5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rebel wheel spacers?

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
I'm looking into some wheel spacers. I have read mix reviews. Some said that they are pretty bad for your truck. Suggestions?
I wouldn't do it, puts unnecessary stress on components and could cause failure. your best bet is to do it the right way with a wheel and tire set with the offset that will give you the desired "poke". For example, i was flush with stock wheels and put on 22x10 -25 and now its exactly where I want it (pic attached)

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 170

alangsam

Reaction score
I'm looking into some wheel spacers. I have read mix reviews. Some said that they are pretty bad for your truck. Suggestions?

It’s better to do offsets with the wheels but a small spacer ie 1/4”. isn’t likely to be bad for the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kikokawa4

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, puts unnecessary stress on components and could cause failure. your best bet is to do it the right way with a wheel and tire set with the offset that will give you the desired "poke". For example, i was flush with stock wheels and put on 22x10 -25 and now its exactly where I want it (pic attached)
Thanks!, That looks really good!!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I think spacers are very much like lift kits and strut spacers... everyone has a theory, and often the wrong theory. A hubcentric spacer applies the same stress to the front end, as an offset wheel. The reason people theorize that it's different is because you have a wide range of owners installing an infinite amount of different spacers and some incorrectly, resulting in failures. Just like the garage mechanic that doesn't torque his lug nuts and loses a wheel out in the bush... seen it, lived it.

As long as you use good products, be it offset rims or spacers, you'll have no problems. Follow instructions, torque things correctly... all the usual suspects that lead to failure if not followed.

Edit:
Pros of spacers - keep factory wheels but add drama and looks with wider stance.
Pros of offset wheels - Obvious, don't need a spacer. 10 billion designs and colors/sizes/offsets.

Lize

Reaction score
A hubcentric spacer applies the same stress to the front end, as an offset wheel. The reason people theorize that it's different is because you have a wide range of owners installing an infinite amount of different spacers and some incorrectly, resulting in failures.
I have seen various posts on here with people fitting spacers with hub sizes stated as being larger than the Ram, whilst this may appear to be only a very very small difference, personally I don't feel risking stress on the lugs/nuts is wise and you should definitely get the correct size for the vehicle.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen various posts on here with people fitting spacers with hub sizes stated as being larger than the Ram, whilst this may appear to be only a very very small difference, personally I don't feel risking stress on the lugs/nuts is wise and you should definitely get the correct size for the vehicle.
Amen. That speaks to my comment about garage mechanics taking liberty with fitment and specs that are critical to the longevity of the trucks health.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
I just added 1 inch spacers . Brings the tires out right to the edge of the wheel flair. I think they were $210

Attachments

• 20190422_110342.jpg
    20190422_110342.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 20190422_104309.jpg
    20190422_104309.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 20190422_105321.jpg
    20190422_105321.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 232

RodRow

Reaction score
I just added 1 inch spacers . Brings the tires out right to the edge of the wheel flair. I think they were $210
I’ve been seriously considering the same. I love my stock wheels and my Ridge Grappler tires, just want them out a bit farther. Looks like they are $210+$25 shipping at the only place I’ve found so far.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
I’ve been seriously considering the same. I love my stock wheels and my Ridge Grappler tires, just want them out a bit farther. Looks like they are $210+$25 shipping at the only place I’ve found so far.
My next thing is to do the 2 inch lift

Filet

Reaction score
My next thing is to do the 2 inch lift
Unfortunately the Mopar 2" lift does not take the steep rake out of the truck. I installed it but didn't put the rear spacers on - lifting the front only. Now I have Fox shocks all around and the truck is level.

Cygnus A

Reaction score
Do you have any data to back up your statements? As a mechanical engineer I see no difference in the offset being "on" the wheel, vs just a spacer. The truck will not see the loads any differently.

Steelwheelz

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Mopar 2" lift does not take the steep rake out of the truck. I installed it but didn't put the rear spacers on - lifting the front only. Now I have Fox shocks all around and the truck is level.

What Fox shocks did you use? Can you supply a link or #’s? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel 12

Reaction score

Can you still park in your garage?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, puts unnecessary stress on components and could cause failure. [...]
Interesting. I think spacers are very much like lift kits and strut spacers... everyone has a theory, and often the wrong theory. [...]
Do you have any data to back up your statements? As a mechanical engineer I see no difference in the offset being "on" the wheel, vs just a spacer. The truck will not see the loads any differently.

