5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cylinder deactivation? 5.7

Ch28

Reaction score
I usually don’t either, but, if you get on a flat road and set the cruise to 43 or 44, it’s right at the on/off point and I can definitely tell when it goes in and out, and the feel/sound is directly related to the “eco” light on the dash. Many people say the eco doesn’t equal MDS, I call bull crap based on my experience they are directly correlated.
I totally believe the eco light is for the MDS. I have been testing mine and when i shut off the MDS with the gear limiter as mentioned above, I no longer get the eco light ever. I could always make the eco come on but with the MDS off i cant even if i try. So that makes me believe that the eco is in direct correlation with MDS. Plus i could always slightly feel it kicking into MDS, dont feel that with the gear limiter on.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Just got a new Laramie and cannot detect the transitions. Turned on the ECO indicator and still do not notice anything. It is smooth and seamless.
Same with mine, turned indicator on but have never noticed transition, run 89 octane and have just turned 700 miles. Previous 2016 Silverado LT would indicate 4 cylinder but never noticed change. Love the quiet RAM over the Chevy, no comparison in ride comfort!

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this to explain more.

Yes there is. And yes you should.

The 5.7 does have MDS and does deactivate cylinders.

It does have an eco icon. Some say they don't see it til after break in, some say they see it often, some say they rarely see it.

Some say you have to turn it on, others say it is always on.

Lol!! That just sounded like Rusty giving Linus advice of how to act cool in Ocean's 11. Hahaha.

"Act cool but not too cool. Look him in the face but don't make eye contact. Let him remember you but forget you as soon as you leave.". Or something along those lines

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Just got a new Laramie and cannot detect the transitions. Turned on the ECO indicator and still do not notice anything. It is smooth and seamless.

Same here on both my 2007 Dodge Ram and 2019 Ram Limited.

hay.cyclist

Reaction score
I have a Laramie Quad Cab and I cam detect both the gurgling sound and the boom when MDS shuts off. I used all octanes 87, 89, 91 - makes no difference. It's really sucky that it does that. The dealer forgot to mention it when they sold me the truck!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Laramie Quad Cab and I cam detect both the gurgling sound and the boom when MDS shuts off. I used all octanes 87, 89, 91 - makes no difference. It's really sucky that it does that. The dealer forgot to mention it when they sold me the truck!
I notice them, but I’m totally fine with it...most of the time, I’m making a game of it and trying to get MDS to kick in.

hay.cyclist

Reaction score
I notice them, but I’m totally fine with it...most of the time, I’m making a game of it and trying to get MDS to kick in.
Ha ha. It does not bother me in town, but when I drive a quiet, winding road, it drive me nuts to hear it booming all the time. They should have a shut off that does not require us to click +/- several times every time to you turn on.

RodRow

Reaction score
I notice the MDS transition almost every time. I really think it’s due to driving habits and the fact that I almost never have the radio on.
Just over 6k miles and it’s more pronounced now. I have stock intake and exhaust because putting aftermarket on either seems to make it more noticeable. I hated that on my 2016 Ram, but loved the truck anyway. Almost as much as I love my Max 19 Ram!

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 11,000 miles and my "eco" light comes on a lot. I will occasionally hear it kick off depending on my speed. I never hear or feel it kick on. I have to rely on the light.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this to explain more.

Yes there is. And yes you should.

The 5.7 does have MDS and does deactivate cylinders.

It does have an eco icon. Some say they don't see it til after break in, some say they see it often, some say they rarely see it.

Some say you have to turn it on, others say it is always on.
I can either turn on or off the notification light on mine in the settings screen

Barney556180

Reaction score
The MDS on my 2019 Laramie is mostly unnoticed going in and out. I activated the Eco indicator from the Uconnect Options screen to know for sure.

At a steady cruising 50 mph on flat terrain, I see about 20 plus instant MPG: With MDS it jumps to 40 plus.

My unscientific experiment suggests real mileage improvement, although the amount of time in MDS is limited. Every bit contributes to the overall MPG.

Yea, I know it’s a truck, but better mileage with reasonable performance is better than not...

Last edited:

JohnUSA

Reaction score
you really don't shift the truck with the +/- while you're driving (its a gear limiter, not a shifter)

You hit - first, then + to get the display to 8.

The truck shifts normally on its own (all the way up to 8th)

it just stops the MDS from kicking on.
If you hit the tow button, will that have same effect?

Fab1

Reaction score
I restart a shot, and already said on another post, but the ECO icon that should light, never turned on mine, and I activated the function in Uconnect, and soon 4'000 miles.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm sure your already aware, but for those that aren't - there is a setting so you can have the gear show up on the display without the use of the +/- buttons. I can tell when it's in MDS by the exhaust note and engine sound. Not sure if the wife would notice it or not though - it is pretty faint.

I'm not aware of this, no. How do I get the current gear to show up, without using the +/- buttons? I looked everywhere in my dash options, as well as my uconnect settings, can't seem to find it.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually can't tell other than the eco light, unless the stereo is off and the back window is open. It to me sounds like an off pitch uneven rumble, not as loud, slow or pronounced as an Alcohol fueled dragster....but kinda like the timing is ratcheted back....

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not aware of this, no. How do I get the current gear to show up, without using the +/- buttons? I looked everywhere in my dash options, as well as my uconnect settings, can't seem to find it.
If it exists, it should be in the cluster screen settings.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If it exists, it should be in the cluster screen settings.
It's a setting in UConnect. I'll try to find it and post it.
I've enabled it several months ago so I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 55

Barney556180

Reaction score
Go into Instrument Cluster Screen Setup to set odometer tenths (pics show premium instrument cluster).

- Press Engine Start button to ACC.
-Press left steering wheel up/down buttons and press The Screen Setup feature can only be used while the vehicle is in PARK.
- Press the steering wheel left Up or Down arrow button to Screen Setup and press OK.
35703bad946f742b421d7026ed212f28.jpg

- Navigate to Odometer and press OK.
b4f67234736bfc10b4a4a0b53be5bedb.jpg

- Select to display tenths and press OK.
392a58a9f0e9791284f4c3c86401bdcd.jpg

2a3bc2776bf1e56684b9a50f0b92f1bf.jpg

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Go into Instrument Cluster Screen Setup to set odometer tenths (pics show premium instrument cluster).

- Press Engine Start button to ACC.
-Press left steering wheel up/down buttons and press The Screen Setup feature can only be used while the vehicle is in PARK.

- Press the steering wheel left Up or Down arrow button to Screen Setup and press OK.
35703bad946f742b421d7026ed212f28.jpg

Navigate to Odometer and press OK.
b4f67234736bfc10b4a4a0b53be5bedb.jpg

Select to display tenths and press OK.
392a58a9f0e9791284f4c3c86401bdcd.jpg

2a3bc2776bf1e56684b9a50f0b92f1bf.jpg

You wouldn't happen to know how to get the current gear to always stay visible, without having to use the +/- buttons?

Users who are viewing this thread