5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratched up tailgate

EddieB

Reaction score
Be careful of license plate frames you buy for the rear. I put a metal frame on my rear and it ran a little taller than the one that came from the dealer. When lowering the tailgate it clipped the top of the license plate. I have a nice scratch now. Not too noticeable on silver BUT it could have been a lot worse.

cra1g

Reaction score
Good tip--you made me go check mine just in case. No scratches, but that gap is pretty tight with the tailgate down.

EddieB

Reaction score
Attached photo of scratch. For over a year there was a popping noise when lowering the tailgate. I thought it was part of the "assist" mechanism.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 80

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Guess I will have to pay attention whenever I finally get my license plate! That happens to my truck and I'm gonna be pissed!

EddieB

Reaction score
Guess I will have to pay attention whenever I finally get my license plate! That happens to my truck and I'm gonna be pissed!
I will add that the frame I got was pretty slim and was fastened all the way to the bottom. I am curious to see if anyone else made this mistake.

Reactions: 2wd

swarggs

Reaction score
I noticed these marks on my tailgate when detailing it last week. It's been bothering me not knowing where they came from, now I know. I never would have thought this was the problem. Thanks for the information.

swarggs

Reaction score
I didn't notice one, but it could have been happening I suppose. Mine wasn't a big frame, but it was big enough to make contact. I dont have the marks along the very bottom, just two small ones in the higher location from the corners of the frame.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

2wd

Reaction score
What a great post and FYI. Scratches are inevitable but I hate causing them myself. Really appreciate you sharing this. I was just shopping for license plate frames.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same goes for light bar. the plastic tubing around my recon lightbar scrapes against the bottom of the tailgate and scratched as well

Reactions: 2wd

Users who are viewing this thread