5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW 5.7L HEMI with eTorque

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know Ram is not giving away the batteries so they have to cost less than $800. This is a slightly different chemistry but properly formulated Li-Ion batteries can be obtained with a 3 year warranty so I see no issue with the eTorque battery having the same.

I am expecting some issues down the road with the interpretation of "power train." I can see the argument that the battery is not part, but there's no way Ram can claim that the motor/generator is not part of the power train.

In my mind the battery replacement cost pain is inversely proportional to the amount of grin eTorque adds to takeoff throttle - unknown at this point.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All this is a reminder to myself why I'm forking out the money for that lifetime extended warranty discussed in a different thread. I plan on keeping this thing for 15 years at least. Between the eTorque, touchscreen, and air suspension, I'm guessing I'll eventually get my money out of that warranty and be very pleased with both it and my truck.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
All this is a reminder to myself why I'm forking out the money for that lifetime extended warranty discussed in a different thread. I plan on keeping this thing for 15 years at least. Between the eTorque, touchscreen, and air suspension, I'm guessing I'll eventually get my money out of that warranty and be very pleased with both it and my truck.
Where did you get a lifetime warranty

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know Ram is not giving away the batteries so they have to cost less than $800. This is a slightly different chemistry but properly formulated Li-Ion batteries can be obtained with a 3 year warranty so I see no issue with the eTorque battery having the same.

I am expecting some issues down the road with the interpretation of "power train." I can see the argument that the battery is not part, but there's no way Ram can claim that the motor/generator is not part of the power train.

In my mind the battery replacement cost pain is inversely proportional to the amount of grin eTorque adds to takeoff throttle - unknown at this point.
How do you figure its gotta be less then $800?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you figure its gotta be less then $800?
$800 is what they charge as an uplift for eTorque so that covers cost of battery, motor/generator, extra wiring less cost of normal alternator. Ram could be subsidizing this to get more folks buying eTorque but I doubt it.
I take the $800 uplift as Ram's cost plus whatever margin they add to the line for profit.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$800 is what they charge as an uplift for eTorque so that covers cost of battery, motor/generator, extra wiring less cost of normal alternator. Ram could be subsidizing this to get more folks buying eTorque but I doubt it.
I take the $800 uplift as Ram's cost plus whatever margin they add to the line for profit.
I would imagine the $800 isn't including labor for install though.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would imagine the $800 isn't including labor for install though.
No, but it can't be much. Seems like a DIY project too. Just remove seat back, pull back wall carpet off and replace with a few bolts.
I'm also wondering if/when aftermarket batteries will take off for this application. It's going to happen sometime with the number of mild hybrids increasing.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I predict the battery will be the least likely part to cause a problem.

DIY indeed, easier than changing the oil on a 5.7, guaranteed!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I've got the same through Demontrond. I would advise reading the fine print though. They have to do the oil changes unless you get over the phone authorization for someone else to do it.
Yeah, I'm going to ask the question to be sure, but from what I read I can get service done at any licensed repair shop. I plan on going through that dealership though, even though there is another 1 mile away.....they failed to work with me when ordering so they lost my business. That's literal too. It was this is the rebate, take it or leave it. So I chuckled, got up and walked out.

ponypride

Reaction score
I ordered a Laramie with Etorque last week. While I was negotiating the cost of this option went from $1,995 (vs. non Etorque at $1,195) to over $2,600. I have the build sheet with the pricing. Dealer absorbed the cost difference.

rvsixer

Reaction score
I ordered a Laramie with Etorque last week. While I was negotiating the cost of this option went from $1,995 (vs. non Etorque at $1,195) to over $2,600. I have the build sheet with the pricing. Dealer absorbed the cost difference.
Hmmmphhhh. Between that price hike, and the payload hit, etorque may be off my shopping list.

mikeofokc

Reaction score
Well the e-torques have arrived on dealer lots. I ordered mine in May so hopefully it arrives soon. I did drive a Big Horn with e-torque and was impressed with its acceleration and lack of delays from dead stop to 60mph. Of course e-torque really only used at lower speeds like up to 20mph.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well the e-torques have arrived on dealer lots. I ordered mine in May so hopefully it arrives soon. I did drive a Big Horn with e-torque and was impressed with its acceleration and lack of delays from dead stop to 60mph. Of course e-torque really only used at lower speeds like up to 20mph.
eTorque, yes...RamBox, no!

imadogman

Reaction score
I saw the e-torque price increase on the website (from $1995 to $2645) $650 is a significant increase.

ponypride

Reaction score
The build site I used still shows $1,995. I know it went up to $2,645, but can you send me the link on where you saw that? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread