is genuinely helpful here. I have a black exterior/interior Ram here in Houston. Temps on the dash have been 95-105 the past few days. I've also left my truck in full sun for 1+ hours on purpose for this test.

On the past three time I've tried this test, I would say that within 5 minutes of starting up and driving, my cabin is very comfortable--and here's the important part--even though my temps are no better than anyone else's here. Low 50's on the driver, mid-40's on passenger.

So the point I'm making/wondering here is that maybe getting 40/50's temp at the air vent is not the real culprit here? Maybe the temps are 'in spec' but something else is causing the system to cool inadequately?

Crossposted in other AC thread, I hope that's OK

Reaction score
Recently watched a side by side comparison with 2019 Ram vs F150 on YouTube Testing done by TFL (The fast Lane)Both black interior
F150 cooled down to 71* faster and was blowing nearly 10* colder from the drivers vents. 41-42 vs 51-52*. It’s appears Ram A/C Sucks when u have been in an F150 and switch to a Ram.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently watched a side by side comparison with 2019 Ram vs F150 on YouTube Testing done by TFL (The fast Lane)Both black interior
F150 cooled down to 71* faster and was blowing nearly 10* colder from the drivers vents. 41-42 vs 51-52*. It’s appears Ram A/C Sucks when u have been in an F150 and switch to a Ram.
AHA...............I sent Andre Smirnov of TFLtruck an email a few weeks ago about our 2019 1500's AC cooling being poor with up to 8 degree vent temperature difference. He said they would check their Rebel against other competitors. Sounds like they did some testing! Actually those are some of the cooler temp numbers posted by fifth gen ram members. Some can't get below 60 out of drivers center vent. This should get FCA Rams attention for a fix. :cool:

Last edited:

Neokane

Reaction score
I noticed in their video, that the ram didn't appear to be in recirculation mode during the video on several occasions. which would alter the results of the test.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed in their video, that the ram didn't appear to be in recirculation mode during the video on several occasions. which would alter the results of the test.
very true......i just sent another email to Andre Smirnov about this video requesting they also compare drivers center vent against passenger center vent temp readings. I pointed out that their temps are similar to the "happier" members and that they need to monitor other new Rams and also asked them to read our AC posts about the poorer performing trucks

Neokane

Reaction score
Here is a specific spot where you can find the recirc is off.

nlindste

Reaction score
I made a similar comment a few months back - after taking my truck in for my 2nd service and fighting with the service adviser about some TSBs (none A/C related) I noticed that my A/C was marginally better and I noticed my electric cooling fans seemed to be running on high MUCH more this summer than last summer. I thought it was in my head but nice to see someone else confirm. I can definitely hear the engine fans at full blast when I'm riding around town, which is not something I remember from my first 4 months of ownership.

However, the difference is a minor improvement at best - the A/C is still sub-par compared to any other vehicle I've driven this year. I'll be asking them to perform the A/C TSB when I go in for my next oil change in a few weeks.
They updated the pcm software on my truck as well, noticed that the fan has been running more. It is definitely a marginal improvement on the AC performance but is incredibly annoying that the fan is running at high speed now and my truck sounds like an old beater.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They updated the pcm software on my truck as well, noticed that the fan has been running more. It is definitely a marginal improvement on the AC performance but is incredibly annoying that the fan is running at high speed now and my truck sounds like an old beater.
Can you no longer adjust the fan speed with the buttons? That would be annoying as heck if the fan constantly runs at a high speed.

nlindste

Reaction score
Can you no longer adjust the fan speed with the buttons? That would be annoying as heck if the fan constantly runs at a high speed.
Sorry should have specified, the radiator fan under the hood is going full speed.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry should have specified, the radiator fan under the hood is going full speed.

The manufacturer in the #1 spot does the same thing. I think I would be fine with this, I can't really tell from inside the truck.

Neokane

Reaction score
So, yesterday was the first really hot day I had to use my AC.

Got in my truck, it was 90 degrees outside and my truck was still warm after [highway] driving for 20-25 minutes.
The temps coming out of the center vents were:
Driver side: 55
Passenger Side: 44

I was slightly mystified by the fact that even after 20 minutes of driving that that AC was still on full with recirc on and the truck wasn't cool/cold.

19ramsport

Reaction score
How does the air speed feel coming out of your rear console vents? I turn the fan speed on high and it does blast the air out of the dash vents but I barely feel it coming out of rear console vents.

Reaction score
I’m baffled at the number of guys complaining about the A/C. I have been in a F150 for 13 years and it had a fantastic A/C. But my 2019 Ram 1500 works awesome. Perhaps not quite as cold as the Ford, but I have yet to run it on Max AC for 2 weeks and over 1000 miles. I live in Central MS on the MS River. It’s been in the mid to high 90’s at 80-90% Humidity.
I have a black truck and black interior with 35% regular tint.
No issues for me yet and I am VERY HOT NATURED.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m baffled at the number of guys complaining about the A/C. I have been in a F150 for 13 years and it had a fantastic A/C. But my 2019 Ram 1500 works awesome. Perhaps not quite as cold as the Ford, but I have yet to run it on Max AC for 2 weeks and over 1000 miles. I live in Central MS on the MS River. It’s been in the mid to high 90’s at 80-90% Humidity.
I have a black truck and black interior with 35% regular tint.
No issues for me yet and I am VERY HOT NATURED.
You are one of the lucky ones. Measure your vent temps at as low as you can get them and let us know the numbers. Before clamping my hose, the center, drivers side vent would blow no cooler that 52 - 53 degrees. After clamping, it’s around 44 - 45 degrees which is much better.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are one of the lucky ones. Measure your vent temps at as low as you can get them and let us know the numbers. Before clamping my hose, the center, drivers side vent would blow no cooler that 52 - 53 degrees. After clamping, it’s around 44 - 45 degrees which is much better.
Turkeyhunter22 isn't a lucky one. He's one of the vast majority of 2019 Ram 1500 owners. 300,000+ trucks now built and complainers about a couple hundred? That's about .06%

Users who are viewing this thread