5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You one of the lucky ones....just goes to show how poor their engineering dept. is.
Now I must say, if I slam my bed step back it will tap my muffler pipe but I just don’t slam it back and that fixes that. What all did you have to do to make yours work?

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that plus tae tail pipe was hitting the bed step over pretty much all bumps which was super annoying so i had to cut the rear hanger move it over to the right and weld it into place. I didn't have to do it on the passenger side although I'm still toying with the idea of getting my hands on some universal hangers to pull them more into center as they are not lined up as good as they should be.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Well that plus tae tail pipe was hitting the bed step over pretty much all bumps which was super annoying so i had to cut the rear hanger move it over to the right and weld it into place. I didn't have to do it on the passenger side although I'm still toying with the idea of getting my hands on some universal hangers to pull them more into center as they are not lined up as good as they should be.
Oh that’s tough. I had my muffler shop weld my exhaust in place prior to installing my step so I’m glad it worked.

Txy

Reaction score
You should've tried putting washers between the frame and the mounting bracket of the step. That probably would've created the space that you needed for it not to hit

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should've tried putting washers between the frame and the mounting bracket of the step. That probably would've created the space that you needed for it not to hit
Its mounted on the inside of the frame so that would just make it closer to the exhaust pipe.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Its mounted on the inside of the frame so that would just make it closer to the exhaust pipe.
Correct...you can get it CLOSER to the exhaust but not further away based on how it mounts to the vehicle. I am assuming that @Txy doesn't have this step or he would have known.

Txy

Reaction score
Correct...you can get it CLOSER to the exhaust but not further away based on how it mounts to the vehicle. I am assuming that @Txy doesn't have this step or he would have known.
I have both the step and the magna flow exhaust. If you put a washer or spacer between the frame and the steps mounting bracket where I marked in red, it would push the step outward away from the exhaust. Just trying to help people with this issue.

Attachments

• 20190515_153656.jpg
    20190515_153656.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 194

Tommym

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Went to the dealers last week and ordered using the 15% Mopar coupon. Step came in yesterday and I installed it today.

Last edited:

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Can someone measure between the holes on the bed step? Or measure from center to center on the bolt heads if its already mounted? Basically across the top two and then between the two that are above/below each other.

I ask because I have a 2019 3500 HD and I want to see if the bed step for the 2019 DT will mount up to my truck. It looks like it would work...I just want to be sure before I order one. There isn't one listed yet for the new HD models. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could hook me up...Thanks!

Ram1984

Reaction score
I installed this morning. I have read all posts on this topic, and judging by posts seemed like a very easy job. I found it to be a BIG pain in the ***. I ended up taking the exhaust tip off to get more working room, and used a jack to hold step in place so I could get 1 bolt in easily. The bolt that had to be removed in step 1 had to be reused. The new bolts provided would not thread into welded on nut. The other 2 holes did not have welded nuts like most have experienced. I am thinking it’s because it’s an early build (3/18). I was able to torque all 3 to the 125 ft lbs easily due to the removal of exhaust tip. I am very pleased with final outcome. This is much more hidden and beefier than the amp research step I had on my 2014 2500.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
What part number did you install? Also can you measure from center to center on the bolt heads? Basically across the top two and then between the two that are above/below each other. I'm trying to see if the bolt hole line up with the ones on my 2019 Ram 3500. I would greatly appreciate it.

Viking42

Reaction score
Having more or less read through the post
Is there a clear quality difference between the AMP reserach bed step and the mopar bed step?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Having more or less read through the post
Is there a clear quality difference between the AMP reserach bed step and the mopar bed step?
And if the amp step is what I remember it does not tuck up under the bumper as nice as the mopar one does.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Hey brother any luck on the measurements between the bolt heads on the bed step? I want to see if its the same as on my 2019 Ram 3500 before I order one. Thanks

Tac747

Reaction score
I ordered it yesterday from my local dealer and just received my newly redesigned (PN 82215289AF) bed step today and it took all of 15 minutes to install it. The new design does not use a flag bolt, so there is no fishing in the dark and even comes with holes for reattaching the wiring harness clips. I attached pics showing the new attachment points and the instructions if anyone is interested. They even added a hanger that fits in one of the unused holes so you don't have to hold it up while starting the bolts. Very Happy

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0041 .jpg
    IMG_0041 .jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Bed step.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 68

Tac747

Reaction score
Hey brother any luck on the measurements between the bolt heads on the bed step? I want to see if its the same as on my 2019 Ram 3500 before I order one. Thanks
2" and 4.5" The latest revision changes the attachment points.(See above) It now uses 2 of the bumper/hitch bolts and the third hole is still the same

IMG_0034 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread