5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 have diesel available?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coolant in oil has nothing to with the heads on these engines, the oil cooler itself has a gasket that can fail and cross contaminate. Got any. numbers to back that claim up of more failures? I highly doubt they exceed the number of Hemi header bolt failures.
Never said there was correlation between coolant in my oil and my heads leaking please re-read my comment. Just stated those where some of my issues due to you stating I only had emissions issues and no experience with motor issues which would be false.

Also, yes do some research online ecodiesels have had more issues then the hemi hence the investigation and lawsuit also. I can tell your a diesel lover and thats fine I have had bad experience with ecodiesels and prefer a hemi. I had engine and emissions issues. @Jared B also stated he wouldn't be comfortable buying an ecodiesel.

@YoAdrian and @SCasey89 also have had issues. Read their posts. Im not making this up lol Diesel's maintenance is more expensive. Diesel fuel is more expensive. If your not driving a lot of miles it would be pointless to get a diesel to get any gain for the MPG. The engine also cost more then the hemi.

The ecodiesel is to new and has not proved it self yet like the hemi has. I wouldn't buy another ecodiesel but thats just me.

Here are some URLs of that discuss ecodiesels issues and seized engines:
https://mccunewright.com/dodge-ram-ecodiesel-engine-failure-class-action-lawsuit/
https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/...ent-reveals-current-engine-failure-rate.1415/
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html
https://carbuzz.com/news/why-new-ecodiesel-owners-need-to-beware-of-engine-failure
https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/ecodiesel-engine-failures-anecdotal-and-reviews.171433/
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/43186-eco-hemi.html

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im not making this up

@alacombe No you are not sir. @Chirp08 it’s a real problem, though FCA understandably would like us to believe a) it is not or b) it is fixed. Evidence is not in their favor though.

Perhaps FCA’s own message from 2016 will be more convincing to you than our words or the many, many failure write-ups out there: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...sed-fca-emails-disclose-bearing-failures.html

Of note:
“We have a bearing problem due to premature bearing wear due to inadequate oil film thickness
at low rpm high engine torque conditions.”
And:
“These failures increased 61% May-July 2016 as compared to JanuaryMarch, 2016. The failures increased another 30% August-October, 2016 averaging 215/month. We have been holding to clear the 2017 MY cert through your teams. We cannot wait any longer with this frequency of failure.”

Ok so there’s some numbers if the littered forums weren’t enough. Even when most engines have worked there can still be an absolutely unacceptable high failure rate. I hope that helps inform any potential buyers about the problem out there. @Jared B is far from a Ram critic (y) but he wouldn’t go there yet, perhaps other informed customers should exercise prudence as well. This site is a community, we help each other out. I wouldn’t recommend that engine to my friends, family, or any of you, no matter how tempting the paper specs, until FCA or VM Motori have confirmed fixes for their bearing reliability problem.

As always be informed, make your own choice.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
They have had a higher than acceptable failure rate. Sure duty cycle and maintenance matter but it still largely seems to be either a you got a good one or you didn't. Fortunately they are covered for 100k not 60 and replaced with a new engine plus balance of warranty or available full warranty plus tow and loaner. Ram has even helped or met some individuals half way so to speak past the 100k. More than I have ever seen Ford do.

I like the quiet smooth torque crazy efficient engine and have had success with mine towing TTs commercially. I lost a head gasket at 371k but honestly probably bear some of the responsibility of that. I was fortunate got a motor and swap done inside a week. I paid $5,500 for a complete engine turbo fuel pump etc plus 24 month unlimited mile warranty. Basic R&R non coastal rates $1,500. Its still in my truck today at 490,000 miles and another year under warranty. I have no complaints with that.

The 2nd gen I'm told by those who used to do work for VM Motori and have friends that work their will not have bearing failures. Rumored plan/goal is to be able to order it by end of first quarter and start to see the first 2nd gens next summer.

Click the link below and scroll up for pictures of ole Blu

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ole-girl-pics.659/#post-9008

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man...I miss my EcoDiesel. The low end torque on demand and economy are sorely missed. The Hemi is a great motor but it gets 13mpg if I drive the same way I drove my EcoDiesel. I'd be getting 24mpg if I had the ED. I have to drive like an old man to get 17mpg now and the torque just isn't there.