Just some research to hopefully put this to bed; for OP - a 1" spacer on a stock width/offset wheel, will put more stress on components, however, enough to cause failure? it all depends on what strength the OE components were designed for - considering there's likely a healthy safety margin, you're probably fine for daily driving on paved roads at the least.

for reference, see this chart and post on another board - it's probably the best written explanation of how backspacing and offset play their role in force on your hub.

TL;DR: your OE components are designed to exert a force of 'X' on your hub. pushing the wheel away from the hub will increase the force of 'X' due to no change in contact patch. however; a wider wheel with further offset will mitigate the difference by compensating with width for the offset.

Taken from this thread:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The problem I have with "more stress" is not the fact itself, but the significance of the fact. How much more stress are we talking about? Does putting 1 inch wheel spacers on equal 200 pounds of passenger?? Or whatever?

Anecdotally; I've run 1.25 inch wheel spacers on my Jeep GC for 5 years, over 110,000 KM; never had a single issue crop up, and it's now at 155,000 KM.

silver billet

Reaction score
Just some research to hopefully put this to bed; for OP - a 1" spacer on a stock width/offset wheel, will put more stress on components, however, enough to cause failure? it all depends on what strength the OE components were designed for - considering there's likely a healthy safety margin, you're probably fine for daily driving on paved roads at the least.

for reference, see this chart and post on another board - it's probably the best written explanation of how backspacing and offset play their role in force on your hub.

1557872168533-png.25083

I'm a little confused by this image though (doesn't take much to confuse me so bear with me). And this comment is directed at those who make the claim that it's better to use a rim instead of a wheel spacer to push the rubber out.

We start with the image on the left, this is "factory". Ok. Now we move to the middle image where it looks like we added a 1 inch spacer. HOWEVER, the wheel offset has also changed, it's moved to the left by 1 inch; which means, we didn't actualy move the RUBBER anywhere between example 1 and example 2, the tire is still hitting the ground in the same spot, so that's why the forces on first image vs second are the same.

However, when we move to the third image/example; there we added 1 inch spacers without compensating by moving the wheel offset. So in this case, the rubber hits the road 1 inch to the left, so there in that case our load on the bearing changes.

But; I don't believe it makes a difference to the bearing, HOW the rubber was moved 1 inch to the left. If you used a different offset rim, or a wheel spacer, the force on that bearing will change equivalently.

No?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The example given was an illustrated way of saying you can offset and spacer your brains out as long as the load stays centered to the factory spec, it won't change torque in example 1 and 2... load never changes in all 3. The extension of the contact patch in example 3 increases the torque, but by how much and it's effect on the drivetrain is not explained. Possibly because (I believe) the difference is insignificant.

silver billet

Reaction score
The example given was an illustrated way of saying you can offset and spacer your brains out as long as the load stays centered to the factory spec, it won't change torque in example 1 and 2... load never changes in all 3. The extension of the contact patch in example 3 increases the torque, but by how much and it's effect on the drivetrain is not explained. Possibly because (I believe) the difference is insignificant.

Right, I agree with that; it's not the fact that you're using a spacer or wheel offset, it's the fact that the rubber tire is moving outwards, not how it moves outwards. So that image is explaining why Blvckr3bel is wrong when he and others assert that you need to use a different rim to move the rubber and that it's worse on the hub to use a wheel spacer.

I also believe that any affect on the hub is insignificant compared to the stress that is already on it, or allowed to be on it (towing a trailer). But I'd still love to know how much an inch effects the stress of the hub vs extra passenger weight, just to put in perspective.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@the wanderer you are right to ask and I agree with the fact that the actual amount of force change is really what needs to be known - you also deduced the diagram pretty correctly, from the left image 1 and 2 are two different offsets compensated by the spacer. Image 3 is using the offset of image one but adding a spacer... Pretty much what everybody on this board seems to do is keep the OEM offset wheel and add a spacer. Coming from the sport sedan world, and that graphic coming from a Porsche forum, the impact of added force is different. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the added force is insignificant, but with calculation you could actually find out how much you're reducing axle payload capacity by adding moment torque to the axle assembly.

All that aside, a 1" space might decrease bearing life, but by what amount? 10k miles over 100k of driving? It's likely no big deal other than having double the failure points and double the lug torque to ensure doesn't fail

Users who are viewing this thread