5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snowstorm Last Night, Noise in 4WD

Andoskyy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have about 400 miles on my Limited. First time using 4WD last night in the snow and I noticed a humming/whirring noise (only under load) that went away as soon as I put it in 2WD. It sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger's side, but who knows how sound bounces around under the truck.

I have the anti-spin LSD option. Does anyone know if 4WD locks the rear diff, or does it stay open until it slips even when in 4WD? If it does lock, maybe that could be it?

Anyone notice anything similar? It's not obnoxious, but noticeable.

Thanks in advance!

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I also have a limited and I notice the same sound in 4 wheel drive. I don’t think it’s coming from the rear but I know exactly what sound your talking about. No idea what it is

bonebro

Reaction score
Same weird sound in 4wd. I notice when under load and turning. The TSB for this issue only applies to 10 days of build dates in March of 2018...

Andoskyy

Reaction score
I also have a limited and I notice the same sound in 4 wheel drive. I don’t think it’s coming from the rear but I know exactly what sound your talking about. No idea what it is

Do you also have 3.91 and anti-spin? I do, and Bonebro does...wondering if this is a theme...

Andoskyy

Reaction score
Same weird sound in 4wd. I notice when under load and turning. The TSB for this issue only applies to 10 days of build dates in March of 2018...
What TSB are you referencing? I did a lot of searching before I posted this and didn't come across a TSB. Thanks!

79 300

Reaction score
Did any of you ever have a 4WD truck before? I have had several, and all of them make some kind of noise when in 4WD. It is the chains in the transfer case, as well as the drive shafts and hubs working. As for the anti-spin LSD, that works independently. Being in 4WD does not affect it. It works with clutches that transfer the power to the wheel that is not spinning.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Dumb question but where do you find the build date. I bought my truck beginning of May so I think it may have been built in March

Andoskyy

Reaction score
Did any of you ever have a 4WD truck before? I have had several, and all of them make some kind of noise when in 4WD. It is the chains in the transfer case, as well as the drive shafts and hubs working. As for the anti-spin LSD, that works independently. Being in 4WD does not affect it. It works with clutches that transfer the power to the wheel that is not spinning.

Yeah, 1991 Nissan pickup, 2005 Chevy Blazer, 1996 Tacoma, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150. Grand Cherokee had an entirely different drive system, but the F150 was fine. I don't count the Nissan, Blazer, and Tacoma because they were 3x as loud as newer vehicles, so wouldn't even hear what we're referring to. haha

Again, it's not an awful noise, I just don't feel like its right.

bonebro

Reaction score
Dumb question but where do you find the build date. I bought my truck beginning of May so I think it may have been built in March

@Ksilva211 the build date is on the right side of the sticker inside the drivers door. It is in the form of Month Day Hour.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I've noticed a noise in mine too. It's not horrible but there's definitely something there. I plan on bringing it up when I take my truck in for other issues.

Andoskyy

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback...at least I know I'm not going crazy.

Will have the dealer check it out eventually.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an August build and I used 4wd back in November and didn't hear anything.

Users who are viewing this thread