5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice ?

Brain h

Reaction score
My truck came with the goodyears..bad vibration, horrible ride with these tires.i want to go with Michelin but they only offer one tire that has the recommended load rating, but I really want the defenders as they are rated to be the better tire across the board as far as reviews go.my question is would going below the recommended load rating matter as far as ride comfort

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I didn't wait for issues, I put 22" Defenders on my Limited at 85 miles. (Lowest miles my tire dealer ever recorded for new tires.) They gave me full wholesale cost credit for the stock Goodyears. No regrets, I've had the Goodyears before and couldn't get rid of a 58 mph vibration. This was on my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The Defenders are quiet and smooooooth.

Brain h

Reaction score
Same issue I'm having. Unfortunately for me my dealer isnt willing to work with me on the tires but I will be replacing them this week with michelin...are you noticing any sidewall flex or any adverse effects with the defenders from the weight of the truck?

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
My 2015 Grand Cherokee had Goodyear Fortera HL's on it, and they wore terribly, handled badly and were a mess in the rain or snow. I replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX, and those wore out extremely fast as well (they had a very soft rubber). I went to the Michelin Defender (used the tread warranty and got a great rebate towards the Defenders) and they didn't wear a bit in the next 20k miles before I traded in the Jeep. They handled well, were quiet, and held up to the weight of the Jeep perfectly (almost 5000lbs Curb weight vs 5400 on the RAM).

My Laramie came with Bridgestone Dueler H/L, and they seem to be wearing well and handle quite well. You want a harder rubber with these heavy vehicles I've found.

Tire Rack has a good rating system to help compare different tires with each other, and both the Defender and Bridgestone Dueler H/L seemed to rate best for treadwear, noise and handling for my Jeep.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my Goodyears 8,500 miles so far and they have zero vibrations at any speed. I will at least check into Michelins when it comes time to swap them out.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my Goodyears 8,500 miles so far and they have zero vibrations at any speed. I will at least check into Michelins when it comes time to swap them out.

Same here. I have never owned a set of Goodyear tires that wore well or were vibration free. That's why i'm so surprised mine have been good so far.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
3000 miles on the goodyears, and no vibrations..... always ran coopers on my 12 ram, and got the best out of any tire I put on there.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Goodyears and they also have a little bit of vibration. I am at 13,000 miles currently and can't wait to get some Michelins or BFG's to replace them. My 2007 had the Goodyear Wrangler HP 20" tires and all 4 of them had belt seperation failures. I am at the point of thinking that Goodyear just doesn't have decent quality processes in its manufacturing.

silverbullet

Reaction score
13000 miles on my Goodyears and they are smooth still. I'm going to be lucky to get to 20,000 miles before they're toast though...

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few posts around concerning bad alignment from the factory. Might look at checking the balance and alignment first, unless you’re looking for an excuse to buy better tires... which is something I truly do understand.

Brain h

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few posts around concerning bad alignment from the factory. Might look at checking the balance and alignment first, unless you’re looking for an excuse to buy better tires... which is something I truly do understand.
Man..I've been to two dealers two different road force balance machines to no avail, but yet I can get them to do a run out test on either the tires or the wheels...oh and they aren't going to warranty the tires...so..I'm at the start of the wobble elimination process

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came with the goodyears..bad vibration, horrible ride with these tires.i want to go with Michelin but they only offer one tire that has the recommended load rating, but I really want the defenders as they are rated to be the better tire across the board as far as reviews go.my question is would going below the recommended load rating matter as far as ride comfort

I have had three Ram trucks one car in the past with Bad Year tires! Those tires suck bad! Put a set of Michelin Primacy's on it same size if your running the 20's It will change your truck from night to day difference. This 19 has not been Changed Michelin yet the Bridgestones seem to be much better than any stock tire yet on a Ram. :)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man..I've been to two dealers two different road force balance machines to no avail, but yet I can get them to do a run out test on either the tires or the wheels...oh and they aren't going to warranty the tires...so..I'm at the start of the wobble elimination process

Check the Rim itself make sure rim is good. dealer told me Monday They have had two 19 Rams with bad rims! If rims is okay them put some michlens on it.

Brain h

Reaction score
Check the Rim itself make sure rim is good. dealer told me Monday They have had two 19 Rams with bad rims! If rims is okay them put some michlens on it.
Confirmed just now that the rim is bad.

barr0208

Reaction score
I must of got the right truck here in Canada as my sport has bf Goodrich tires dont know about winter traction(can wait lol) but they are quiet and no vibration problems.

Brain h

Reaction score
I must of got the right truck here in Canada as my sport has bf Goodrich tires dont know about winter traction(can wait lol) but they are quiet and no vibration problems.
Just confirmed that I have a bad rim

badzdad

Reaction score
Same here. I have never owned a set of Goodyear tires that wore well or were vibration free. That's why i'm so surprised mine have been good so far.

Same here. I was initially REALLY upset to have BadYears on the 22s stock on my Laramie because I hated the SR-As so much on my 13 Ram. I'm really shocked to say that ... well they don’t suck. Decent ride, decent grip in the wet and good mileage thus far at 4700 mi on the truck. I barely got the truck off the lot before I started researching better alternative 22in options. So far I'm guessing they will make it to about 35k and be gone at that point. Hopefully there are some better options out there by then.

Last edited:

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Same issue I'm having. Unfortunately for me my dealer isnt willing to work with me on the tires but I will be replacing them this week with michelin...are you noticing any sidewall flex or any adverse effects with the defenders from the weight of the truck?

No, no negatives at all. For me the Defenders are an upgrade in every area. Another consideration is living up North in Washington state we get ice and snow every year for three or four solid months, and the winter performance of the Defenders over the Goodyears is way higher. My first snow drive with the Goodyears was such a disappointment; the switch to Defenders was a real surprise. Matched the ratings on Tire Rack.

Users who are viewing this thread