5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Recognition - anyone get to send text or search address

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uconnect actually called me yesterday and according to them the woman stated that she thinks they are trying to get everyone to go through Android Auto or Apple carplay from now on anyway So that's why it's not activated and most likely will not become activated. I told her that was disappointing to hear that we're paying this money for the service and then they're telling us to go through another service that We purchased through our cell phones. Sounds like they're skipping out on it

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uconnect actually called me yesterday and according to them the woman stated that she thinks they are trying to get everyone to go through Android Auto or Apple carplay from now on anyway So that's why it's not activated and most likely will not become activated. I told her that was disappointing to hear that we're paying this money for the service and then they're telling us to go through another service that We purchased through our cell phones. Sounds like they're skipping out on it
My guess is map updating and voice recognition software. It's got to be massively difficult and expensive to keep it to to date. I personally wish the navigation would just automatically use Google maps from my phone.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have had no problems with text using Apple Carplay But Then I have it programed for the woman with an Australian accent. Just like my wife!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So UConnect called me after Ramcares private messaged me on the issue. Per UConnect, it is a problem with the Panasonic radio not currently having the feature to be able to do voice to text. He said it isn't limited to current Rams, but any new vehicle using the new Panasonic radio. He said models before 2019 can do it, but not our 2019s yet. He said they will pass up the info that it is desired and hopefully a software patch can enable it again. So I would certainly contact UConnect and let them know you want the feature. Enough clamoring and maybe they update it. Until then, Android Auto/Apple Car Play are the only options to avoid the predefined messages.

Similarly, the microphone that is grayed out in Navigation is the same issue. However, he said you can use the voice recognition button on the steering wheel and say "Find Address" and get info that way. In testing this, you have to be exact with your address, and give the entire address. It sometimes could find a general POI, such as McDonalds, but failed miserably trying to locate something like Bass Pro.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Ok so my dilemma sounds very familiar here. Bought truck in August of 2018. Navagation has not worked 100% since. I am planning a trip at the end of May this year and still going through all the things this truck can do. From what I have been told by others and sales people you should be able to use the voice command button and ask for directions to an address. Say find and an address and should work. Well the only thing that it will find by voice recognition is home because it is programmed in there. It has worked sometimes and I say that loosely. For the longest time if you typed an address in all it said was working offline. Still does that once in awhile. Also have the help screen enabled thing that it would give me suggested phrases when using voice recognition. All my help screen say is call and dial. Today on the way to the dealer the help screen said tune. It never has any suggestion for the navagation. This is an issue that has been escalated with Chrysler. Funny thing as I was driving to the dealer which takes me an hour one way and gas closing in on $3.00 a gallon, I used the assist button for the first time and talked to a rep who handled Uconnect. Asked if there was a special phrase we had to say to use voice recognition to find an address. He claimed that the voice recognition button is going to disabled for navagation functions by Chrysler and if I had an apple device good luck with it working good with the 2019 rams. He said apple is always updating and Chrysler doesn’t keep up.
So now I’m a little upset because the rep from ram care says the vr button works for navagation functions. Called unconnect again of course got a different rep and she said the very button should work for finding addresses. So now the tech at the dealer looked at it and says it’s working fine. He said if you say home it brought it to the navagation for my address. That’s not the problem. That has always worked. Took the service writer out to the truck after the tech said it was working fine after I sat there for three hours and did the voice recognition thing and low and behold it didn’t work. Though the help screen had a new line of help called locate. Never saw that before but upon doing another voice recognition that line and the tune to line disappeared. So to the untrained me, sounds like some communication problems somewhere in the truck and communication between the right hand and left hand at Chrysler. And to add to it the rear brake squeal those parts are on back order with no eta been dealing with that since February. Sorry it’s so long. Very frustrating when you pay such a larger amount of money for something that isn’t working properly. And if the answer is it’s not going to be working then tell me don’t just make excuses.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I may be one of the few who got the 12" screen for the 12" screen, not the crappy OEM NAV.
Honestly, any baked in GPS is crap and very quickly out of day.... don't even know why car manufacturers bother, they should really concentrate on making sure it works seamlessly with Android Auto or CarPlay.

I use Android Auto or Waze and the work perfectly 100% of the time... I only wish it would work wirelessly rather than needing to be plugged in.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine functions, but that’s all it does. It rarely understands what I say. It’s the worst voice recognition I’ve ever used. It was better on my 14 Laramie and my 15 Grand Cherokee. As far as texting goes, I just hold down the voice button and use Siri. She knows what she’s doing.
Yeah I use Siri. But I don’t hold the voice button. I just say hey Siri and tell her what to do right after. She always does what I need perfectly.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. Worel
I guess I may be one of the few who got the 12" screen for the 12" screen, not the crappy OEM NAV.
Honestly, any baked in GPS is crap and very quickly out of day.... don't even know why car manufacturers bother, they should really concentrate on making sure it works seamlessly with Android Auto or CarPlay.