Doc

Reaction score
Man...I miss my EcoDiesel. The low end torque on demand and economy are sorely missed. The Hemi is a great motor but it gets 13mpg if I drive the same way I drove my EcoDiesel. I'd be getting 24mpg if I had the ED. I have to drive like an old man to get 17mpg now and the torque just isn't there.
I have been holding off my order waiting VERY patiently for the new EcoDiesel. I hope im making the right decision.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Well Doc if rumor/goal is right order by March 30 & receive by June. Hoping Allpar or this site has more leaks about the ED soon. If not likely see some announcement in January. I procrastinated 6 months for the 8 speed then waited a year for the ED. Looking back it wasn't so bad and since I have been very happy with my patient determination to catch these more dramatic technology jumps or improvements. The 2nd gen ED should have its short comings resolved and be a real fine truck.

Reactions: Doc

Chirp08

Reaction score
@alacombe No you are not sir. @Chirp08 it’s a real problem, though FCA understandably would like us to believe a) it is not or b) it is fixed. Evidence is not in their favor though.

Perhaps FCA’s own message from 2016 will be more convincing to you than our words or the many, many failure write-ups out there: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...sed-fca-emails-disclose-bearing-failures.html

Of note:
“We have a bearing problem due to premature bearing wear due to inadequate oil film thickness
at low rpm high engine torque conditions.”
And:
“These failures increased 61% May-July 2016 as compared to JanuaryMarch, 2016. The failures increased another 30% August-October, 2016 averaging 215/month. We have been holding to clear the 2017 MY cert through your teams. We cannot wait any longer with this frequency of failure.”

Ok so there’s some numbers if the littered forums weren’t enough. Even when most engines have worked there can still be an absolutely unacceptable high failure rate. I hope that helps inform any potential buyers about the problem out there. @Jared B is far from a Ram critic (y) but he wouldn’t go there yet, perhaps other informed customers should exercise prudence as well. This site is a community, we help each other out. I wouldn’t recommend that engine to my friends, family, or any of you, no matter how tempting the paper specs, until FCA or VM Motori have confirmed fixes for their bearing reliability problem.

As always be informed, make your own choice.

I'm not denying there is AN issue but even then, Ram was putting out around 8000 Ecodiesels a month and with 215 failing at peak thats only 2% of production engines with an issue. I think we'd all agree that is high, but you read threads like this and you'd think you had a 50/50 shot at failure and that is simply not true.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4 month old debate here...

I'm not denying there is AN issue
Earlier in the thread you implied that the ecodiesel failures were caused by poor break in technique and/or sometimes using the vehicle for something that you usually don’t use it for... that sounded like you were defending the engine design and blaming consumers for not using their trucks properly. I took issue with your statements; sure sometimes when a machine breaks the operator is at fault, but this machine has a design problem and excessive failure rates.

only 2% of production engines with an issue
By issue you mean catastrophic engine failure roughly in the first couple years of driving, not boding well for the long run, so yes, 2% seems too high.

you'd think you had a 50/50 shot at failure and that is simply not true
You are arguing against a point that no one has made - that is called a strawman argument and does not belong in this dialogue.

To the extent that this post is of any value to the thread, it is with the best of intentions that I hope all of you folks excited about the EcoDiesel Ram actively question whether FCA and VM Motori have truly addressed the lower lubrication and resulting main bearing longevity problems. If they have not, I would recommend staying away until reliability is confirmed... but hey if y’all want to buy their product it’s your money, and I truly hope it works out ok.

Doc

Reaction score

Earlier in the thread you implied that the ecodiesel failures were caused by poor break in technique and/or sometimes using the vehicle for something that you usually don’t use it for... that sounded like you were defending the engine design and blaming consumers for not using their trucks properly. I took issue with your statements; sure sometimes when a machine breaks the operator is at fault, but this machine has a design problem and excessive failure rates.

By issue you mean catastrophic engine failure roughly in the first couple years of driving, not boding well for the long run, so yes, 2% seems too high.

You are arguing against a point that no one has made - that is called a strawman argument and does not belong in this dialogue.

