5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW 3.6L Pentastar V6 with eTorque

J

jimh4662@

Yes V8, if you were getting a small truck I would not advise. But pretty sturdy truck to push around with a 6 cylinder. Just my twist on the option. I guess if you used the Ram as a shuttle, currier or HOV, maybe 6 cyl. I'm old school. More power is better. If your looking for economy I don't think it's significant of difference.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I don't tow, my main uses for the truck would be people moving and carrying around camping and triathlon gear sporadically throughout the year, and carrying several hundred pounds in the bed once or twice a month, so I don't need a ton of power. If the official ratings give it decent performance and decent EPA and real world mpg, then I'd likely be fine with the V6 versus the Hemi.

All that being said, I won't order until I've had a chance to test drive all three engine options and decide which I like best, so I might end up with a Hemi or Hemi with eTorque after all.

J

jimh4662@

Wise move. Luckily we still have some choices we can make for ourselves.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
habu987 said:
I don't tow, my main uses for the truck would be people moving and carrying around camping and triathlon gear sporadically throughout the year, and carrying several hundred pounds in the bed once or twice a month, so I don't need a ton of power. If the official ratings give it decent performance and decent EPA and real world mpg, then I'd likely be fine with the V6 versus the Hemi.

All that being said, I won't order until I've had a chance to test drive all three engine options and decide which I like best, so I might end up with a Hemi or Hemi with eTorque after all.
Sounds like u need a mini van

habu987

Reaction score
Nope, nada, nein!

Drove my mom's Dodge Grand Caravan as a teenager, never again will I drive a minivan if I can help it!
263a.png

D

Deleted member103

alacombe said:
Get the V8!
That's a "matter of fact" opinion for sure ! I had the "newly-revised" 2002 version in my 2003 and LOVED it . . . even without the 8 down to 4 on the Interstate tech. ! But, for me, times are a changing, and I no longer Tow a Big Travel Trailer or heavy aluminum Boat, so "UNLESS" the V6 etorque-thing is a "bust" that's my 1st choice ! Obviously, if it does have Initial-Problems," say on the scope of the 9 speed tranny, then I will most likely switch to the std. V8 ! I don't have the luxury of waiting around "forever" these days & I just want to "GET BACK OUT" Off the Road ! Catch my drift ? I won't have to or need to "TEST" the std. V8 - its pedigree is Unquestionable & I have Full Faith in its "Parents" blood line (ps; like that analogy "dd"?) .
263a.png

1f44d.png

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
That's a "matter of fact" opinion for sure ! I had the "newly-revised" 2002 version in my 2003 and LOVED it . . . even without the 8 down to 4 on the Interstate tech. ! But, for me, times are a changing, and I no longer Tow a Big Travel Trailer or heavy aluminum Boat, so "UNLESS" the V6 etorque-thing is a "bust" that's my 1st choice ! Obviously, if it does have Initial-Problems," say on the scope of the 9 speed tranny, then I will most likely switch to the std. V8 ! I don't have the luxury of waiting around "forever" these days & I just want to "GET BACK OUT" Off the Road ! Catch my drift ? I won't have to or need to "TEST" the std. V8 - its pedigree is Unquestionable & I have Full Faith in its "Parents" blood line (ps; like that analogy "dd"?) .
263a.png

1f44d.png
Actually its called "sarcasm" lol AKA a JOKE

D

Deleted member103

alacombe said:
Actually its called "sarcasm" lol AKA a JOKE
Guess the "JOKE" was wasted on me ?
263a.png
My 1st sentence-opinion, is based on NOT seeing any emoji-help to determine the "
funniness" ! The entire rest of my writing is personal experience and nothing to do with "your apparent sarcasm" . . . SO, if your having an itch difficult to scratch may I suggest some anti-itch powder . . . now THAT is a touch of Sarcasm in case you missed it !
263a.png

1f606.png

263a.png

1f44d.png
. . . I'm just a
1f607.png
!?

habu987

Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on the V6?

Last I heard, they were starting production in August. Anyone heard anything different? Once it goes into production, I hope the Ram brochure is correct and it becomes the base engine on all models.

Speaking of the brochure, unless I'm reading it wrong, the air suspension is not available with the V6. Anyone heard anything different?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The way I read it is optional on L1, H1, H2, X1, X2, P1, P2 packages which all come standard with V6, and only with Hemi on Rebel 4x4 Crew Cab with X1 and X2 packages

habu987

Reaction score
The way I read it is optional on L1, H1, H2, X1, X2, P1, P2 packages which all come standard with V6, and only with Hemi on Rebel 4x4 Crew Cab with X1 and X2 packages
Ah, good to know I misread it!

I'm still waiting to test drive a Hemi eTorque and a V6. Test drove a limited with the air suspension yesterday; really liked the suspension, so I was hoping it'd be available with the V6.

I'm also looking at the brochure on my phone, which can't magnify it enough to make all the small text legible on the packages pages...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my $500 bonus cash in the mail and noticed in the new brochure they boldly advertise the V6 and list it at 27mpg highway. No city numbers shown but this is progress, right?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pictures I’ve seen of the ETorque 3.6 indicate that the engine itself is the upgraded Pentastar. The upgraded Pentastar includes variable valve lift (in addition to the VVT on the first generation), cooled EGR, 8 way injectors (vs 4), revised intake manifold, etc, etc. The EGR cooler is clearly visible in the photos. While peak power/torque remain the same as the 1st gen, it has more torque in the lower rpms and is more fuel efficient.

Question is, why isn’t Ram marketing those upgrades to the 3.6 and just marketing the eTorque? Was the upgraded Pentastar available in the 2018? I didn’t think so.

Should be a pretty strong motor with the upgraded internals and the eTorque. It’s the ‘Best In Class’ base engine in my opinion.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Nice I can't wait to drive one and try it out. I like my first gen Pentastar.:)

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice I can't wait to drive one and try it out. I like my first gen Pentastar.:)
I have the first gen Pentastar as well. It’s a great motor but I’d really like to try one of these new ones with more low end torque from the upgraded engine and eTorque. There’s plenty of power in my 1st gen once the revs are up but always wished it had more low end.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I have the first gen Pentastar as well. It’s a great motor but I’d really like to try one of these new ones with more low end torque from the upgraded engine and eTorque. There’s plenty of power in my 1st gen once the revs are up but always wished it had more low end.

Yes me too. I normally throw it in tow/haul mode to keep the revs up a bit.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Ah, sketchy dealerships being sketchy on cars.com...Ram Tradesman advertised with the 3.6, view it on the dealer website and it's actually got the 5.7: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/741844302/overview/.

Lots of those around. Some of the dealers around me were advertising Rebel's way back in March. I said I would be right over and see one. Their response was "well we don't really have them". Then why advertise it. Not getting my business.;)

habu987

Reaction score
Lots of those around. Some of the dealers around me were advertising Rebel's way back in March. I said I would be right over and see one. Their response was "well we don't really have them". Then why advertise it. Not getting my business.;)
Yeah. Generally if they've just got a stock photo up, I don't give the listing a second glance no matter what it says, but this one had pictures of an actual truck so I thought it might actually be the real deal...nope.

habu987

Reaction score
I messaged the Ram facebook page on Tuesday asking about availability of the v6 in all trims, per the brochure, once it's in production. No response, but I figured the chances of them actually responding were pretty low anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread