5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you actually use your panoramic sunroof?

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I'm looking at building my replacement vehicle, and I'm questioning whether or not a panoramic sunroof is worth it. I remember having them in my college years, but I haven't had one in probably 20 years or so. I keep thinking how it would be nice to be able to look out the sunroof, but then I read stuff about exploding sunroofs and leaking sunroofs and wonder if it's really worth the expense and hassle.

How many of you have purchased the panoramic sunroof and actually use it more than once or twice a month?

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I didn't get the Panoramic sunroof, but I wish I had.
They make the truck feel much bigger inside than it is. The exploding sunroof I think was only reported once here, so that's not a very common issue I don't suspect. The leaking sunroof is an isolated issue and a quick 5 second check to make sure the grommets are in place will be all you need to ensure no leaking.

A10

Reaction score
I use mine every day on the way home if it’s sunny out. Only time the shade is closed is if I gotta park the truck in the sun. Otherwise, I love having the natural light in the truck.

I haven’t had a single issue with it yet and it has been through harsh rain and -50 degree temperatures.

I would get it again and again.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I have never had a factory sunroof problem in 25 years and lots of vehicles the Ram included. I use it all the time with the back window instead of side windows. Rarely close the shade unless it is parked in the sun. I will say that the wind quieting shield in this one is particularly nice. That mesh thing really cuts down interior wind and noise. They did a nice job with the whole thing. My biggest challenge has been pressing the right button the first time because there are a lot and they all look the same.

RBRK

Reaction score
I like mine as well but I had to ceramic tint it because they are hot. It only has a small fabric shade not like the regular style and the heat comes through and it’s very noticeable. Even when shut.

I lie the lighting for sure but the drawback is the heat.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had sunroofs on every vehicle for the last 20 years and can probably count on one hand the number of times I used them or really cared one way or the other. This pano roof is totally different. It makes the truck look gorgeous. It opens up the interior of the truck in such an incredible way. It is probably my favorite feature of the truck.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
I enjoy my Ram panoramic sunroof much more than my Ford. First, it doesnt rattle requiring slick tape to fix the problem while the dealer claims they cant hear it. Second, not AS MUCH heat comes in as my Ford but like RBRK said I would add the ceramic tint to help out more. Overall very pleased with my choice on the pano sunroof. And my 6 year old loves having it open so it keeps him happy too.

DM-SC

Reaction score
I didn't go looking for a truck with the sunroof but the truck I picked had it.

I use it more than I thought I would. Not every day but I love it open on my morning commutes

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love it. Makes a simple drive somewhere that much more enjoyable. Plus it gives the rear passengers something to Oooo and Aaaah about!

Ram92131

Reaction score
I like mine as well but I had to ceramic tint it because they are hot. It only has a small fabric shade not like the regular style and the heat comes through and it’s very noticeable. Even when shut.

I lie the lighting for sure but the drawback is the heat.
What did it cost to tint it?

Ram92131

Reaction score
I’m opposite some of the others here. I tend to have it open more in winter and rainy conditions than in bright sun. I think our sun in SoCal is pretty intense and it becomes a little too much light sometimes. In winter it lets more in so it feels less dreary.

I had the same large pano roof in my Grand Cherokee and so I’m a repeat buyer.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I spoke to a shop about tinting, and they advised against it. Said something about the tint possibly causing the glass to break due to the trapped in heat - something about glass layers.

Also, does anyone off road with their sunroof? I'm not looking to rock crawl, but I am buying the truck to overland and camp.

redbranch

Reaction score
When I was truck shopping, I really didn't care at all about the pano sunroof. I had decided it was at the bottom of my "must haves" list. When I found the truck I ended up buying, it had the sunroof. I use it all the time and am so glad I ended up with it. The light, the air, the look....it just makes the whole truck that much better and fun to drive.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m opposite some of the others here. I tend to have it open more in winter and rainy conditions than in bright sun. I think our sun in SoCal is pretty intense and it becomes a little too much light sometimes. In winter it lets more in so it feels less dreary.

I had the same large pano roof in my Grand Cherokee and so I’m a repeat buyer.
Exactly the same here in Texas. And it’s cool to take in the downtown lights at night.

RBRK

Reaction score
I work at a Honda car dealer and had the guy do it who does our tint. It was $60 to tint it. A lot of myths on trapping heat and breaking etc after tint. To me it was worth it because of the heat. I do like the roof with the light, the huge opening and the look in general.

Users who are viewing this thread