I use Android Auto or Waze and the work perfectly 100% of the time... I only wish it would work wirelessly rather than needing to be plugged in.
yes, wirelessly would have been better. And Apple maps to take the whole screen too.

69Sting

Reaction score
I have been messing around with the voice recognition since I got the truck in Sept and found it is just very picky. If you use the steering wheel VOX Button and say the whole address, it is a 50/50 chance of working. When you use the Nav screen to find an address you only put in the number and street, not the whole address. When I am planning a trip, i use the Send n Go feature and it works smoothly. My issue is when you are using truck nav and have your phone plugged in to charge and you try to split screen, the split screen 'nav' button defaults to Apple Maps. grrr

I did a trip from WI to FL and used truck nav, the traffic alert was way behind, i would be stopped or down to 30mph on the interstate before the route showed 'red'. So my wife had Google Maps going on her phone so we could go around interstate clusters.

Yes, they have lots of updates to do.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Ok stupid question. This is I regards to the help screen that comes up when you push the vr button as long as they are enabled. My question is what is listed there. My just says call dial and sometimes tune but not all the time. No find address no go to just those other ones. Since it seems that it doesn’t show any help for navigation is that why I’m having trouble. My son who has the same truck has find address go to send call dial tune. I think I have a computer communication issue. It is at the shop as we speak.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Picked up my truck today. Used vr button and it works if you specified find address not just find or go to. But we did find out that there is no help screen for the navagation at all. If you say help navagation it comes back radio help? We tried a showroom truck and had all the navagation help screens and also the find address and the go to. So there is something wrong somewhere. Again have to Bring it back again. This time they finally agreed with me. Tech said different software for sure between the trucks which were both laramie 1500. If they are sending out new trucks with updated software where is the update for customers who already purchased this truck.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
At this time no update to 12 inch screen. According to dealer there are two software companies that Chrysler deals with for updates and they are feuding over a license. But the showroom truck has all the navigation prompts and navigation help screens. Mine and the showroom truck are different software builds. So I said update to that one which they said they can’t. So now the question is will there ever be an update.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Ok so with all theses 12 inch navigation issues I’m wondering if a swap of a new system would bring this part I’m missing back since a showroom truck has it. I am missing all the navigation help screens since day one. If you use the voice button and ask for navigation help the computer comes back and says radio help? I have no help screen phrases on my screen regarding navigation. My theory is a new 12 inch system would fix what’s missing instead of saying wait for the elusive update since the newer builds have it. I have no idea.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the voice recognition features to work on the 12-in Uconnect? I'm talking specifically about speaking in an address and having it search for it in the navigation and also to reply in a text message play dictating your own message and not having to use their pre-defined selections which are impossible to remember. The microphone in the navigation search bar to the right is great out so obviously that's not activated yet. And as for being able to reply or create a text message by dictating a message it appears that that option is available and lit up in the phone text screen however when you press it nothing happens only these selection below that of the pre-defined reply messages works. it's impossible for us to remember they're predefined messages and say them exactly as they have them written so that's kind of annoying and useless It would be much easier to just be able to speak my message and have it send it just like I'm speaking this post right now on my phone and having it sent to you all. Work perfect right!

so I'm wondering has anyone had any luck with being able to use their voice to enter end address or to create a text message? Get another pretty simple feature that should be available on this $1200 system. Oh and that's besides the fact that the maps our current to only 2017. But that I can live with

View attachment 20983
Just had my Limited in for this very issue and after keeping it all day they tell me that it's a software issue in which Uconnect is not compatible with an iPhone 8 ..... I told them millions of people have iPhone 8 so they need to fix it... I don't believe this and I'm having to use my iPhone as my navigation in a $62,000 truck!!

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just had my Limited in for this very issue and after keeping it all day they tell me that it's a software issue in which Uconnect is not compatible with an iPhone 8 ..... I told them millions of people have iPhone 8 so they need to fix it... I don't believe this and I'm having to use my iPhone as my navigation in a $62,000 truck!!
This has been an issue since 2012, for all Apple phones. I doubt it will ever get fixed. The workaround is to use Siri to do voice to text, that works fairly well

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
This has been an issue since 2012, for all Apple phones. I doubt it will ever get fixed. The workaround is to use Siri to do voice to text, that works fairly well

Yup, Apple is notorious for ****ing over people. How? By forcing third parties (Uconnect) to pay a monthly fee to allow them access to Apple software. It's why Apple Pay doesn't work in nearly as many places as Samsung Pay or other non Apple versions. Apple is just greedy and stupid. Don't blame FCA, blame Apple seriously, ***** to Apple. It's the only way things will change (or go Android and be happy :D ).

tdwilli1

Reaction score
This is exactly why I abandoned Apple years ago. It's their way or nothing.

cjmst23

Reaction score
The voice recognition never works for me. I've tried numerous times to no avail. Has anyone found a way to get a address to work?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mine works the same as it did on my gen4 ram/uconnect. Hit the voice button on the steering wheel and start with 'NAVIGATE TO... "
Follow with #, street, city, state
I'm having about 90% success rate.

Users who are viewing this thread