Over the past couple of weeks, brand-new 2023 Ram 1500 half-ton pickups have begun to arrive on dealer showroom floors. While not much has changed for the 2023 model year, the Ram 1500 soldiers on as the best-selling vehicle in the Chrysler Group’s lineup.
While looking at the current inventory arriving on dealer lots, we realized that it appears that the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (SHAP) is sending out a lot of the popular Big Horn models powered by the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 with standard eTorque mild-hybrid system. The powertrain is good for 305 horsepower and 271 lb.-ft. of torque and gets a fuel economy rating of 20 MPG City / 25 MPG Hwy / 22 MPG Combined.
We did happen to see a few 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with eTorque mild-hybrid system and 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 models out there. No doubt high gas and extremely high diesel fuel prices have people looking more at the Pentastar option.
It does sadden us to see the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 on its way out, in January. We have had a lot of experience driving the EcoDiesel models, including one in our long-term fleet. The diesel half-ton pickups did show us really good fuel economy reaching as high as 32 mpg in certain trim levels, and it was very common to see 28 MPG on the highway with our Rebel tester in 2020.
The move comes as Stellantis shifts away from diesel in all markets in favor of electrification, something we will see in concept form next month at CES 2023 with the unveiling of the Ram Revolution Concept, a precursor to the upcoming 2025 Ram 1500 battery-electric vehicle (BEV) due out in 2024.
This particular 2023 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition Crew Cab 4×4 is currently in inventory at Brunswick Auto Mall in Brunswick, Ohio. With a price tag of $59,900, Big Horns are easily hitting the $60,000 mark today without being fully loaded.
Breaking down the window sticker, we see that the 2023 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4×4 with a 5-foot, 7-inch bed now has a base price of $49,125. This truck does feature quite a few options, like:
- Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat Exterior Paint – $200
- Night Edition – $2,445
- Accent Color Door Handles
- Accent Color Premium Power Mirrors
- Black Headlamp Bezels
- 20-Inch x 9-Inch Premium Painted/Polished Wheels
- 275/55R20 OWL All-Series Tires
- Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
- Black Interior Accents
- 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio – $145
- 5.7-liter HEMI V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine with Stop/Start – $2,995
- 23-Gallon Fuel Tank
- Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group – $3,095
- 2-Way Power Lumbar Adjustable Driver Seat
- Handsfree Phone and Audio
- Uconnect 5 with 8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display
- Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer-Case
- 2nd Row In-Floor Storage Bins
- Class IV Receiver Hitch
- 4G LTE WiFi Hot Spot
- 9-Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Front Fog Lamps
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- ParkSense Front and Rear Park Assist with Stop
- 8-Way Power Driver Seat
- Power-Adjustable Pedals
- Power-Folding Mirrors
- Rear Power-Sliding Window
- Remote-Start System
- 6-Month SiriusXM Subscription
- Ram Connect (Connected Services) Trial
What surprises us is the options it doesn’t have for $60,000, things like LED headlamps, LED taillamps, 8.4-Inch Uconnect 5 with Navigation, and premium vinyl and cloth seats (something that is available on the Big Horn-based Built To Serve models).
For more information about the 2023 Ram 1500 lineup and its new features, be sure to visit our in-depth breakdown page. For availability, be sure to contact your local Ram dealer for more details.
2023 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition Crew Cab 4×4 Image Gallery:
You must be logged in to post a comment.