To the extent that this post is of any value to the thread, it is with the best of intentions that I hope all of you folks excited about the EcoDiesel Ram actively question whether FCA and VM Motori have truly addressed the lower lubrication and resulting main bearing longevity problems. If they have not, I would recommend staying away until reliability is confirmed... but hey if y’all want to buy their product it’s your money, and I truly hope it works out ok.
I appreciate your insight! I hope the issues will be addressed and will patiently watch threads and news articles to see what issues arise before ordering.

Chirp08

Reaction score

I'm not quite sure how you can sit there and make this assumption "that sounded like you were defending the engine design and blaming consumers for not using their trucks properly" and then simultaneously say I'm replying to things nobody argued. I stated an observation garnered from all the Ecodiesel forums/Facebook groups. Clearly something is not perfect with the engine.

But whatever, same team here man. Hopefully the next one is top notch, I'm waiting to put my order in and enjoying the hell out of mine until then.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I'm curious as well when the eco will be ready. Seems the information on the web is pretty scarce from release date to HP ratings. But I know with fresh competition, there has to be some number boost.

Doc

Reaction score
I'm curious as well when the eco will be ready. Seems the information on the web is pretty scarce from release date to HP ratings. But I know with fresh competition, there has to be some number boost.
I'm thinking early summer... with ordering available late spring... this is only conjecture based on reading forums and online articles.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BMW 4.4L twin-turbo V8's were blowing up earlier this decade. They seem to be fine now after adjustments.

Likewise, I'd be willing to give the 2nd Gen Ecodiesel a chance... but has the EPA taken the wind out of the sails?

Having never owned a diesel, some things I read make me want to keep it that way. Specifically, lots of DPF and regen horror stories out there...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear ya Jake. I don't have the patience to wait til summer anyway.

Ecodiesel... maybe a siren call

VernDiesel

Reaction score
A4DFBF6A-A89E-45E6-B723-8EBBDE73D655.jpeg
Good thing I didn’t listen to chicken little. Yep the first gen has had problems with what is it a rod bolt breaking or backing off causing it to slip a bearing. Zero or Hero seems by 100k 95% are still heros. Failure rate to high? Yep. You think VM Motori won't have that resolved when the 2nd gen hits the streets. 3 time Wards best engine this smooth quiet lil torquer. 30 Hwy 15 pulling Airsteams my old 6 speed Hemi struggled to do much better when empty. Buy what suits your needs. Hemi Pentastar Ecodiesel whats wrong with choice?

Yes the fuel savings paid for the $2,600 upgrade over the Hemi many times over. This motor was set up for easy service. I do my own oil changes every 10k $65 with full synthetic. The extra maintenance cost over a gasser is a farce IMO for me it amounted to a $30 Mopar fuel filter/water separator every 30k and 8 gallons of DEF every 10k. Truckstop pump price 2.69 a gallon. A diesel will however cost more to repair than a gasser. But I didn't have much non warranty repair costs for the first 350k. (powertrain warranty 100k) Not sure what repairs maintenance costs I would of had with the Hemi but most people don't keep a truck 350k anyway.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those that don't get the diesel advantage never will. That doesn't make them right. The commercial haulers are all diesel for a reason. I do wish the EPA hadn't complicated diesels in recent years. That's a shame.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was a diesel mechanic in the Army and I love them. I can't wait for the ecodiesel to come out and order it.

But isn't it true that the military versions of the Ecodiesel come from Banks Engineering? Which would mean that those military Ecodiesels were gone through with a fine-tooth comb and upgraded to military specs by one of the most knowledgeable diesel shops on the planet, which also has the highest integrity of any business in America, which would give the military Ecodiesels a significant quality advantage over the run-of-the-mill, production line Ecodiesels that the public buys.

Can you say anything about the conditions under which the military Ecodiesels operated, and what kind of reliability they had? I understand it might be classified info and you can't say anything. But if you are honestly allowed to share your experiences & insights on the military Ecodiesel, I think 5thgenrams subscribers would love to have your perspective.

Separately, is there ANYONE out there who has specific insider knowledge as to what improvements VM and FCA made to the various, reportedly weaker aspects of the Gen-1 Ecodiesel? I.e. bottom-end issues, camshaft gear issues, EGR issues, etc.?

Brian1982

Reaction score
I never worked on an ecodiesel in the military. We had Cummins, Detroit, etc. Worked on the Bradley's, wheels, and construction equipment

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/